Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schumacher 1/4 ton Summertime Dream

Default Schumacher 1/4 ton Summertime Dream

Selling 1979 classic ¼ ton boat, Summertime Dream. This 26 foot custom sloop was designed by Carl Schumacher and built by Choate. Exceptional race record including 2 North American ¼ ton championships. Fully restored in 2011 and still wins races! Also works well as a fun San Francisco Bay day sailor. PHRF 186. New Micron 66 bottom paint Feb 2018. Set up for short-handed sailing. Asking 7,000 dollars
    Contact Scott Owens at 510 846 2670

• Raymarine X5 Autopilot
    • Raymarine DST800 depth and knot meter
    • Raymarine i70 instrument display
    • carbon fiber main
    • carbon fiber genoa
    • carbon fiber #3
    • shy kite
    • 2 ¾ ounce spinnakers
    • cruising main
    • cruising jib
    • Dacron genoa
    • special boom for cruising
    • 2 spinnaker poles
    • spinnaker pole sock
    • high tech runners and sheets
    • 2 hp Honda outboard with few hours
    • anchor and rode
    • fenders and mooring lines
    • portable running light
    Last edited by ScottOwens; 08-10-2019 at 06:49 PM. Reason: forgot price

First of all, Scott, I have to say thank you for the memories. It was always a pleasure to watch you sail your beautiful boat, even as you crushed most every competitor. I can think of half a dozen people who will be happy to see you move on to torment another, different fleet. What wicked fast boat do you intend to sail wicked fast next? Don’t tell me: a Wyliecat?

I suspect this was a hard decision - Scott and Summertime Dream go all the way back.

Scott, you are welcome aboard Surprise! any time. She's another fine work of Carl's. No doubt you can help me learn to sail her.

The decision to sell Summertime Dream has been very difficult. It is a wonderful boat to race on and also to just go sailing in the afternoon on the estuary. However, I want to do one last ocean race, the 2020 SHTP and there is no way I can take Summertime Dream on that race. So I'm in the process of buying another boat for the SHTP and while I love sailboats, I can handle only one at a time.

Bob, I'd love to sail on your boat. Carl was always pushing me to buy an Alerion. He thought it was one of his best designs. Also I want to see the jacuzzi you have installed in the stern after eliminating the mizzen mast.

So easy to sail, she sails herself - no skipper required!

Name:  Summertime Dream.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  113.4 KB

Scott,

Bit curious why you think Summertime Dream is not up for HI? Seems like she would be difficult to beat with a 186 rating (at least with you sailing her).

Tom

I think Summertime Dream could do it if: I got a more robust mast and rigging, and got rid of the runners. In order to get rid of the runners, I would have to do swept back spreaders(this is the common practice for the European 1/4 ton class when they restore the boats). To support the swept back spreaders, my chain plates would have to move back and I would need to redo the chain plate struts inside the boat. I would also look at getting a new rudder,shaft and bearing. I think it is fine in the bay, but day after day in the ocean I don't think it is up to the task. I would need a lot of new electronics as all the boat has is an AP and a hand held GPS and VHF. Also my life lines are totally wrong for the ocean race, but great for short tacking in the bay. I don't have any quarter berths or benches or chairs. I gutted the insides when I did the restore because the intention was to be a day-sailor boat only. My hatch is for day-sailing also, I would have to do some serious rework on it .
    I came to the conclusion that it's too much work for me given the time and my other commitments. So I'm looking at a more turnkey boat.
    As to the rating : I have been very fortunate in my SSS bay races. The conditions for the last three years have been mostly perfect for Summertime Dream to sail better than it is rated. However from my previous experience on the boat during its young years that is not the case for the ocean. It is a struggle to sail to the rating in the ocean waves in big breezes. But If I could get 8-12 knots of breeze and flat water, watch out.

Scott;
    I will enjoy coming in first, but I loved every race in the class with you. Know it or not, you and Summertime Dream have always Pushed me in a very great way. My Irish Blessing and I will totally miss you.

Scott;
    Ditto Chad's sentiments! And good to hear your have SHTP in your future!

Chris, Fugu, Wilderness 30