Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: LongPac Updates

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I may bring a bottle of the elixir that enabled me to finish the race without dozing off at the helm. It can be a door prize for aspiring SHTP'ers with questionable autopilots.
    On a warm, sleepy afternoon, one of my housemates drank the elixir intended for long periods of hand-steering. I won't be able to bring it to the meeting since I'm too cheap to buy another bottle:

Name:  Jittery John's.JPG
Views: 13906
Size:  588.2 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-19-2019 at 04:34 AM.

Oh Lord...I bought a bottle of that not knowing it was concentrate. I was drinking it on the way down the Bay on a hot afternoon and thought..."Damn this stuff is nasty". THEN I looked at the label.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    On a warm, sleepy afternoon, one of my housemates drank the elixir intended for long periods of hand-steering. I won't be able to bring it to the meeting since I'm too cheap to buy another bottle:

Name:  Jittery John's.JPG
Views: 13906
Size:  588.2 KB
    Those with failed autopilot s in the SHTP have always related stories of elixir's that require a match to embib.

Is the awards meeting at Encinal?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

We will be meeting on Wednesday, July 24 at Encinal Yacht Club at 7:30, but try to arrive earlier than that for socializing and enjoying the BBQ of the junior sailing program.

Default Verbiage Trailer for the Debrief Video

Can't wait for the video? Don’t have time to watch the video? Read this and you can stand around with a beer in your hand sounding knowledgeable anyway.

“We have Falk [Meissner] on the line [conference call] and we want to acknowledge his clean sweep of the race. A fantastic job, amazing. First overall, by twelve seconds overall … first in his class and this is the second smallest boat…. and his first serious singlehanded ocean race.” Tom Boussie 2019 LongPac Race Chair

“We have a pretty twisted sense of fun around here.” Greg Ashby s/v Nightmare

“When I got just south of the Farallones it really ramped up. Both the amount of the wind and the sea state… It got real out there.”
    Bob Johnston s/v Surprise!

“It wasn’t fun. That was the biggest problem.” George McKay s/v Skye

“It was probably some of the roughest conditions I’ve seen out there. This race is done so that everybody gets used to Gale Alley. This is a Gale Alley race that everybody goes through. So if you made it through it, then the Transpac is in your future. If you want it, you’re there. You’re capable. But this is what you’ve gotta go through to get back. Or to get out. It’s a grueling experience.” Dan Willey s/v Galaxsea

“This is my fifth LongPac. I definitely have sailing amnesia.” Randy Leisure s/v Tortuga

“Part of my [winning] strategy is to be the only multihull.” Cliff Shaw s/v Rainbow

“I think more people finished the Transpac than finished the LongPac. More people finish the Transpac because they have to. You’re half way … can’t bail. If I could’ve turned around [in the Transpac] I would’ve but I was 1000 miles out.” David Nabors s/v Temerity winner 2015 LongPac

Great quotes

Default 2019 LongPac Debrief video

Someone once told me that my videos are too long, that people don't want to spend the time. It has also been suggested that attention spans have decreased due to too much video watching.

I have a hard time editing videos. It is too much responsibility to leave things out. Who am I to decide what might be important, what detail someone might find useful? So I just cut out the most egregious mumblings and leave the rest of the mumblings. They might be important.

https://vimeo.com/350520523