Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Oct. - 19-20 it is, then...and up the Napa River, to I assume The Quanci Manse!

How much water y'all got up there?
    According to FUGU's draft, something less than 5.5 feet by the Brazos drawbridge, and a couple spots downriver.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    According to FUGU's draft, something less than 5.5 feet by the Brazos drawbridge, and a couple spots downriver.
    The river isn't all that wide up there.
    Hmm....that's pretty tight for the Piper, if I have to tack at all.
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-26-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

A couple of years ago while investigating possible Santa Rosa Sailing Club "Adventure Sails" I exchanged emails with the then-Napa YC Commodore. He said a normal day's sailing for him in his 32-foot sloop was to motor down the Napa River and then sail back up. I think the prevailing wind would provide a reach/run. But someone might want to contact the NYC and ask. They sail up that way all the time and have the local knowledge. -- Pat

I'm keeping an eye on craigslist for something small...in the 11-13 foot range, that is rowable, and is *very* inexpensive. It's obvious that while I can probably get the Piper ready for this, and I might be able to sail the Piper to Quqnci Central, sailing back down the river isn't going to happen.

It IS tempting to make one of these: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Big-Guide-quot

or these: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-sheet-rowboat

as they are much similar to the skerry, and can be made "relatively" quickly from two sheets of 1/4 inch lywood for the hull and another sheet for bulkheads, airtight flotation chamges and so on....but time...time....

I always thought the skerry was a dream to row, but kind of sucked as a sailboat.
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Wind blows upriver most days... and current carries all the way to Napa (we will be going with a flood). RYC did a cruise to Napa several months ago... a few 40 foot sloops drawing near 7 feet made it there no problem (though the bridge with 62 feet of clearance made one boat with a tall rig a wee bit nervous). Yes the navigatable channel is pretty narrow - but for small boats plenty wide.

Maybe bring a fishing pole and troll most of the RAID? :-)

Sadly, the Penobscot 14 has disappeared. The young man got married recently and the house was re-rented.

What about this one? The ad says that both main and jib are on roller-furlers. Well, okay... At least it's blue.

Name:  Strange Rig.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  137.9 KB

Default It was suggested a good place to promote the RAID is at Totally Dinghy...

...the weekend after next at RYC. So started the beginning of a "flyer"... so here goes... and I have a bit of an "itch" that maybe this isn't needed at all... maybe word of mouth with a few friends/boats is all we really need. But the "more people the more fun" part of me reflexively wants to widen participation...

RAID
    Pt. Richmond to Napa
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_(boating)

A dinghy adventure
    Not a race, but a passage with friends
    RYC to Vallejo on Saturday October 19th
    Vallejo to Napa on Sunday October 20th
    Sunday late afternoon BBQ in Napa

What?
    • Use the boat you have on a passage from Pt. Richmond to Napa
    • But don’t use a boat that might need to be rescued – as there is no event organizer to rescue you.
    • Laser, Radial and Bytes? Sure. FJ? You bet. Mercury? Yup. 420 or 470? Yessir.
    • Optimist or El Toro. Don’t think so – though maybe you have a self-bailer and are an “expert”.
    • 29er or 49er? Do you have the skills to not have to be “bailed out”?
    • Row boat or kayak? Yes!
    • What boat you choose is your responsibility after careful consideration of your sailing skills – as even the safest most stable boats can be dangerous in stiff winds and choppy seas.
    • Self-sufficiency is a must.
    • Seamanship is a must.
    • You are responsible for being and staying safe – no crash boats, no supervision.
    • You are solely responsible for evaluating the weather forecast and your boat handling skills - and deciding if you can make the voyage safely.

Timing
    • Unorganized meet at RYC at 630am Saturday October 19th to launch boats and take trailers and most cars to Napa.
    • Carpool back to RYC.
    • Leave RYC around 9am (maybe 930am).
    • Feel free to start from “elsewhere” – anywhere convenient for you.
    • Lodging in Vallejo? Find a single-hander doing the Vallejo 1-2 with an empty bunk and who can also carry your sleeping bag and spare clothes. Or get creative (leave a car in Vallejo?)…

What else?
    • If the weather forecast is “light” which can happen in late October, you might want to bring a paddle (this is not a race so paddling is perfectly okay).
    • Borrow a handheld VHF race “just in case” (and might be needed for bigger dinghies that need the bridge in Vallejo to open).
    • Wear a wetsuit and lifejacket? I sure am. This is several hours on the water in a dinghy (a Laser in my case) – where if “s___ happens” one could find oneself in the water for longer than one wants to be.
    • And if the weather looks bad, skip the RAID, spend the weekend working on your boat – and you are still welcome in Napa for an afternoon BBQ.

Last
    • There is no “organization” or “person” responsible for this RAID.
    • Its friends going on an adventure.
    • Each of us responsible for ourselves (though yes travelling in company so there are friends around should one get in a pinch).
    • That said, it would good to know if you are coming – to insure we have enough food at the BBQ, to tell you where the BBQ is, and talk to Richmond YC, Vallejo YC and Napa YC on the number of dinghies likely to be “dropping in”. Let me know if you are a “go” or a “maybe” – and what sort of boat you will likely be in. jim.quanci@autodesk.com

I want to do this...but the Piper probably will not be ready....and I have to give up the Vallejo 1-2 to do it. I've hardly been on the water with the SSS this season, this is my last chance this year to sail with the gang.

However, I'm still watching craigslist for something appropriate.

I'll be focused on the Vallejo 1 and then getting S! back to RYC and cleaned up. But I think these events could catch on, so I'm interested.

I have a question. As pretty as that Penobscot 14 was, would it be better to have a boat that is self-rescuing? The P14 didn't have any decking, even over the bow. You could put inflatable cylinders in it (like the Optis do) but it would still be full of water when you righted it. Taking off across San Pablo Bay knowing that you absolutely can't capsize seems unrealistic.

All that said, I discovered I still have the owner's phone number.