I'm still flabbergasted!

Attachment 4513
    Ouch.

That sucks. REALLY sucks.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Big thanks to Tom as RC and keeping the cats all herding nicely together. Skip, if we think about it ahead of time, we should be able to set up a steaming video or at least a Skype connection for those who'd like to listen in. I'll see what I can do to facilitate this.
    Hi Carliane, A note on streaming video or audio from past experience at SSS meetings, and a lot of biz meetings:
    We will need a microphone or two that are fed into the streaming system.
    More importantly a discipline will have to be established that all questions are taken via a mic., and failing that the question should be repeated by the host, into the mic.
    All responses must follow the same protocol.
    Side conversations, if near the mic. need to be inhibited.

If this equipment isn't available and the protocol can't be established then the streaming audience won't be able to tell what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I got cold at one point, not quite shivering but needing more layers. Everything was out of reach in the cabin and I didn't want to heave-to again. What could I do? The telescoping boat hook was within reach in the cockpit locker so I extended it and poked around in the pile of clothes below and speared another mid-layer. .
    Hi BobJ

Congrats getting SURPRISE! home safe and sound! Several of us here at CBC watched your NWerly outbound route with interest, and tried to imagine conditions nearly closehauled. Your telescoping boathook clothing
    retrieval method is giving all a good chuckle.

A couple of questions when you have time.

1. With new rigging, was the apparent cause of the slack lower rigging stretch? Starboard side only, or both sides?
    2. What was your method of heaving to for rest? It appeared from the tracker SURPRISE! would drift downwind at 2-4 knots.
    3. DAZZLER and I wonder if the AP issue could have been due to lowered voltage to AP.
    4. Several Cal-40's with the newer rudders have "spin out" issues when the tiller is released. It is because the rudder design is overbalanced. A fine line between 2 finger control and having to concentrate on steering every moment..Do you think the short-chord keel was a proximate cause of not being able to let go of the tiller when hand steering. Or could rudder balance also have played a part?

Best from Capitola!

-sleddog

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hi Carliane, A note on streaming video or audio from past experience at SSS meetings, and a lot of biz meetings:
    We will need a microphone or two that are fed into the streaming system.
    More importantly a discipline will have to be established that all questions are taken via a mic., and failing that the question should be repeated by the host, into the mic.
    All responses must follow the same protocol.
    Side conversations, if near the mic. need to be inhibited.

If this equipment isn't available and the protocol can't be established then the streaming audience won't be able to tell what is going on.
    Hahaha! Inhibit singlehanders? I’ll bring my little Lumix videocam on its tripod and my iphone. Just ordered new micro discs. No wifi needed. And might Mr Hedgehog still have access to that fancy hi tech equipment? We’ll have sense surround!
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-10-2019 at 08:09 AM.

1. With new rigging, was the apparent cause of the slack lower rigging stretch? Starboard side only, or both sides?

Scott is on his way to race Pyewacket in the TP so I'm awaiting a reply. The lowers are relatively short so the amount of stretch is surprising - it appears to be about an inch on the port side and just a bit less on starboard. Do swages ever slip? Needless to say, I'm not going to merely tighten them and keep sailing, and will probably replace them (and maybe the mids) with rod, like the uppers.

2. What was your method of heaving to for rest? It appeared from the tracker SURPRISE! would drift downwind at 2-4 knots.

Heaving-to is a lifesaver. The boat calms down dramatically and other than the luffing main, becomes quiet and stable. Yes, you are drifting downwind at a rapid rate in that much wind (25-30k).

I come up to close-hauled and ease the main to start slowing down, then grind in the jib as flat as possible. While there's still enough way-on to tack, I tack over, ease the main more and when nearly stopped, lash the tiller fully to leeward. Getting the jib flat reduces the oscillation as the boat balances between the backed jib and the slight forward push from the back of the main. There's little wear-and-tear on the jib because it's not luffing, but it did cause the furling line to chafe on the bow pulpit - that's getting fixed. It's hard on the main in that much wind though. I'll take it over to North for inspection and repair.

3. DAZZLER and I wonder if the AP issue could have been due to lowered voltage to AP.

No. I replaced the house bank just before the race (it was 12 years old and wouldn't fully recharge). I monitored the voltage and SOC constantly and ran the engine as needed.

4. Several Cal-40's with the newer rudders have "spin out" issues when the tiller is released. It is because the rudder design is overbalanced. A fine line between 2 finger control and having to concentrate on steering every moment..Do you think the short-chord keel was a proximate cause of not being able to let go of the tiller when hand steering. Or could rudder balance also have played a part?

It probably played a part. It's funny because I already have the famous Schumacher rudder upgrade - it came with the boat!

5. Best from Capitola!

Best to you as well. I'm almost ready for you to come and sail the new-and-improved Surprise!

Hey Bob,

I would love to look at the hydraulics on your boat and see what might be wrong. The Robertson setup is pretty bullet proof but anything will wear out. Keep us posted. BTW, before installing the Pelagic, if you are going to drive the below deck hydro, call me. That is a different setup than the above deck tiller drive.

Brian

Yes, please! I talked to a reputable shop yesterday and they're booked until November! I have a call into another one - skilled labor is hard to find these days.

For a 38'er the boat is fairly light (12,000#) and easy to balance, so I planned to mount the Pelagic in the normal way and drive the tiller. Except for one drive, my Pelagic is an early version. Should I buy a new one first?

Thiings are becoming slightly clearer on the waterfront. Good news from observers at KKMI: SEA WISDOM's rudder is intact and more or less in place having dropped downward approx. 4" There are going to be repairs to the upper bearing mount needed, which is where the steering failure began, possibly from whale strike. Also repairs to the lower bearing area and top of the skeg. Basically, the under deck, upper bearing support broke off and the rudder was held in place almost solely by the rudder tube and dislodged lower bearing.

This is fortunate indeed and attests to the strength of SEA WISDOM. In this circumstance, the lower rudder bearing can become levered out of position and dislodged, causing a leak into the boat. Around the World race boats often have a watertight bulkhead just forward of the rudder shafts to prevent the boat from sinking if a rudder is compromised. Or their rudders are transom mounted and either breakaway or kickup for such eventuality.

There are no obvious marks or damage apparent from whale contact, either on SEA WISDOM's keel or rudder. Hitting a sunfish (mola mola) can also cause loss of steering, and has done so in several Sydney2Hobart. Mola Mola can be as big as 8-10 feet across and weigh a ton.

Name:  mola.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  11.5 KB

We look forward to Philpott's video interview with Will Lee, skipper of SEA WISDOM.
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-10-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Update from the LongPac RC:

After getting some rest, Dan Willey on GALAXSEA studied his chart plotter and concluded that he mistakenly turned early, short of the 126 deg 40 min mark. Kudos to him for taking the self-reporting seriously and withdrawing from the race.

We are re-scoring the remaining finishers and will be posting the results on Jibeset as soon as possible. We will post the results here as well. More drama and excitement!

Tom

Re: autopilot “worn out”.. unless it’s leaking oil from the cylinder, it probably just the brushes that need replaced. Those do wear out, but it’s not a good reason to toss the whole thing, unless of course it’s the shotgun approach! Sometimes worth it for peace of mind.
    Congrats to all for making it back safely