Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

So, kids, what date and location have you decided upon? This I gotta see.

Seriously though...THREE people have expressed interest in actually going. Is that gonna be it?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Well, I no way can go the weekend of Sept 21st. That's Joans birthday, and I need time to assemble/fix...or whatever it's gonna be, the boat I'll use. So the weekend of the 28th makes sense. Later than that and it could rain, I suppose....as difficult as it is to imagine that, right now.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quite a few options have been offered. All are acceptable to me, but my preference would be the following order.

1. Napa River. It is such a fun place. I could launch something from my dry storage at Brickyard Cove.

2. Tomales Bay. Decades ago found me racing my Lightning there. It would be fun to return.

3. Anywhere in Delta. Little time has been spent in Delta (on the water). No reason not to change that. A sabot may be more difficult with currents, so rowing / paddling options may be better.

No restriction on any of the dates (so far).

Of course, I have never figured if a sabot full of dry bags is feasible. Not a big deal. The canoe with oars can easily hold a cooler and all the other paraphernalia.

If the Tomales Bay venue adds another group, that would be a nice plus.

Ants

Row or sail with huge carrying capacity and a gear trampoline:

https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...Ourigger-Canoe

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Quite a few options have been offered. All are acceptable to me, but my preference would be the following order.

1. Napa River. It is such a fun place. I could launch something from my dry storage at Brickyard Cove.

2. Tomales Bay. Decades ago found me racing my Lightning there. It would be fun to return.

3. Anywhere in Delta. Little time has been spent in Delta (on the water). No reason not to change that. A sabot may be more difficult with currents, so rowing / paddling options may be better.

No restriction on any of the dates (so far).

Of course, I have never figured if a sabot full of dry bags is feasible. Not a big deal. The canoe with oars can easily hold a cooler and all the other paraphernalia.

If the Tomales Bay venue adds another group, that would be a nice plus.

Ants
    So how about Vallejo 1-2 weekend? We sail with the fleet to Vallejo on Saturday... then on to Napa on Sunday. Even with just 3 of us... Saturday with the whole fleet should be fun. And a passing sailor might pass a cold beer... its only a 45 minute drive from Pt. Richmond to Napa... could launch boats 7am ish, move trailers to Napa 8am ish, and car pool back to Pt. Richmond to start the race 9 am ish. Maybe catch a tow to the starting line with a friend. And if there is no wind... can probably catch a tow from the middle of San Pablo Bay to Vallejo too. Everyone have a handheld VHF "just in case"?

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    So how about Vallejo 1-2 weekend? We sail with the fleet to Vallejo on Saturday... then on to Napa on Sunday. Even with just 3 of us... Saturday with the whole fleet should be fun. And a passing sailor might pass a cold beer... its only a 45 minute drive from Pt. Richmond to Napa... could launch boats 7am ish, move trailers to Napa 8am ish, and car pool back to Pt. Richmond to start the race 9 am ish. Maybe catch a tow to the starting line with a friend. And if there is no wind... can probably catch a tow from the middle of San Pablo Bay to Vallejo too. Everyone have a handheld VHF "just in case"?
    The weekend of 19-20 October is open, so that seems reasonable to me. Just to be clear, we have a one way trip on water to Vallejo on Saturday (with the fleet), and a short hop up the Napa River on Sunday where our vehicles have been shuttled the day before.

It seems like a rowing event to me, unless I think a kayak is faster ( but kayak hold few cold drinks).

I like the plan!

Ants

PS DSC VHF radio and PLB are handy and ready to use. Wet suit and dry suit with PFD are also available.
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 08-22-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Safety comments added

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The weekend of 19-20 October is open, so that seems reasonable to me. Just to be clear, we have a one way trip on water to Vallejo on Saturday (with the fleet), and a short hop up the Napa River on Sunday where our vehicles have been shuttled the day before.

It seems like a rowing event to me, unless I think a kayak is faster ( but kayak hold few cold drinks).

I like the plan!

Ants

PS DSC VHF radio and PLB are handy and ready to use. Wet suit and dry suit with PFD are also available.
    Roger. Weekend penciled in. Do I bring a paddle... hmmm Now I need to finish Awlgrip ing the bottom. :-)

If weekend of Oct. 19-20, WILDFLOWER volunteers as ice, beer, and tug boat. I think there is a fancier "mothership" with more flags and a CBC burgee already committed who has practice on the Napa River.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    If weekend of Oct. 19-20, WILDFLOWER volunteers as ice, beer, and tug boat. I think there is a fancier "mothership" with more flags and a CBC burgee already committed who has practice on the Napa River.
    Generous offer Skip! I am going to see if I can drum up a bit more participation.

Mothership with more flags and CBC burgee? Hmmm