Thread: The Maritime Soundscape and the Sailor as “Other”

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default The Maritime Soundscape and the Sailor as “Other”

For some reason, I was alerted to this academic paper. It should be of interest to you fellow nautical history buffs. It is so funny I'm attracting attention at work by laughing so loudly.

Radical History Review, Jan 2015, pp. 106-122

“Nothing but Noyse”

The Political Complexities of English Maritime and Colonial Soundscapes

Johan Heinsen

...In the study of colonial pasts, aural metaphors such as noise, dissonance, and silence
    are often employed by historians and theorists to signify or deconstruct the discourses of
    difference between colonizer and colonized. YAR MATEY

Within this line of thought, historians have perceived the ship—
    an essential agent of both capitalism and colonialism—as a type of factory, built upon the
    exploitation of labor, which in turn produced hitherto overlooked solidarities and traditions
    of resistance. SCURVY DOGS

Pirates and naval officers were two distinctly different (even opposed) social groups... AND YE MAY LAY TO THAT

The noise of the sailors was both to be discarded as inherently nonsensical and to be fought vehemently as deeply dangerous. AND THEM AS DIES'LL BE THE LUCKY ONES.

My God. Here's the whole thing:
    Nothing_but_Noyse_The_Political_Complex.pdf

Wow. I loved this. Thanks, David. Thinking of you getting into trouble for reading about sailing at work makes me laugh myself. Make a run for it! Meet me @ Dura Mater in an hour!

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Thanks, it is nice to have a laugh in the middle of the day.

I'm on a mailing list because I once downloaded this paper: Hagin – Influence of a conservative sleep management strategy during a solo Pacific Ocean crossing on anxiety and perceived fatigue: A case study (Journal of Sports Sicences 2012)

There is a collection of articles on sleep management here: https://sfbaysss.org/shtp2016/seminars/ some of which is archived at the SSS site, and it might be of interest to re-publicize this info for current SHTP racers, who may have to deal with "anxiety and perceived fatigue". Yar.