Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drakes Bay 2019

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Drakes Bay 2019

What is the finish time for Saturday? I recall a bit of a kerfuffle regarding the shortened finish from 23:59 to 2159 last year. Am I misremembering? Is that even a word?

That would be in the SIs.... which haven't been posted yet.

It is 2159 again. Our boats can make this, Jackie.... if there is some decent southerly wind. Given that this is not overly prevailing this time of the year- what are the conditions this year if a boat only finishes Drake’s Bay II? Cheers Jan
    II?

Quote Originally Posted by hijan1 View Post
    It is 2159 again. Our boats can make this, Jackie.... if there is some decent southerly wind. Given that this is not overly prevailing this time of the year- what are the conditions this year if a boat only finishes Drake’s Bay II? Cheers Jan
    II?
    Oh well. It’s worth the try, Jan. I notice that this year the anchor light reminder is at least in RED TYPE. I hope all those full crews remember to leave their lights on for Dura Mater. I’ve learned some things about singlehanded anchoring out here in the delta but my skills may not transfer to a dark bay full of unlit boats. Be afraid, unlit boats, be very afraid.

It is good to see you back in the saddle, Dr Mike! I hope your ribs are as healed as they can be since the Long Pac? You’ve got points to catch up on. Does it hurt to sheet in?

Quote Originally Posted by hijan1 View Post
    Our boats can make this, Jackie.... if there is some decent southerly wind.
    Nice job, Jan! Even without "decent southerly wind"! And with that pretty spinnaker of yours!

Tru dat! Bob gave me some good tips for singlehanding my quite-large, assym. Its been daunting to try on my own, (challenging enuf with full crew) as it's mast-head and the tack goes out on a 6 ft pole.. getting it up and trimming not so bad, but the thought of dousing gives me the heepy-jeebies.. especially in any kind of breeze or unexpected drama! I will get the nerve up and practice in the bay... there just may be a big blue kite (hopefully not all wrapped around my forestay!) chasing the fleet in the Half Moon Bay race!

m/Users/michaelchammout/Desktop/Mulan Pics/FullSizeRender-9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Nice job, Jan! Even without "decent southerly wind"! And with that pretty spinnaker of yours!
    Thanks Jackie- and first of all thanks to the RC for organizing!

DB was two beautiful days on the ocean, and I was happy that I could finish both races.I am not really that satisfied with my times, maybe I should have headed further off shore both times. Or maybe it was just that it took me longer and I got stuck in a low pressure area going up like several others. Tried the same as Psycho Tiller in the video, minus the code 0 that I do not have. Heading further downwind with the spinnaker up was not really faster to get me to Drake's Bay.

While hoisting the spinnaker I heard a blowing sound and had to jibe VERY quickly for a surfacing whale. Apart from that it was a really uneventful, sometimes slow, but very nice race up.

On the way back I put the spinnaker up right away and hugged the coast again. I have worked as as a cab driver for a couple of years so shortest distance has some appeal to me, and it allowed me to bring up the chute right away. I made ok progress, but maybe heading out would have been better.

I decided to carry my chute through the bridge. Punishment came quick: I probably lost 10 min recovering my spinnaker. Everything went well until the spinnaker sheet slipped out of the cleat, and the resulting flapping somehow triggered the snap shackle for the sheet to open (Note: upgrade snap shackles). Tried to bring the sail in to windward without success, so I had to blow the halyard and drag it in with the guy. It did get wet.

Cheers

Jan

Another example of SSS flexibility: The Skippers Meeting was held outside last night at the Encinal Yacht Club. In the dark. No food. $10 all the beer you could drink. No SSS RC representation in Drakes Bay, but WAIT! Who is that front and center? Why, it's Rob MacFarlane with his mothership, Tiger Beetle, down from the Pacific Northwest. He and Kristen will be aboard Tiger Beetle in Drakes Bay when we arrive, so everything is copacetic. Almost like Hanalei Bay again.

Name:  Drakes Bay Skippers meeting.JPG
Views: 2033
Size:  251.8 KB

Inquiring minds want to know....how was Drakes Bay?