Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay 2019

Default Drakes Bay 2019

What is the finish time for Saturday? I recall a bit of a kerfuffle regarding the shortened finish from 23:59 to 2159 last year. Am I misremembering? Is that even a word?

That would be in the SIs.... which haven't been posted yet.

It is 2159 again. Our boats can make this, Jackie.... if there is some decent southerly wind. Given that this is not overly prevailing this time of the year- what are the conditions this year if a boat only finishes Drake’s Bay II? Cheers Jan
    II?

Quote Originally Posted by hijan1 View Post
    It is 2159 again. Our boats can make this, Jackie.... if there is some decent southerly wind. Given that this is not overly prevailing this time of the year- what are the conditions this year if a boat only finishes Drake’s Bay II? Cheers Jan
    II?
    Oh well. It’s worth the try, Jan. I notice that this year the anchor light reminder is at least in RED TYPE. I hope all those full crews remember to leave their lights on for Dura Mater. I’ve learned some things about singlehanded anchoring out here in the delta but my skills may not transfer to a dark bay full of unlit boats. Be afraid, unlit boats, be very afraid.

It is good to see you back in the saddle, Dr Mike! I hope your ribs are as healed as they can be since the Long Pac? You’ve got points to catch up on. Does it hurt to sheet in?

Another example of SSS flexibility: The Skippers Meeting was held outside last night at the Encinal Yacht Club. In the dark. No food. $10 all the beer you could drink. No SSS RC representation in Drakes Bay, but WAIT! Who is that front and center? Why, it's Rob MacFarlane with his mothership, Tiger Beetle, down from the Pacific Northwest. He and Kristen will be aboard Tiger Beetle in Drakes Bay when we arrive, so everything is copacetic. Almost like Hanalei Bay again.

Name:  Drakes Bay Skippers meeting.JPG
Views: 2011
Size:  251.8 KB

Inquiring minds want to know....how was Drakes Bay?

It was a very pleasant two days. A little light but thats OK. We finished before dark and in time to visit some of the boats rafted up in Drakes Bay while the sun was shining. The race committees (BYC and Inverness YC) did a great job.

Agreed - light wind but enough, most of the time. At first it was a bit bumpy for raft-ups but it calmed down. Mulan tied alongside for the night. Fugu tried as well, but was bouncing around too much and anchored by himself. Before dusk, Beetle-pirates launched a small boat and came alongside, carrying warm beer. I took pity and gave them cold ones to drink. After Fugu departed, I hoped another french-press equipped boat would tie on. No such luck - I had to drink instant!

As expected, Tortuga was serving fresh-baked goods (scones) Sunday morning. It was tempting enough that 3-4 boats missed the check-in deadline. Fortunately I had already eaten my sugary cereal and didn't get drawn in.

It was a very pleasant weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know....how was Drakes Bay?
    I have a lot of nice shots, but am in the middle of an audit, so can't take the time right now to post the beauty that is Drakes Bay.

However, here is Chris on FUGU (note the little critter hanging from his stern pulpit) starting up the outboard before heading over to the city front. Monday morning he headed to the Pyrennees where he is "chasing after my wife" on a bicycle.

Name:  Chris on FUGU - Copy.JPG
Views: 1806
Size:  247.7 KB.

Randy baked scones with fresh blueberry muffins, adjusted his long solar panel to starboard and pretended to be an Italian espresso bar, lining up the muffins. Threw me one and it was mmmmm delicious. Wish you were there. Maybe next year?