Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Preparations for the LongPac

I had entered "racechair@sfbaysss.org" as my separate non-tracking messages address.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    On Windy.com there are three types of forecasting. It has been suggested that NAM, ECMWF and GFS are sometimes more accurate according to the area. Which of these three seems best for LongPac territory? Or is that oversimplification?
    Hi Jackie -

I find the US Navy COAMPS model to be very good for the bay area - if it is being run for the bay area. Check this with SailDocs.

Stan Honey recommended the HRRR model (also available via SailDocs) as being excellent; I have not used this model, but if Stan likes it then you should check it out. I'm going to explore how it does for condition forecasts on my trip down the coast Seattle -> San Francisco in July.

The GFS model does fine for synoptic winds, not so well for inshore stuff - e.g., GFS will show you where it thinks the synoptic offshore breeze will be but does not do a good job at guestimating what is happening inside the Farallone islands).

ECMWF isn't generally available, as obtaining the model output is rather expensive. I can't comment on it as I've not used it (though I believe that WINDY can display this model and the GFS model output).

For near-shore used my favorites remain WFax and the local NWS Monterey forecasts - all of which are available via SailDocs as email requests (and you can listen to Perfect Paul via VHF when close to shore).

And don't forget to look at your barometer/barograph and stick your head out the companion way once in a while - that's the real weather. And do calibrate your barometer/barograph. I have a barograph (Mintaka Duo) and it's much more useful (and accurate) than the Weems & Plath aneroid barometer I had for many years.

- rob
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 06-28-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: fix typo

Default More Prep for DM

062319 On Sunday, after failing my inspection by Tom Boussie (no hacksaw, knife, handheld compass, charts) DM and I sailed w Philippe out of RYC. After a gentle spinnaker run from Angel Island toward Red Rock, where we ran out of wind, we went through Raccoon Straits along with dozens of other sailboats. It was a gorgeous day. Sunshine. Gentle wind. Then, as we came out the gate side the wind slammed us.

According to Sailflow the wind was a steady 25 with gusts above that. Philippe suggested we practice gybing over and over. Huh? It was a steady 25. But he is the tactician, so we did. Since I was at the tiller and we weren’t reefed, there were a couple of roundups. Not the weed killing kind, the kind that reminded me that I had a spare tiller in the vberth. Once we got into the lee of Angel Island Philippe looked around for something else to do. His two scones were gone, the ham and swiss on a sweet roll eaten, and I had squished the third scone by falling on it. So there was nothing left to eat.

062719 There was a gap between the tiller head and its shaft, so I asked my hotshot racing friend if I could have a few more shims. He said, “Sure, the sooner the better.” He is preparing for the LongPac, too, so that was very generous of him to make time for me. More cookies, of course. So I made another trip up to the nosebleed neighborhood in the Montclair Hills. Once my ears adjusted I found him outside his workshop, guard cat at the ready. Katherine was there and so was a friend of Greg’s from middle school, another Jackie. We’re everywhere.

I helped make three new shims out of some high tech material; whiteboard and something else. In other words, Greg made ‘em and I swiped at the workbench with a hand brush, threw away trash, the low-skill stuff. Drove to DM, installed them and … Bob’s your uncle! Now my tiller doesn’t jiggle.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I had entered "racechair@sfbaysss.org" as my separate non-tracking messages address.
    Oops..thanks for getting me to doublecheck.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Do you believe Sail Flow (yuk!) or NWS and Passage Weather, which look better? What are you watching and what are you seeing?

Also, what does the assembled multitude recommend for AIS alarm settings? I can set min. CPA distance, CPA time and target's SOG.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-30-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Hey, Bob. How far out can you hear those vessel traffic 1/2 hour transmissions?

I look at it them all. Don't forget windy..... easy toggle between GFS and EC. Don't have any "paid" models going. The all don't look like fun for the Azzura, hope it settles down in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Hey, Bob. How far out can you hear those vessel traffic 1/2 hour transmissions?
    According to Tommy Chong, "far out man."

I don't remember. The offshore traffic area is a 38 nm radius out from Mt. Tam, so I'd guess they expect to talk to vessels on Ch. 12 about 50 miles out.

Name:  LongPac Weather Sun Nite.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  125.7 KB

I'm sitting this one out, but it does look messy. Jackie, the Coast Guard guarantees 21 nm out, but since the antenna's on Mt Tam Bob is probably right at between 40 - 50 nm. I routinely hear Monterey at the Farallones, but I don't know that they'd hear me. I hope everyone is prepared and will be safe. Pat B.

These are good shake down conditions for new boats/sailors shooting for SHTP! If you don't get all the way out to the U-turn at address 126-40, there is still valuable experience & information to be gained. GOOD LUCK, BE SAFE, reef early!!
    Last edited by Submarino; 07-01-2019 at 08:40 AM.