Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: R2ak 2019

The continuing saga of Team Soggykru, the 24' Malcom Tennant Streaker skippered by singlehander Shawn Dunand. Yes, I have a video of him sleeping on his boat in Port Townsend days ago, and then being interviewed when I woke him up: "Hey! You! Wake up!" You'll love it, he's so laid back. But my editing software is back in Oakland, so you'll have to wait.

In the meantime, Shawn is mildly stressed today.

Name:  Shawn and friend.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  400.3 KB

Somehow on the ride up here to Victoria Shawn Dumand's catamaran got bashed and he arrived with a damaged ama. So he spent most of yesterday stuffing huge rubber bladders under the entire starboard length of his boat. Then he and a friend inflated the bladders with air and up the side of the boat came. Then down again when the bladders either popped out or became punctured. Over and over again.

Name:  Russell Brown under Shawn's cat.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  276.9 KB

Russell Brown paddled over in one of his nesting dinghies and assisted for awhile until it was time to go to the skippers' meeting. It was one of those classic boat experiences, the kind where people put their heads together and attempt to problem solve. Shawn needed to get the ama off the water long enough to dry it out so he can patch the fiberglass.

Name:  bladder.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  390.0 KB

Today is a new day, and it is clear that Shawn, who is based in B.C. , has called upon friends. And the cavalry has arrived. I can see people swarming around his boat from here. A singlehander needs friends and it is clear that Shawn has 'em in spades.

Spoke with the crew of LOLA again yesterday, on the dock before they got invited aboard Envolee to see what was what.

"How did it go on the way up here?" I asked.
    "Good."
    "Did you have fun?" I asked
    "Yeah, it was fun."
    "Were there any issues?" I asked.
    They looked at each other, shifty-eyed. "Well, there were some tuning issues." I waited them out.
    "We got them figured out." Then they grinned. "On one side. While under way. But that was okay, because we were on the same tack the whole race."

I pitched the Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race to them. We'll see. They are old enough to drink in Canada, but not in California. Maybe that new law will pass.

The drama continues with Shawn's boat, Pteradactyl. Here he is in the ama, what on Dura Mater would be called a lazarette, mixing up the medicine to repair the damage to his hull.

Name:  Shawn in the lazarette.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  433.4 KB

Ooohh. Black carbon fiber. Where'd you get that?

"From Russell." Of course. No need to worry. The master is here, grasshopper.

Name:  Shawn and Russell 2.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  376.9 KB

And Nathalie has somehow jumped the line, moving from an interior spot to a place at the end of the dock, where Envolee won't be blocked in tomorrow morning. And while everyone else is starting to relax for the night, making dinner plans or just slowing down, here is Team Shut up and Drive bicycling around the harbor.

Name:  Nathalie practicing.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  269.5 KB

Just for fun? I think not. I think she is one crazy like a fox girl.

Default The Motto for R2AK 2019

Name:  coffee.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  225.2 KB

And what of the videos to come from Port Townsend and Victoria?

Yankee Peddlers, Pteradactyl, Pear Shaped Racing, Razzle Dazzle, SoggyKru, Trickster, Funky Dory and another one, a secret. Soon. Very soon. However, now is time for one of those lavendar gin drinks in the Q Bar downstairs off the veranda.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Say hey to Nat, for all of us couch potatoes and working stiffs.
    Nathalie says, "LOL!!!!! Hi back!"

Name:  Nat.png
Views: 663
Size:  291.7 KB

Here in Victoria the day dawns with a very small breeze and bits of light blue sky interspersed with layers of clouds. Randall would know what kind of clouds they are, but I don't. What I do see are darker ones in the distance. Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh my!

Name:  Morning of the race.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  274.8 KB

Nor do I know the forecast, but Skip will know. Gotta go now to wish everyone goodbye and good luck. See if Shawn's boat is watertight. It looks like it has been lowered to the water. The other day Yankee Peddlers' oatmeal packets were laying out to dry in the cockpit. I noticed that my red vines donation ("considered a rare delicacy among sailors I know") were not in evidence.

Gotta check out of this room with a view soon, and then down to the docks. I'll videotape the start and then get on the ferry back to Port Angeles, then back home to the Bay Area. This morning I am impressed again by Nathalie. Why? Because of this text exchange:

Me: "How did you manage to snag that primo spot at the dock? GOOD JOB!l"
    Nat: "Hehe - we have some pedal driven tours. Strategic ;-) All part of the plan"

She's a devious one. I'm so proud of her. I know you are, too.

You wouldn't see this in the 3BF: TEAM OARCLE, with Ian and Janis (Olympic rower) were bedeviled in the crossing from PT to Victoria. Having done all the previous R2AKs, wisdom prevailed and they pulled their double kayak in to camp on Dungeness Spit in the first afternoon's half gale.

Setting off the next morning, OARACLE again met trying conditions and made it to shore, but 3 miles short of the finish line. You can't stop this team. With less than an hour to go, and in the best kind of R2AK spirit, Team Oaracle fought to the end by exploiting the portage loophole. They threw their kayak on a dolly and ran with it for the few miles between where they landed and the finish line. Having mapped out the shortest route from A to B they pushed their double kayak across the greens of the city golf course, down crowded Victoria city streets, and arrived at the dockside finish line inside of the rules, but 15 minutes outside of the time limit. Since the real finish bell had already been removed, they rang an imaginary bell, and walked through the doors of the racer party to a rousing round of applause.

Name:  Team Oaracle.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  112.0 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.