Thread: LongPac Updates

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Regardless of whether the boat is vying for overall or just finishing the race, the decision is Bob's to make, and he is a Corinthian sailor. But here's a nice bit: When the call went out from the LongPac Race Chair (Tom Boussie), the RC B Team responded by googling B&G 5000 and Robertson 2000. Huh? The B Team doesn't know what those items are, but supposes that Google will connect the dots, as indeed Google does.

According to Google, Reliable Marine in Alameda is a certified dealer of something called a B&G 5000. I call their number and Roger answers.

"Hi, Roger, this is Jackie Philpott."

"Hi, Jackie."

"I'm calling about a singlehanded friend offshore doing the Longpac. He's having difficulty with his B&G autopilot. Could you walk him through a fix?"

"Well, sure, except that I'm in the engine room of a boat right now. The person you want to contact is Eric Steinberg over at Farallon Electronics."

"Great. Do you have his number?"

"No, but he's in Sausalito. I'd help but, like I said, I'm in the engine room of a boat just now."

"Okay, thanks, Roger!"

So then the RC B team googled Farallon Electronics and called the phone number listed.

Eric answered. On the day after Fourth of July. These boat people. They're nuts.

"Hi, this is Jackie Philpott."

Pause. Very politely: "Hi, Jackie."

At this point I need to point out that neither of these very civil men has any idea who I am, nor do I own stock in their companies.

"I'm calling about a singlehanded friend offshore doing the Longpac. He's having difficulty with his B&G autopilot. Could you walk him through a fix?"

Eric is interested now.

"Oh yeah? The Longpac, huh?"

J: Is there any way that you could advise him about a fix for his B&G autopilot by way of Satphone?"

E: What's the skipper's name?

J: Bob Johnston with a T.

E: Oh, yeah. That unit was in the boat when he bought it. He and I talked about it recently. Sure. Give him my personal cell phone."

I thanked him and passed the information on to the RC A Team. So whether Bob calls Eric or not, or whether he decides to hand steer Surprise! the last 140 nm or not, it is his decision. My work here is done. But remember these two men when you need to buy electronics for your boat, because you can count on them.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-05-2019 at 03:35 PM.