Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: LongPac Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    T I don't have a racer's mentality because if I were faced with hand steering for 18 hours heading toward the gate and those shipping lanes, I'd accept the outside support and just call it.
    No Racer here, but I couldn't round Pt.Sur once on my way North, and had to turn tail back to Morro; it took all night.
    I haven't drank any soda in about 17 years, but I keep a few onboard, along with some Trader Joe's dark chocolate covered espresso beans for those times when I could get caught out.

Right
    Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Why is there confusion here? The above clearly states that it is ok to get verbal assistance to repair stuff. This is standard across all offshore effects that I know of.

Text message to RC from Bob on SURPRISE! indicating that he is in good shape for the last leg home:

Surprise! is hove to for dinner and rest. Talked on radio with Sea Wisdom after sighting him here 60 nm WSW of SE Farallon. All is well.

LP RC

LongPac Update 0730 7/6/19

At 0330 this morning SEA WISDOM contacted RC to let them know that they had lost their rudder about 5 nm SW of the Farallones and that they were steering with their hydrovane. William expressed concern as the rudder post was slamming against the hull and he feared it would breach the hull over time. He was in contact with the CG who were monitoring the situation. At 0530 SEA WISDOM contacted the CG to let them know that he had lost all steerage and to request assistance. They have dispatched a vessel to provide a tow. SEA WISDOM is currently SE of the Farallones, ~20 nm from the Gate.

SURPRISE! has apparently hove to twice overnight and is currently ~60 nm from the Gate. Last communication indicated that Bob is okay and the boat is sound.

RIFF RIDER now expected to be first boat to finish, likely in the early afternoon. We expect 7 of 8 boats to make it back to SF some time today. TORTUGA is ~100 nm from the Gate and will likely finish early tomorrow morning. Randy texted at 0800 this morning: "Rough night but all ok on tortuga. . C55. S5.8. . 36. 52.95. . 124.12.39. hoping the winds calm down".

LP RC

Seasickness took it's toll aboard Skye. Even with a Scopolamine patch, George got hit with it starting before we crossed the Potato Patch. It was a tough afternoon, with him functional but dry heaving and unable to keep down even water. AFter nightfall, he started shivering, which was not good. Wednesday night was one of the 2-3 most unpleasant nights I've spent at sea. Winds were 27-35, but it was the completely random washing machine of the sea state that was so tough. Skye held up fine, we had some minor gear failure but nothing big. I was glad I'd finished a really substantial emergency rudder earlier, but really did not want to have to deploy it. Thursday morning, George reported that for all that work we'd made 78 miles. If we turn around for Moss Landing we'd cover the 150 miles on the boat that I needed to qualify for Pac Cup, and he still had not eaten or drunk anything. Qualifying for Pac Cup was the main reason for doing the race, and neither of us could see putting George through another two days of that sort of misery, so around we went. Of course as soon as the motion changed George improved, so we actually had a nice sail back into Moss Landing. The first 4-5 hours though....still a washing machine with no discernable wave pattern out there.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

####
    Last edited by brianb; 07-06-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: repeat

Wonderful effort from SEA WISDOM, well done

Update on SHARK ON BLUEGRASS from RC

SOB's tracker shows him headed due West, obviously of concern. We asked the CG to contact him by VHF - happily he is in fact 15 miles from the Gate headed home. Must be a tracker malfunction.

I asked a friend who has a similar AP. He got back to me today. If someone want's to forward this to Bob, do so. Pat

Pat,

Just saw this. I’m probably not much help but here’s what I know.

We have a very similar or identical unit on Escapade. The clutch is a valve in the hydraulic circuit and is normally open (fluid just circulates) or closed when autopilot is engaged. The valve is controlled by a solenoid which in turn driven by electrical signal from AP Junction Box.

It sounds like the AP won’t engage, which would mean

1. Electrical connection issue from AP Junction Box to HLD2000, specifically AP Clutch signal or ground
    2. If not 1 then clutch solenoid has failed.
    3. If not 1 or 2, then the system might be low in fluid (pump is pumping, clutch valve is closed)

As to at-sea fixes:

1. Check electrical connection (voltmeter) – preferably at the HLD2000 end, both for the clutch and the pump motor drive.
    2. If the solenoid itself has failed (won’t close) I doubt there’s much that could be done.

Where would he be at this point?

Is anyone planning to meet the boats on their boat? I'd like to tag along if I can (415.484.6985)