Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: LongPac Updates

2019 LongPac Update - 1430 7/6//19

SEA WISDOM was safely towed in by the CG. I spoke with Will and he is understandably disappointed to get within 20 nm of the finish as the runaway winner only to have his rudder break. He does not think he hit anything. The rudder apparently slipped down several inches and was banging back in forth in the lower bearing. He is getting it towed to KKMI for haul out and repairs.

The first four boats have finished! After 3 days and >400 nm, SHARK ON BLUEGRASS and LIBRA finished within 12 seconds of each other, followed 3.5 minutes later by GALAXSEA. RIFF RIDER followed 18 minutes thereafter.

Finish times:
    SOB 1:42:18
    LIBRA 1:42:30
    GALAXSEA 1:46:00
    RIFF RIDER 2:08:37

We are expecting NIGHTMARE in the next couple of hours, SURPRISE! later this evening, and TORTUGA some time in the early AM tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Is anyone planning to meet the boats on their boat? I'd like to tag along if I can (415.484.6985)
    I’m at GGYC, Carliane w DM. C’ mon over. Anyone else?

Cliff is flying into the finish @ 17 knots!

LongPac Update

SURPRISE! crossed the line at 19:44:17 and headed to Richmond (and presumably to bed).

Expecting the last boat TORTUGA before 0200 tomorrow.

RC

TORTUGA crossed the finish line at 01:19:30 this morning to close out the 2019 LongPac. Final scoring will be posted contingent on racers providing proof of crossing the 126 degrees 40 minutes line of longitude.

I am sure there will be many exciting (and perhaps informative) stories at the awards ceremony on July 24, 2019 @1930 (location tbd). See you there.

RC

Quote Originally Posted by tboussie View Post
    TORTUGA crossed the finish line at 01:19:30 this morning to close out the 2019 LongPac. Final scoring will be posted contingent on racers providing proof of crossing the 126 degrees 40 minutes line of longitude.
    I am sure there will be many exciting (and perhaps informative) stories at the awards ceremony on July 24, 2019 @1930 (location tbd). See you there. RC
    Big thanks and congrats Tom, for the many hours, days, weeks of challenging logistics and cat herding in the SSS efforts of getting the LongPac contingent out and back safely. This race would not have happened without your dedicated efforts.

A question for any who want to respond. What is a good online location for those out of the area and unable to speak with this year's LongPackers, whether finishers or not. I for one will not be able to attend the trophy presentation, yet would love to hear as many "debriefs" as possible. Maybe right here on this thread? Or someplace else?

There is a much experience to be shared, almost all valuable to SSS'ers and friends. Prep, safety, navigation, sail handling, breakage. Basically, what was done that worked, and what didn't.

As the fleet and RC decompresses, a couple of subjects where currently there are more questions than answers:

~ Did any skippers and/or crew take seasickness meds before or during the Race?
    ~ What was the proximate cause of SEA WISDOM's rudder loss? Did the rudder drop down, or disappear completely? What was the towline secured to?
    ~ What was the cause of SURPRISE's AP failure, and what could be done differently?
    ~ What was the best sail combo for what boats in 20-35 knots. Roller jib reefing, hanks, mains'l slab reefing or other.
    ~ What was the cause of possible broken ribs? Above or below decks?
    ~ Can the trackers be more synched in the fleet so boats are not pinging at different times and intervals?
    ~ What was the cause of tracker malfunction that caused a Health and Welfare call to the CG by the RC?

Thanks to AlanH for already having shared his and George's sobering but ultimately successful experience aboard SKYE.

Thank you race committee!!
    I think this was a pretty busy race to monitor!

I felt Nightmare was well prepared and looked foreword to the race.
    We had a decent start, footing off a bit for speed.

I am susceptible to seasickness and use scopolamine the effectively.
    The washing machine however was no joke! I got hit anyway.
    The first night being the worst, and next day only a little better.

Sail plan was a main with three reefs and a #3. Storm jib ready.
    Working with the 1& 2 reefs kept us going.
    The first a/p drive gave up early the second evening, and swapped in a backup.

Nearing the turn around point, the last degree seemed to take forever!
    In my seasick addled brain I thought 126-20 to be the mark.
    100 miles later the thought crept in, was I wrong?
    Dug out the SI, sure enough, I messed up. Were we 25 or even 50 miles away I might have gone back, but at 100, nope.

As the point of sail turned more reachy, I began to eat and drink more and feel a bit better.
    During the third night, the second a/p drive dis-assembled itself and as I came on deck a gully washer swept half its guts overboard. The little st 2000 backup just doesn't have te power or speed for these conditions but can give me a break for a nap.
    Hand steering that last night was pretty surreal. Following the stars and going by feel.
    Ultimately coming back too far north again I crossed into the Gulf of the Farallones at Noonday Rock.

I could hear the CG end of the Sea Wisdom conversation but too far away to get there before the CG.

The wind died out at Duxbury Reef and since I was already disqualified from the race, had no problem starting the engine to get us to Point Bonita.
    I called in to the R/C announcing my approach to the finish and retirement from the race.

Nightmare fared well, skipper fairly well. A few more a/p spares and we'll be ready to go!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 07-07-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Default Rainbow Finishes

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Big thanks and congrats Tom, for the many hours, days, weeks of challenging logistics and cat herding in the SSS efforts of getting the LongPac contingent out and back safely. This race would not have happened without your dedicated efforts.

A question for any who want to respond. What is a good online location for those out of the area and unable to speak with this year's LongPackers, whether finishers or not. I for one will not be able to attend the trophy presentation, yet would love to hear as many "debriefs" as possible. Maybe right here on this thread? Or someplace else?

There is a much experience to be shared, almost all valuable to SSS'ers and friends. Prep, safety, navigation, sail handling, breakage. Basically, what was done that worked, and what didn't.

As the fleet and RC decompresses, a couple of subjects where currently there are more questions than answers:

~ Did any skippers and/or crew take seasickness meds before or during the Race?
    ~ What was the proximate cause of SEA WISDOM's rudder loss? Did the rudder drop down, or disappear completely? What was the towline secured to?
    ~ What was the cause of SURPRISE's AP failure, and what could be done differently?
    ~ What was the best sail combo for what boats in 20-35 knots. Roller jib reefing, hanks, mains'l slab reefing or other.
    ~ What was the cause of possible broken ribs? Above or below decks?
    ~ Can the trackers be more synched in the fleet so boats are not pinging at different times and intervals?
    ~ What was the cause of tracker malfunction that caused a Health and Welfare call to the CG by the RC?

Thanks to AlanH for already having shared his and George's sobering but ultimately successful experience aboard SKYE.
    Regarding seasickness medications: I took the CVS generic meclizine, 25 mg tablets. The first one was about an hour before the start, the second one about 20 hours later. I had no issues. George had the scopolamine patch and he got hammered immediately.

Sails...Dacron, full batten main with two reefs. I've not sailed with full battens before and I'm sold for keeping the sail from flogging itself to shreds when the main is eased in heavy winds.

We had an 80% high-clew headsail up the whole time, but actually rolled it up to about 60% for most of Wednesday night.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Adding to Sled’s list of “more questions than answers...”
    We hope to hear some debrief about energy management, especially with so many boats using electronics and electric autopilots. This is an obvious issue for anyone contemplating the SHTP. How was it? What were the charging issues on MULAN?
    Tom P.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 07-07-2019 at 09:43 PM.