Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Singlehanded Racing -

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    yes, there is! - you should check out PSSA aka the Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association.
    I raced several PSSA events as crew for my Dad on his boats. The rabbit starts are a lot of fun, particularly when you are the rabbit; having the entire fleet out in front of you then gives you something to aim for. A good group, we did the Dan Byrne series (Dan was a founding member of the PSSA, did the 1980 Singlehanded TransPac, and the 1982 BOC race). Count on the wind to die at night...

I'd recommend the PSSA if racing out of Santa Monica Bay works for you.

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    The rabbit starts are a lot of fun, particularly when you are the rabbit; having the entire fleet out in front of you then gives you something to aim for. - rob
    A "rabbit start" is a fun alternative way to start a race, used exclusively here for Santa Cruz Wed, night races with a fleet of diverse size and speed. No RC necessary

A boat volunteers ahead of time to be the Rabbit, usually one of mid-fleet speed, not too fast or slow. Flying a distinguishing flag from the backstay is a good designation for the Rabbit.

A warning horn is sounded by the Rabbit 5, or 3 minutes, before the Rabbit starts its run. Another horn is sounded at the start when the Rabbit starts its "run," close-hauled, on port tack. You then have 5, or 3 minutes to start by crossing behind the Rabbit on starboard tack. In effect, this is a moving gate. When all have started, the Rabbit is "released", tacks to starboard, and the race is underway to the first (windward) mark.

The 505 Class uses the Rabbit start for all their races, even in the big fleets of their Worlds Championship.

One local variation is for the Rabbit to tow a rubber duckie 1-2 lengths astern. This helps prevent close encounters between any anxious starters and the vulnerable Rabbit. Another variation is for the Rabbit to start its run on starboard tack, and the starters cross astern on port tack.

Recommend giving it a try. Works even when 2 boats are "playing" together. Wouldn't work if starting classes at different times is desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7_MrijLSuE
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-19-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    A "rabbit start" is a fun alternative way to start a race, used exclusively here for Santa Cruz Wed, night races with a fleet of diverse size and speed. No RC necessary

A boat volunteers ahead of time to be the Rabbit, usually one of mid-fleet speed, not too fast or slow. Flying a distinguishing flag from the backstay is a good designation for the Rabbit.

A warning horn is sounded by the Rabbit 5, or 3 minutes, before the Rabbit starts its run. Another horn is sounded at the start when the Rabbit starts its "run," close-hauled, on port tack. You then have 5, or 3 minutes to start by crossing behind the Rabbit on starboard tack. In effect, this is a moving gate. When all have started, the Rabbit is "released", tacks to starboard, and the race is underway to the first (windward) mark.

The 505 Class uses the Rabbit start for all their races, even in the big fleets of their Worlds Championship.

One local variation is for the Rabbit to tow a rubber duckie 1-2 lengths astern. This helps prevent close encounters between any anxious starters and the vulnerable Rabbit. Another variation is for the Rabbit to start its run on starboard tack, and the starters cross astern on port tack.

Recommend giving it a try. Works even when 2 boats are "playing" together. Wouldn't work if starting classes at different times is desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7_MrijLSuE
    Is there any disadvantage for Rabbit start? I wonder why this start is not more popular? More conflict between boats?

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    Is there any disadvantage for Rabbit start? I wonder why this start is not more popular? More conflict between boats?

Todd
    There is a limitation to the rabbit start - it works when there is one and only one start for the fleet - e.g., all boats start astern of the rabbit and everyone is out onto the race course. If your fleet has two starts (or more) then the rabbit won't work.

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by DLC99 View Post
    On Saturday, August 3, there is a singlehanded/doublehanded pursuit race in San Diego.
    Iniscaw is Inisconced at SWYC, ready to go tomorrow. Only 3 singlehanders entered, unfortunately.
    Name:  20190802_182511.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  3.03 MB
    See you out there, David!
    Max

I hope it was a good one for you Max. Let us now. Pat Broderick

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    I hope it was a good one for you Max. Let us now. Pat Broderick
    Thanks Pat. It was a 14+ mile pursuit race with 8-10 knots at the start. David on Passages lost his crew, so there were four of us singlehanders. At PHRF 129 I was the first SH starter, but the Alerion Express 38 was absolutely flying and soon got past me. David and I had a good dice on the long close reach to the finish as the wind dropped, and I edged him out for 3rd. It was good to shake out the singlehanding cobwebs!

Max, Tell me about Alerion 38s and their rating! But it is good to shake out the cobwebs even as you watch the boat and its rating flash by. At the moment I'm grounded with a month-old retina surgery (detached/hole in retina due to old age, blah, blah) and won't be sailing for another month or so, depending on how quickly the gas bubble in my eye that's holding the retina together while it heals dissipates. I am able to get some work done on the boat as long as I don't crawl around under things on my back, so "NANCY" is sitting with plywood patches on the open window openings while TapPlastic fabricates the new ones (I expect to hear from the marina management). Next is some rewiring. I forget it's 25-years old. How many human years is that? Sailing is more fun! Keep us up on your sailing activities; those of us who miss you like to know what you're dong. -- Pat

That Alerion 38-2 is the newer design, like Cinde Lou's Another Girl, so 107 sounds about right for a So-Cal rating. Did it have a spinnaker?

Max, at least you weren't racing against a WylieCat 30. Singlehanded, those are unbeatable on rating.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Max, at least you weren't racing against a WylieCat 30. Singlehanded, those are unbeatable on rating.
    Tell me now ;(

Hey Max!! We miss ya!