Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

This is a larger version of the P14 I was drooling over. It's a lot heavier (300# ish). On one hand it can handle rougher water, but on the other hand it would be harder to right from a capsize.

With stern drainage - usually transom flaps and suction bailers - and adequate ballast tanks, perhaps it could be made to be self-rescuing, assuming it could be brought upright. Other than the high price, thoughts?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/boa...994761636.html
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-08-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    This is a larger version of the P14 I was drooling over. It's a lot heavier (300# ish). On one hand it can handle rougher water, but on the other hand it would be harder to right from a capsize.

With stern drainage - usually transom flaps and suction bailers - and adequate ballast tanks, perhaps it could be made to be self-rescuing, assuming it could be brought upright. Other than the high price, thoughts?

That's an Arch Davis Penobscot 17?

take a look, Bob.

https://www.archdavisdesigns.com/davis_penobscot17.html

Note this part...

"For those who would like to do some more extended cruising, the Penobscot 17 provides an extra reserve of buoyancy and stability. Like the Penobscot 14, she has flotation compartments at bow and stern; in addition, the plans show four inch thick slabs of styrofoam flotation under the side seats which run the full length of the boat. The styrofoam is tucked away out of sight, but the plans show how to make it easy to remove for maintenance.
    "
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-08-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

It looks like a P-17 to me (and the ad says it is). Yes, I saw the flotation comments. But I'm wondering how much water is left in it after righting it from a capsize - can it be sailed away?

Those wide side seats (which are full length) may keep enough water out while on its side, if it floats high enough.

I had transom flaps in my FJ. If you could get back in it and get moving, the remaining water would drain out the back. My Banshees had suction bailers in the bottom. But they were light and fast, and I don't know how you'd install bailers in a lapstrake, wooden hull.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-04-2019 at 03:53 PM.

The price seems in the general range for traditional wooden boats. An inspection is usually needed to determine if the builder and maintainer liked excellent work. A item to consider is location. There seems to be a lot more offerings in PNW, but there are costs and logistics to view and retrieve.

I have my doubts if a traditional boat would sail away and drain like a performance dinghy. In case of a capsize, the capability to right the boat, get back in, and bail without taking on more water seems useful.

The U.K. Sailors have extensive small boat cruisers. I wonder if posted information could be found.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-08-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    The price seems in the general range for traditional wooden boats. An inspection is usually needed to determine if the builder and maintainer liked excellent work. A item to consider is location. There seems to be a lot more offerings in PNW, but there are costs and logistics to view and retrieve.

I have my doubts if a traditional boat would sail away and drain like a performance dinghy. In case of a capsize, the capability to right the boat, get back in, and bail without taking on more water seems useful.

The U.K. Sailors have extensive small boat cruisers. I wonder if posted information could be found.
    http://www.dinghycruising.org.uk/

also the facebook group for those still on FB:

There is a lot on the Wooden Boat Forum about "Sail and Oar" but dear GOD, you must understand that. "Sail and Oar" is a RELIGION there. It does NOT mean "cruising around on a boat which sails, that you can also row". That said, the Sail 'n Oar folks have some wickedly cool boats. A personal favorite is Ben Fullers "Harrier"

Name:  ben-fuler-sculling.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  294.8 KB

Name:  beam-to-under-sail.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  197.1 KB

Here's a good article about the Penobscot 17:

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/penobscot-17/

Near the end of the Comments is one by Ed Titus, describing a capsize of his boat. I'm pretty sure this is the same boat that's for sale on CL. I've sent the owner an e-mail - we'll see where this goes.

What a gorgeous boat!

Here's a good article about the Penobscot 17:

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/penobscot-17/

Near the end of the Comments is one by Ed Titus, describing a capsize of his boat. I'm pretty sure this is the same boat that's for sale on CL. I've sent the owner an e-mail - we'll see where this goes.

What a gorgeous boat!
    Love you can both row it... and bail it dry after a rollover. Not having to call for help...

Preparations for the RAID got a little saltier-

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 649
Size:  2.54 MB

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    Preparations for the RAID got a little saltier-

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 649
Size:  2.54 MB
    So...
    Who is going?
    Meet at RYC Saturday morning at 7am to launch boats and drive cars/trailers to Napa Valley YC? Then carpool back to RYC for a 9am ish start? May get wife to drive us.