Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparations for the LongPac

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    speaking of "how old is that?" ... i presume the (now) required crotch straps are attached but not pictured?DH
    Dave is a gentleman. He hesitated when I asked him to clip me in. Once the jacket inflates it is difficult to reach down there. It felt rude to ask him to adjust my crotch straps.

well there you are... its a very nice picture!

Indeed. I only smile like that when my crotch straps are too tight.

Jackie, Does your PFD have a hood? If you are in the water, you're pretty immobile. Not only are the front airbags tight and difficult to reach around, the wind and wave action will turn you so your face is into the wind and those waves. People drown because their face is toward the waves and they can't breath. A hood helps protect you from that. If you don't have a hood, you can buy one to hook on. If you have a PLB or handheld AIS radio attached to you or your vest, make sure the lanyards are long enough for you to use the device. If they are too short you'll have to risk cutting the lanyard and chance losing the PLB or radio. Anything in a foul weather jacket pocket under the vest is almost inaccessible.

While the vest is inflated jump in a swimming pool and discover just how helpless you are. I did it alongside the boat in the berth (with friends on the dock to help me ) and during my SOS training, both were sobering experiences. I was essentially helpless and the water was calm.

The LongPac SER doesn't allow this but SSS/OYRA (NCORC) does: You can have a non-inflatable if it has 22# of buoyancy. I have a separate harness so I'm thinking about testing it with one of these:

https://www.coleman.com/deluxe-merch.../I600-IND.html

After SAS training and things I've read, I don't trust the inflatables to (1) always inflate or (2) enable me to maneuver in the water to reach my etriers and re-board. I also like having a bit of padding when it's rough. Maybe one of these with a light windbreaker wouldn't be too uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post

After SAS training and things I've read, I don't trust the inflatables to (1) always inflate or (2) enable me to maneuver in the water to reach my etriers and re-board. I also like having a bit of padding when it's rough. Maybe one of these with a light windbreaker wouldn't be too uncomfortable.
    We have no inflatable life jackets aboard. I don't trust them either; just another thing to go wrong or expire. I can wear mine under or over foulies, hoodies, or over both.

What type of jackets do you where? What about tethers?

I'm looking at the Salus Coastal PFD with built in harness.
    http://www.salusmarine.com/?products=coastal
    It's rated at 69 newtons which is too low for the NCORC limit of 100 newtons for a foam PFD.
    I'll order one soon but need to find out if they will ship to the USA. They only have Canadian dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    The LongPac SER doesn't allow this but SSS/OYRA (NCORC) does: You can have a non-inflatable if it has 22# of buoyancy. I have a separate harness so I'm thinking about testing it with one of these:

Steve Katzman has one of those. It’s faded and ripped and twenty years old but he defends it fiercely. It also has lots of pockets for snacks and radio etc

Quote Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
    Just a note to AlanH: my Spot Gen 2 has made it twice on round trips to Hawaii with uninterrupted service. Good luck with yours.
    Really? No kiddin'? This is good to know!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"