Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has a "little" boat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who has a "little" boat?

I mean a dinghy, or a little Flying Junior, Banshee, centerboard daysailer?

I wanna see what you've got.

I'm missing my skerry.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1173
Size:  1.94 MB

At 32 pounds, the strip plank Wee Lassie built by David Barrett is the lightest. Henry, the Corgi, was three pounds heavier.

Ants

I found this Penobscot 14 in a neighbor's garage. The neighbor's godfather gave it to him. He can't find the title for either the boat or the trailer but is talking to the family - if he can find the paperwork I'll probably buy it. I've been jonesin' to get a little boat for a long time.

There's also an OK Dinghy up in Petaluma that is only $350. I'm tempted to go have a look if this P14 doesn't pan out.

Name:  Blue Bayou.JPG
Views: 1784
Size:  2.50 MB
    Last edited by BobJ; 07-25-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I found this Penobscot 14 in a neighbor's garage. The neighbor's godfather gave it to him. He can't find the title for either the boat or the trailer but is talking to the family - if he can find the paperwork I'll probably buy it. I've been jonesin' to get a little boat for a long time.

There's also an OK Dinghy up in Petaluma that is only $350. I'm tempted to go have a look if this P14 doesn't pan out.

Name:  Blue Bayou.JPG
Views: 1784
Size:  2.50 MB
    That Penobscot is one beautiful boat!

Trinket, a 6'-6" canvas covered dingy, purchased by my younger more impetuous self (age 20 ish) from a summer camp that I had worked at in the Berkshire hills in western Mass. I stored in my parents cellar, years pass, I move to California, the inquiries about when am a going to get my boat out of the cellar cease after 20 years, it has become an accepted fixture in the house. Two years ago my mom passes, the house must be emptied. I inquire about the cost of shipping it to the west coast, ($2K+), I resolve to donate it to a worthy marine trade school.
    A month later, I look out on my driveway one morning, there it is. No explanation. No note. I suspect my middle brother. We have a family history of surprising each other, showing up un-anounced on birthdays etc.
    Attachment 4578Attachment 4579

Gauntlet thrown down. I have been nibbling around the edge of accepting the challenge. It was made by the Penn-Yan Boat Co. of Penn Yan NY, it was originally canvas covered, but the abuse it was receiving at the YMCA camp had stripped this away. Without the canvas it leaked copiously, but I remembered enjoying rowing it. Each oar stroke seemed to be able to get her up on a plane, for about 1.5 boat lengths before she settled back in the water.
    Now that I've copped to own this "trinket", I sure the SSS community will inquire, frequently, if I've made any progress in the restoration....? Probably the fire beneath my derriere needed to get me started.
    Chris & FUGU

Quote Originally Posted by FUGU-W30 View Post
    Trinket, a 6'-6" canvas covered dingy ... if I've made any progress in the restoration....? Chris & FUGU
    Hey, Chris! When are you going to take me for a ride on Trinket?

Oooh...that strip planked wee lassie is pretty...
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default More little stuff

Views: 1229
Size:  4.52 MB

The strip plank kayak (at 50 pounds) is a one-off version a well-designed Mariner Max kayak. The rotomolded Jackson Rogue kayak (at about 65 pounds) is better suited for bouncing off the rocks in the Kern River whitewater.

Interestingly, these two kayaks have opposite turning chacteristics. The Rogue turns on the inside edge while the Mariner Max turns on the outside edge to go in the same direction.

Photo taken at Nimpkish Lake on Vancouver Island.

Ants

Views: 1134
Size:  4.73 MB

This McKenzie River drift boat goes up in weight to about 170 pounds. The pointy end is not the bow. The broad end goes downriver first. The rocker allows the boat to pivot easily in standing waves. Great platform for fly fishing - stable as a dock. The oars are used to turn the boat and pull away from rocks and other obstacles.
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 07-24-2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Double image.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I was visiting Idaho a few weeks ago and every fourth car seemed to be towing a drift boat. Really made me want one.