Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shameless begging

Default Shameless begging

I got pounded by a $600 traffic ticket a couple of months ago and a mess of accessory charges like filing fees that emptied about $700+ out of the boat fund. I had to put off the Wildcats haulout. **sighing*.

Thus, the begging!

I'm trying to get the Piper in the water. I need two or three halyards, sheets and a shroud. The starboard upper is stranded. So if you have some older, smaller diameter halyards from your Santana 22, Ranger 23 or boat like that, that you're not going to use again I would love them. Sun-bleached and dirty is fine, I'll soak them and clean them up.

If you have some 3/16ths rigging wire...about 22-23 feet of it, with or without end fittings that you don't need, I'll happily put them to use. PM me...

Alan
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I got pounded by a $600 traffic ticket a couple of months ago and a mess of accessory charges like filing fees that emptied about $700+ out of the boat fund. I had to put off the Wildcats haulout. **sighing*.

Thus, the begging!

I'm trying to get the Piper in the water. I need two or three halyards, sheets and a shroud. The starboard upper is stranded. So if you have some older, smaller diameter halyards from your Santana 22, Ranger 23 or boat like that, that you're not going to use again I would love them. Sun-bleached and dirty is fine, I'll soak them and clean them up.

If you have some 3/16ths rigging wire...about 22-23 feet of it, with or without end fittings that you don't need, I'll happily put them to use. PM me...

Alan
    Alan, I have a length of 1/4" forestay wire with a 1/2" eye spice that's at least 34' you can have. It's only 2 years old but broke at the swage fitting during the SHTP. I doubled it back with saddle clamps to make a loop that got shackled back to the bow fitting. I was going to see if Blue Pelican would take it. I'm in Oakland so next time you come up this way, let me know and I can get it to you. No rush. It's beefy though. Might be too large....?

Oh, the Newport 20 rigging went onto a pile at Rogue Rigging for recycling. Maybe ask Ryan about picking up some old stuff?

My dockmate, Howard, is motoring over to BMC as I type. Ryan is re-rigging his 911 Sea Ya. That wire will be on the scrap heap soon enough. Lots of potential rigging for Piper there.

Wait - I'm still trying to sell that boat. I talked to a guy about it yesterday. Is Howard keeping it?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Wait - I'm still trying to sell that boat. I talked to a guy about it yesterday. Is Howard keeping it?
    Howard and I went sailing together Wed night instead of racing in the RYC beercans. Howard on his boat, me on mine. He says I have reminded him of how pleasant is singlehanding. :-) So now he’s doing new rigging, new boomvang ... says I will cost him thousands $$ . Hahaha! I just lured him back in.

Well done! There's another guy in the club I'm working on that way. I just sold him one of Ragtime!'s autopilots.

Come to think of it, that may backfire given my luck with autopilots...

PM sent.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Oh, the Newport 20 rigging went onto a pile at Rogue Rigging for recycling. Maybe ask Ryan about picking up some old stuff?
    That might work!

Yeah, your other forestay is too big. I have the old Norseman fitting from the Piper that is re-useable. I finally got it off the boat yesterday afternoon when I was up there, dry-fitting the rudder. I'll meausure it. THANK YOU!

With the generosity of a certain SSS forumite with an F-31 at the Alameda Marina, who PM'd me (and I assume wants to remain anonymous), and Ants Uiga's offer, I now have three functional halyards, jib sheets, and lines for the barber haulers, traveler adjustment and vang. I washed the mainsheet this weekend and after 30 years of salt and dirt rinsed out of it, it's actually in pretty good shape.

I'll call up Rogue Rigging!

If you look closely at this photograph..

Name:  img349.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  47.0 KB

you can see how the Piper does it's jig/genoa sheeting. There is no track, with cars/blocks. Instead, there's a barberhauler, with the sheet that runs back to a turning block far, far aft. this means that jib/genoa sheets have to be pretty long.
    Last edited by AlanH; 07-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.