Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preparations for the LongPac

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Preparations for the LongPac

Tom Boussie has loaned me his never used storm sail. It is so clean and crispy. Not easy to attach. Easy to raise because it's very tiny.

It got several comments on E Dock: "Love the color!", "What the hell?" and "Hardly seems worth the time, can't you just roll in your jib?"

I was careful not to step on it or drop it in the water, and I hope my crew doesn't have to go up there in a gale. hehehe.

Name:  storm sail.JPG
Views: 3926
Size:  457.5 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-13-2019 at 12:02 PM.

From Psychology Today:

"So what does the color mean?

Black: People who choose black as their favorite color are often artistic and sensitive. While these people aren't introverts, they are careful with the details of their lives and do not share easily with others.

White: People who like white are often organized and logical and don't have a great deal of clutter in their lives.

Red: Those who love red live life to the fullest and are tenacious and determined in their endeavors.

Blue: If blue is your favorite color you love harmony, are reliable, sensitive and always make an effort to think of others. You like to keep things clean and tidy and feel that stability is the most important aspect in life.

Green: Those who love the color green are often affectionate, loyal and frank. Green lovers are also aware of what others think of them and consider their reputation very important.

Yellow: You enjoy learning and sharing your knowledge with others. Finding happiness comes easy to you and others would compare you to sunshine.

Purple: You are artistic and unique. You have a great respect for people but at times can be arrogant."

Nothing about fluorescent orange...
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Nothing about fluorescent orange...
    Orange is *FAST*!

There's a reason all the Open 60's use orange paint on their keels and rudders and foils. Wouldn't want the storm jib to clash with the keel, eh?

- rob

Default Something borrowed, something new

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Orange is *FAST*! There's a reason all the Open 60's use orange paint on their keels and rudders and foils. Wouldn't want the storm jib to clash with the keel, eh? - rob
    Hi, Rob! So glad you could join us. Okay, I'll look around for orange paint. I don't know if you have watched the R2AK, but everyone on Shut up and Drive wore orange, and they had orange bicycle tape on their handlebars, too. Such things are de rigeuer on Envolee. Is this because the Skipper is conscious of the coolness factor? Not at all. She don't care about that stuff. The orange color is a nod to Pumpkin, her kitty waiting at home with Sergei. Maybe Nathalie will post a photo of the real kitties.

Name:  kitty hat.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  247.2 KB

Greg Ashby texted me out of the blue: Would I like to borrow an extra 50 watt solar panel?

Name:  solar panel.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  262.2 KB

Um. Dunno. Let me check with my tactician.
    Monsieur Jamotte's response? "It needs a controller, wiring to the battery, best with a large fuse, a place to put it, a way to solidly fix it there ..."

Um. Okay again.

After our last sail Monsieur sat me down in the cockpit and we "de-briefed". hahaha. Yeah, a de-briefing on DM.

Name:  Debrief 5.27.19.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  471.3 KB

He teaches sailing down in Redwood Shores so I guess they are very thorough down there. He also works down the peninsula, which explains some other things. The clothes, for sure, although no Patagonia vest.

Check, check, check. Called my offsite boat boy, Max Dickey, who ordered up a controller via his Amazon Prime. Should arrive tomorrow.

Greg and I crawled around in his boat and he showed me how the wires are led to the battery on the already inspected Nightmare. Then, just for good measure Chris Case invited me aboard FUGU and we crawled around inside her. Same wires, different controller.

So, what? Am I the only one preparing for this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    So, what? Am I the only one preparing for this thing?
    Got the InReach working and the Gale Sail rigged, fully cleaned and vacuumed the cabin, tested the big main reef. Ordering some 3.5 gal water jugs today (S! has 40 gallons but it's all in one tank). I count 13 items still on the list to do.

Name:  Gale Sail.JPG
Views: 2590
Size:  465.4 KBName:  IMG_1378.JPG
Views: 1268
Size:  645.7 KB

[QUOTE=Philpott;23439]Hi, Rob! So glad you could join us. Okay, I'll look around for orange paint. I don't know if you have watched the R2AK, but everyone on Shut up and Drive wore orange, and they had orange bicycle tape on their handlebars, too. Such things are de rigeuer on Envolee. Is this because the Skipper is conscious of the coolness factor? Not at all. She don't care about that stuff. The orange color is a nod to Pumpkin, her kitty waiting at home with Sergei. Maybe Nathalie will post a photo of the real kitties.

We also had orange water bottles...and orange fairing and a bunch more things orange.
    - well orange is the fastest color so that's definitely a big part of it...and and Go Giants. I think that about sums it up.
    The orange and black in the AstroCat logo is because of Pumpkin and Hershel - it is AstroCat because Envolée means taking flight so the kitty ends up in the stars. Really fast, so rocket ship style.

Kitties attached as requested

Name:  IMG-3127.JPG
Views: 1230
Size:  1.84 MB

Other than the obvious "HELP ME! HELP ME!" I am relieved not to be psychoanalyzed by forum readers. Remember, it does not belong to me, it belongs to Tom. And it had never been taken out of its bag. Hmmmm.

I think one reason to not use the roller furling sail during a a Gale is to avoid the case of the furling line coming undone.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I think one reason to not use the roller furling sail during a a Gale is to avoid the case of the furling line coming undone.
    But Monsieur, surely this will not happen? Again? :-)

Default about that bilge pump

Tom Patterson offered advice at a distance, he won't let me try that old trick again. Reminded me to follow the wires. What did they look like when I cut them? Maybe something was stuck inside which would cause the fuse to blow. So I did. Took it apart,

Name:  IMG-5743.JPG
Views: 573
Size:  350.3 KB

checked the little plastic impeller, cleaned it up and re-wired it. Blew another fuse.

Cooper, the whaler boss at RYC, bumped up against my stern in a RIB with a HUGE engine. He needs an adult along in order to take it out of the harbor. Did I want to come out for a ride? Hmmmm. Boat ride or bilge filth? Jumped on the boat, raced around Potrero Reach, over by KKMI, saw the Sugar Shack, went real fast, returned real fast.

Reconsidered the issues before me, drove to West Marine and bought a new automatic bilge pump for $85. I don't remember my previous bilge pump costing that much in .... let's see, 2013.

Brought it back to Dura Mater, wired it up and whoopeee!

Name:  IMG-5744.JPG
Views: 706
Size:  371.0 KB

Twas the fresh air and a ride with a fifteen year old that offered me the ability to think clearly.