Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

I've put out the word to the Santa Rosa Sailing Club (SRSC) and Sailing Education Adventures (SEA) out of Loch Lomond. All small boats. For those interested the SRSC has a Labor Day Weekend Regatta at Tomales Bay. Camp on the west shore, sail/race during the day. Not a RAID, but if you've never sailed and camped on Tomales, you should. -- Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    but if you've never sailed and camped on Tomales, you should. -- Pat
    Seriously!

Another contest!

Per Philpott, the incentive to participate gets the following prize - a sticker from that infamous Gilroy radio station that was on the air during the late 70's and early 80's (rare item).

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 991
Size:  1.62 MB

From the same time era, what was significant about this orange object and why was it subject to the vandalism / misuse that is shown?

It brought back memories when I saw this again.

Ants

The infamous Gilroy radio station would be KFAT. My favorite DJ is Mary Tilson and I listened to her on KFAT when we visited our daughter in Santa Cruz - didn't get it in Santa Rosa and way too early for Internet streaming. Joy! Now I listed to her on KPFA, which come thru in Santy Rosy! Of course if M.T. wasn't on air while were were in range, I listened to KFAT when possible. A quirky station for sure! Pat Broderick, hopeless Country music fan - especially string/mountain music. Although I grew up in Western Oregon, most of the neighbors in rural Lane County migrated from Dust Bowl, and other depressed areas before and after the war. As a kid attending local square dances and impromptu concerts that's my music.

The infamous Gilroy radio station would be KFAT.
    Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Posts of Life.

Name:  kfat.gif
Views: 677
Size:  17.3 KB

I still have one of those orange red plastic milk crates. So strong, They were good for taking the load of 300 pounds of trailer tongue weight, or used as a portable step to get off the dock and onboard MERLIN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9-FOLG-iA

The infamous Gilroy radio station would be KFAT. My favorite DJ is Mary Tilson and I listened to her on KFAT when we visited our daughter in Santa Cruz - didn't get it in Santa Rosa and way too early for Internet streaming. Joy! Now I listed to her on KPFA, which come thru in Santy Rosy! Of course if M.T. wasn't on air while were were in range, I listened to KFAT when possible. A quirky station for sure! Pat Broderick, hopeless Country music fan - especially string/mountain music. Although I grew up in Western Oregon, most of the neighbors in rural Lane County migrated from Dust Bowl, and other depressed areas before and after the war. As a kid attending local square dances and impromptu concerts that's my music.
    Well, it is heartwarming to know there are Fatheads around. The contest was not to name the radio station, but the prize is a KFAT sticker (ready to stick where you want).

The contest question is below the picture.

Special note for WylieGuy - the KFAT was picked up by an Oregon radio station at one time after the Gilroy station was sold. Imagine my surprise when the station came on the air while driving by.

KFAT music lives. The Internet Archive has hours and hours of KFAT recorded music to listen to!

Still waiting on the contest question........

Ants

Oct. - 19-20 it is, then...and up the Napa River, to I assume The Quanci Manse!

How much water y'all got up there?
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-25-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Oct. - 19-20 it is, then...and up the Napa River, to I assume The Quanci Manse!
    How much water y'all got up there?
    The old Southampton Light House is no where near Napa. One can't visit without proper papers...Regarding Oct. 19-20 Raid, best to check distances and currents. It could be a bit of a pull?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Oct. - 19-20 it is, then...and up the Napa River, How much water y'all got up there?
    https://www.tide-forecast.com/locati...a/tides/latest

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    Generous offer Skip! I am going to see if I can drum up a bit more participation.

Mothership with more flags and CBC burgee? Hmmm
    Let's see if this incentive gets more participants?

All SSS Raid starters and mother ships get a KFAT sticker.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 886
Size:  2.23 MB

I checked the currents / tides with the ever useful L-36 website.

There is the tail end of a ebb at the start about 9 am. About 2 hours later, the flood starts. It seems a shallow draft rowing vessel could enjoy the birds along the mudflats before the tide kicks. Keep the depth sounder on.

As for Sunday, I don't have a clue. But, the distance is short. Maybe have an extra cup of coffee.

Ants