Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LongPac Updates

Default LongPac Updates

Latest update as of 0830 7/4:

Dura Mater - retired, confirmed back in berth
    Daisen’s Den - retired, visually sighted back in the Bay headed to Alameda
    Mulan - retired, confirmed back in berth (charging issues)
    X-1 - retired, confirmed back in berth (sea sickness, extremely rough seas)

Sunquest - turned around, approaching GG Bridge (reports taking on water, but safe)

Rainbow - turned around and then turned back racing (no report)

10 boats still racing in what looks to be wind dropping into the high teens. Surprise due west, remainder of fleet south as far as Monterrey Bay.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Messages from Will on S/V SEA WISDOM (Hinckley 42) at 1100 this morning:

I'm doing well. Conditions NW 20-30 kts, seas 7-10 ft. Last night was rather rough, NW 30-40 kts.

I am 100 nm from 126.40. I should make turnaround point around 2-3 AM tonight.

It is rough. I am lucky to have a bigger and more well protected boat. I don't know how those smaller boats could deal with these kinds of conditions.

Default Mulan Update

Got following text messages from Michael on Mulan:

9:13 PM (near the Farallones): Heading back - battery not charging!

12:45 AM: Just docked, whew... Plus I fell and I think I broke a rib or two [RC note, he is a physician]. Oh well, hope the other boats are through the worst part. Really gnarly!!!

LP RC

All of the boats still racing successfully sent manual "life aboard" messages to the RC today, as did SKYE who are bearing off for Moss Landing.

Their comments:

LIBRA - I'm still alive!
    SURPRISE! - Rough race but easing a bit. ETA at turnaround is currently midnight. All is well.
    RIFF RIDER - I'm okay.
    TORTUGA - All is well on Tortuga. Big sea making it giddy up!
    GALAXSEA - All is okay.
    RAINBOW - Rainbow is sailing and all is well.
    SEA WISDOM - (see previous post)
    SHARK ON BLUEGRASS - All well on Shark. Wind 12-15, bumpy ride.
    NIGHTMARE - Checking in, everything is ok.

Latest update 1030 7/5

SKYE has made it back safely to her home port in Moss Landing.

All other boats except RAINBOW have touched and turned for SF. Can expect RAINBOW to do so later today.

NIGHTMARE appears to have turned back before the 126'40" mark.

SURPRISE! reports autopilot issues and is hand steering while attempting repairs. The RC is in communication with Bob and will update this forum on his status.

Bob would be the first person* to analyze this:

Rule 41 Outside Help
    A boat shall not receive help from any outside source, except

(a) help for a crewmember who is ill, injured or in danger;
    (b) after a collision, help from the crew of the other vessel to get clear;
    (c) help in the form of *information freely available to all boats;
    (d) unsolicited information from a disinterested source, which may be another boat in the same race.
    However, a boat that gains a significant advantage in the race from help received under rule 41(a) may be protested and penalized; any penalty may be less than disqualification.

* well, once he has rested up
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Default Outside Assistance

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Bob would be the first person to analyze this:

Rule 41 Outside Help
    A boat shall not receive help from any outside source, except

(a) help for a crewmember who is ill, injured or in danger;
    (b) after a collision, help from the crew of the other vessel to get clear;
    (c) help in the form of *information freely available to all boats;
    (d) unsolicited information from a disinterested source, which may be another boat in the same race.
    However, a boat that gains a significant advantage in the race from help received under rule 41(a) may be protested and penalized; any penalty may be less than disqualification.
    I believe Bob is aware of the outside help rule. The nature of his message suggested that he was soliciting advice and that remaining in the race was secondary. I will confirm with him before communicating anything that would constitute outside assistance.

Tom

All boats still on the course successfully sent in manual "life aboard" messages today.

Their comments:

LIBRA - S/V Libra, daily checkin. 1st night was rough with a sporty head sail change with winds above 30 knots. Solent up and genoa is fasten on deck since then […]
    [...] Yesterday conditions have been better. Wind 20 to 28kn. Last night was quiet. Turned around at W126'40" at 6:15am today. Now heading back home! […]
    [...] Btw, the 1st night, despite the rough sea and weather, was an absolutely beautiful sky, to be remembered, with gorgeous views of the Milky Way. S/V Libra
    SURPRISE! - Surprise! is having difficulties but okay for now.
    RIFF RIDER - Im nk
    TORTUGA - All ok on tortuga!. . C265 S5.5. . . 36. 00. 49. . . 126. 27. 10. Almost to turn around.
    GALAXSEA - All is ok.
    RAINBOW - Rainbow is sailing and all is well.
    SEA WISDOM - So happy to be on a beam reach finally!
    SHARK ON BLUEGRASS - All well on the shark, on my way home, light wind but bumpy ...
    NIGHTMARE - Checking in, everything is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    I believe Bob is aware of the outside help rule. The nature of his message suggested that he was soliciting advice and that remaining in the race was secondary. I will confirm with him before communicating anything that would constitute outside assistance.

Tom
    My understanding of "outside help" is that it doesn't extend to help on fixing equipment that is integral to the safety of the skipper and vessel. The same thing happened to Mike on Jacqueline in the 2016 SHTP and many other times that I've been told about.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    My understanding of "outside help" is that it doesn't extend to help on fixing equipment that is integral to the safety of the skipper and vessel. The same thing happened to Mike on Jacqueline in the 2016 SHTP and many other times that I've been told about.
    Does it make a difference if the boat is vying for the overall.....? This gets interesting if "being in danger" is because you lost your autopilot.
    Last edited by WBChristie; 07-05-2019 at 03:04 PM.