Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Preparations for the LongPac

thanks for this!

I've been happy with my jetboil.
    Used it to Kauai and back.
    Added the gimbal and the cup locks in place.
    The medium sized canister lasted the trip and then some.

Name:  IMG_2026.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  3.30 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The LongPac SER doesn't allow this but SSS/OYRA (NCORC) does: You can have a non-inflatable if it has 22# of buoyancy. I have a separate harness so I'm thinking about testing it with one of these:

https://www.coleman.com/deluxe-merch.../I600-IND.html

After SAS training and things I've read, I don't trust the inflatables to (1) always inflate or (2) enable me to maneuver in the water to reach my etriers and re-board. I also like having a bit of padding when it's rough. Maybe one of these with a light windbreaker wouldn't be too uncomfortable.
    Those are exactly the same two Type 1 life jackets I carry on Beetle, they are specifically for abandoning ship into the life raft; nothing to go wrong with them, nothing to inflate, you can puncture them and they still float. They are also good for going aloft offshore when you're slamming into the mast as the boat rolls - the padding around the chest is excellent. Not inexpensive and being bulky they are difficult to stow in a convenient-to-access place, but very good.

On my singlehanded stuff I don't wear a life jacket but always have my harness and tether and clip in to the jack lines. As Jim Kellam (Haulback) said, "The only reason to wear a life jacket is to have something to strap the pistol to."

- rob

Michael, if all you're eating is a boiled egg or oatmeal for breakfast and instant meals for dinner, Jetboil is the way to go. If you have an ice box and good friends, pre-made stews can be eaten cold anytime, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tell them, though, that fish stew will get tossed overboard pretty quickly.... especially after dealing with those rough first days

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Michael, if all you're eating is a boiled egg or oatmeal for breakfast and instant meals for dinner, Jetboil is the way to go. If you have an ice box and good friends, pre-made stews can be eaten cold anytime, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tell them, though, that fish stew will get tossed overboard pretty quickly.... especially after dealing with those rough first days
    Ah, Michael, the devil is in the details. Notice that Gamayun qualifies her advice with the caveat "... if you have an ice box and good friends..." One is able to purchase an ice box at the local chandlery. The good friends part is something much harder to gain. Over time I am confident that my fellow singlehanders may learn to accept others into their hearts, if not onto their boats. And now maybe even you.

Mountain House freeze-dried dinners. I live on 'em when Joan and I are backpacking and George has a backlog of 'em. He's got some sort of gimballed like a sea-swing. The bimballed JetBoil would be The Ticket for solo, though.

Though on the LongPac I'm more likely to eat-and-go than anything else. Thus...a couple of sandwiches in the cooler, some fruit and a handful of power bars or clones of power bars.

And coffee. MUST have coffee.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

On Windy.com there are three types of forecasting. It has been suggested that NAM, ECMWF and GFS are sometimes more accurate according to the area. Which of these three seems best for LongPac territory? Or is that oversimplification?

During the tracker session at the skippers meeting last night I realized I needed to make an adjustment to my "preset" messages.
    Namely add the tracking@sfbaysss.org address to my list of recipients.
    On the Garmin page under the "messages" tab there are three "preset messages"
    I use the edit button to change the text of the message and add email addresses.
    Click done.
    Sync the device to my computer to update the device.
    Now tracking should receive my SOL message.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    On Windy.com there are three types of forecasting. It has been suggested that NAM, ECMWF and GFS are sometimes more accurate according to the area. Which of these three seems best for LongPac territory? Or is that oversimplification?

I like simple.
    Master weather router I am not!
    When there are multiple sources I like to compare them and find the ones that agree.
    I interpret that as more stable/reliable.

Aaaand, after chatting with the SPOT people 3x, the tracker is finally working. I've successfully sent 4 check-in messages to myself and Joan. "tracking@sfbaysss.org" is now on the list, as is racecommittee@sfbay.org, for my "oh no!!!" messages.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"