Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparations for the LongPac

Default Preparations for the LongPac

Tom Boussie has loaned me his never used storm sail. It is so clean and crispy. Not easy to attach. Easy to raise because it's very tiny.

It got several comments on E Dock: "Love the color!", "What the hell?" and "Hardly seems worth the time, can't you just roll in your jib?"

I was careful not to step on it or drop it in the water, and I hope my crew doesn't have to go up there in a gale. hehehe.

Name:  storm sail.JPG
Views: 3889
Size:  457.5 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-13-2019 at 12:02 PM.

From Psychology Today:

"So what does the color mean?

Black: People who choose black as their favorite color are often artistic and sensitive. While these people aren't introverts, they are careful with the details of their lives and do not share easily with others.

White: People who like white are often organized and logical and don't have a great deal of clutter in their lives.

Red: Those who love red live life to the fullest and are tenacious and determined in their endeavors.

Blue: If blue is your favorite color you love harmony, are reliable, sensitive and always make an effort to think of others. You like to keep things clean and tidy and feel that stability is the most important aspect in life.

Green: Those who love the color green are often affectionate, loyal and frank. Green lovers are also aware of what others think of them and consider their reputation very important.

Yellow: You enjoy learning and sharing your knowledge with others. Finding happiness comes easy to you and others would compare you to sunshine.

Purple: You are artistic and unique. You have a great respect for people but at times can be arrogant."

Nothing about fluorescent orange...
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Other than the obvious "HELP ME! HELP ME!" I am relieved not to be psychoanalyzed by forum readers. Remember, it does not belong to me, it belongs to Tom. And it had never been taken out of its bag. Hmmmm.

I think one reason to not use the roller furling sail during a a Gale is to avoid the case of the furling line coming undone.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    I think one reason to not use the roller furling sail during a a Gale is to avoid the case of the furling line coming undone.
    But Monsieur, surely this will not happen? Again? :-)

In preparation for the LongPac Dura Mater senses the stress of preparation. Unwittingly she has become the source of great trepidation. Why? Because of all these emails from the authorities. Such involved planning, such tech expertise is expected. Yikes. If Bob didn't know enough to take some device out of a box, how will I figure out how to program the InReach, the Epirb, etc. And the raft! I can barely lift the smallest raft. It's 80 lbs. for crying out loud. And then there's that little black dress for DM, Bob's old sail. That's heavy, too. Why, my head is just spinning. And then! Then I receive an email from my Tactician, asking how I intend to gather weather data offshore. I didn't know that I was supposed to do that! My cabin has been a refuge. But I sense a change in the metaphorical weather.

Name:  DM's cabin the calm before the storm.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  275.1 KB

Here is the calm before the storm.

We can do it Webb Chiles' style. I'll have my barometer watch and voilą, weather forecasting!

And here is what your boat will look like after the storm has passed...

Name:  20170709_092948.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  4.47 MB

You know I'm just (sorta) kidding, right? The best thing about the LongPac is that you will find where all the leaks are, except that means everything will have to get aired out when you get back. I just think it's great you're pushing your sailing adventures. I'm rooting for you and Pj to win the DH race!!

The dialog on E-dock today:
    "How are you?"
    "Frustrated."
    "You too? My reefing line is too short."
    "My batteries are flat."
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.