Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest in Adding Doublehanded Fleets to St Francis Races

Default Interest in Adding Doublehanded Fleets to St Francis Races

As a general heads-up to the shorthanded sailing community, there is interest in in adding dedicated doublehanded divisions to upcoming races run by the St. Francis Yacht Club, including the Phyllis Kleinman Swiftsure Regatta in August and potentially the Big Boat Series in September. They would need a minimum 6 boats who agree to race together and a point person to be the fleet contact during the regattas.

If there is significant interest, I would recommend reaching out to Susan Ruhne at the SFYC.

I'd be interested, but RBBS is the same weekend as our SSS Half Moon Bay Race. Kleinman is the week before Drake's Bay - possible for others but I'll be off camping.

Longer term I think this is a great idea. SSS's program for doublehanders is a little sparse over the Summer.

Do read the NOR and SI's for the races. I've done Big Boat Series on Beetle (silly races, had a great time) and afterwards there were comments about not inviting boats to race that had airplane propellers on the transom (they did not like my wind generator). St. Francis YC is usually looking for specific types of boats and the Kleinman race is no different - ORR certifications (partial or full), or NCPHRF certs for faster boats (rating no greater than 120). St. Francis likes to see fast good-looking boats on their courses, not a hodge-podge of random 'average' boats that we might happen to own.

I'd ask St. Francis what kind of boats they are looking for in their doublehanded division, particularly for BBS; do they want fancy new Figaro planing yachts and go-fast multihulls, or would they allow an Islander Bahama 30 into the mix?

Measuring a boat for ORR is a fairly complicated possibly-expensive process. Take a good look at the certificate requirements for obtaining a rating before attempting to herd cats (or organize a fleet of double handers).

- rob

"Sorry, I had to bring the Alerion because my Class 40 was in the shop..."

Scott Easom mentioned this possibility awhile back. I told him it might be a bunch of older 30 footers. He didn't seem deterred but I'll mention it again.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    "Sorry, I had to bring the Alerion because my Class 40 was in the shop..."

Scott Easom mentioned this possibility awhile back. I told him it might be a bunch of older 30 footers. He didn't seem deterred but I'll mention it again.
    We know Nathalie. She has an acceptable boat. Maybe we could charter Envolee for the day, wear matching SSS shirts, take our hats off in the dining room afterwards? There would be food, right? I understand Tinsley Island takes reservations now, too. Maybe an SSS cruise out?

The last time I looked at doing the BBS I recall an entry fee north of $500. Am I mistaken ? I can just imagine the carnage on the city front as a few DH boats are tacking up the city front amongst the pro crews aboard the truly big boats. I have to say however that the food in SFYC antrium after the event can be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    The last time I looked at doing the BBS I recall an entry fee north of $500. Am I mistaken ? I can just imagine the carnage on the city front as a few DH boats are tacking up the city front amongst the pro crews aboard the truly big boats. I have to say however that the food in SFYC antrium after the event can be superior.

Oh dear. Tom is just trying to help us fit in, trying to encourage us to make new friends with the right sort of people. And still we manufacture all these frivolous reasons for not doing so. Singlehanders are so difficult. I've eaten at the St Fancy. The food is, indeed, splendid. This evening, here at the Pittsburgh Yacht Club, I chatted with a crowd of people, mostly owners of large motorboats with comfortable accommodations. They were all talking about the excellent food at the St Fancy. Mmmm. I myself had a hot dog for dinner. Tasted good to me.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-18-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    You're right! The RBBS entry fee for my boat would be $855, plus whatever it takes to get a "partially or fully-measured ORR certificate." That's not gonna happen. They should set the entry fee based on crew size.

Kleinman/Swiftsure is a little better at $209 but I think that's just one day, and I'd still need the ORR work-up unless I race non-spinnaker. There's a PHRF division for boats over 35' and non-spinnaker. How odd.

Long live the SSS. 145 bucks for a whole season of racing.
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-18-2019 at 09:26 PM.

And don't forget, the Big Boat Series almost always conflicts with the SSS Half Moon Bay Race.

I can't imagine that they'd want my 26 foot, 1984 boat in the Big Boat Series. That's so much so, that I wonder if the invitation is really for other stuff.

I don't actually pay much attention to the races that the Saint Francis puts on, but they DO do a lot for smaller-boat fleets like Mercuries and the Knarrs and all, yes?

There is NO WAY I am dropping the $$ on an ORR certification. George told me what he's have to go through for an ORR cert for Skye for the Coastal Cup and...well....forget it.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"