Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sss raid

Here is some Delta Bridge clearance information.

Mokelumne River Bridge (Highway 12): HW 8' / LW 11'
    Little Potato Slough Bridge (Terminous/Highway 12). HW 35' / LW 38'
    Bethel Island Bridge (non-opening) Hw 15' / LW 19'

Here's a photo of the Terminous Bridge taken by a Philpott? Any relation?

Name:  Terminous Bridge - Philpott.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  60.1 KB

Just a word of caution about bridges and current. You always need to take current into consideration when approaching a Delta bridge, especially I think, in a non-motorized boat. An eon ago I sailed an O'Day Daysailor around up there, sleeping in the boat, etc. It did have oars, but they were pretty ineffective. I had several close "mast calls" when I misjudged the current and how long it took a swing bridge to swing or lift bridge to lift. And then there was a passage through the Mukolemne Highway 12 bridge when it opened and I just couldn't over come the ebb given the lack of wind and lack of rowing. The tender finally tooted and closed the span and about a 100 unhappy motorists continued their journey. I managed to make Korth's Pirate's Lair before being swept out into the S.J. river.

The Bethel Island bride is an "arc", right? It's higher in the middle than it is at the edges. It's about 15 feet at the edges, I think it's more than 19 in the middle. However you only have to go under it if you go the "west route" through the sloughs to get to Sunset Harbor.

I've been at Sunset Harbor when the current was running and it's substantial, like 4+ knots so planning is important.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Bethel island Bridge

Name:  20120908_17.JPG
Views: 1232
Size:  434.9 KB

Here is the site I use for currents in the Delta: https://deltaboating.com/tides/tidesj.html

On July 31 I spent the night at Tower Park after sailing up the Potato Slough to Little Potato Slough, ending at the Bridge there, called Little Potato Slough Bridge.

Name:  Little Potato Slough Bridge 080119.JPG
Views: 1373
Size:  228.6 KB

Two requirements: Four hours notice is required to open the bridge. Call the Rio Vista Bridge operator @ 707.374.2134 and persuade the operator that there really is a bridge at Terminous. It is located in Lodi (San Joaquin County) and the locals all refer to it as the Tower Bridge, at which point you'll be transferred to the Tower Bridge operator, located in downtown Sacramento (Sacramento County). That is NOT, however, the bridge at Tower Park.

Just part of the fun, right? Well, because I was tired and couldn't reach Greg until later, that was the reason I was willing to pay the $35/night outside the Waterfront Grill. Seemed a steep price to pay for an empty marina, but everyone was nice. Especially Aaron.

Apparently the bridge is opened very seldom. How do I know this? Because Aaron told me he has never seen it open. Well, indeed. I was the only sailboat on the water.

Name:  Aaron at Tower Park 080119.JPG
Views: 1112
Size:  217.3 KB

Aaron and I met at 5:30 am on August 1. Aaron is night watchman at Tower Park Marina and campgrounds. He went to call his girlfriend and her little girl to come watch.

Late in the evening of July 31, after several phone calls and transfers, I had finally reached Greg, Bridge supervisor of District 10, by phone, who scheduled a bridge opening for 7 am. He was very nice. Said he would make the arrangements.

Did the bridge over highway 12 open? Well, yes. There were at least five DOT trucks on hand and more men than that. They all stood there watching, coffee cups in hand, and waved as I passed under the bridge. The whole closing/opening/closing took no more than twelve minutes, then I was in the South Mokelumne River.

If you turn to starboard there is a really nice anchorage. Just you, the fishermen and the cranes. Really nice.

Attachment 4645
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-09-2019 at 02:12 PM.

If folks reall don't want to do the the loop I outlined, we can always just go up the Napa River.

The fixed bridge height was for the one at the south end of Franks Tract. I probably got the bridge name wrong.

There's a chance that some Santa Rosa Sailing Club (all small boats) members might want to join in. Our August meeting is this Wednesday. I've been forwarding some of the SSS info and will bring it up at the meeting.

By the way, the SRSC hosts a Labor Day Regatta on Tomales Bay with camping on the west side and some mostly informal racing. They's welcome small boat SSS participation. --Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    The fixed bridge height was for the one at the south end of Franks Tract. I probably got the bridge name wrong.

There's a chance that some Santa Rosa Sailing Club (all small boats) members might want to join in. Our August meeting is this Wednesday. I've been forwarding some of the SSS info and will bring it up at the meeting.

By the way, the SRSC hosts a Labor Day Regatta on Tomales Bay with camping on the west side and some mostly informal racing. They's welcome small boat SSS participation. --Pat
    The more, the merrier....I think!
    I know that Sunset Harbor has a lot of open space for trailers and tents. It's a half mile walk over the bridge onto the Island to the closest little grocery/convenience store.

Default Hope this RAID can happen...

Got me motivated to fix the leaks in my Laser... and give it a bottom job (I am halfway done AwlGriping). When its a 1972 boat one learned to sail and race on, it shows a bit of wear and tear. ;-)

I'm torn between popping for a used boat on craigslist or wood-screwing and PL100'ing together a quick 'n dirty plywood skiff to use the lug rig and rudder I've already got.
    http://www.simplicityboats.com/LCB.htm