Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSS races during shelter in place

Default SSS races during shelter in place

Have we considered to make the Round the Rocks a Singlehanded only race to comply with the shelter in place vs. cancelling?

Works for me. To avoid gathering a committee, each division could designate a "rabbit" and then we'd take our own finish times. Actually, this would be awesome.

The problem is we'd be racing without an event permit and the fines could be substantial. If he has nothing better to do, perhaps our new race chair could inquire of the USCG about whether they would issue a permit under these circumstances.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-24-2020 at 12:24 PM.

If it were single handers and I imagine the count would be low and we could easily have a committee of 1 with a video camera, no?

Christine and I were talking about something like this only not affiliated with the SSS. 1 person on the Richmond YC race platform for RC (With RYC approval of course) for the starts and finish. Everyone keeps their 6 ft distance at the docks and no socializing afterwards. But not an official "race."

Why couldn't it be official. We are not with anyone else, neither is the RC. Heck, if people are out walking, w/dogs multi-x times a day, cycling, etc. for exercise and health we should be able to do the same.

If it could that would be great. Getting a permit may be a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Everyone keeps their 6 ft distance at the docks"
    I went to RYC last week to get my boom and bring home to rework the outhaul. Even though I stayed by my boat alone in the Dry Storage yard, I was check on at a distance twice. Big Brother is watching.

I was check on at a distance twice
    Check on? By whom, the police?

It WOULD be good to know if the race is going to be cancelled, or made "singlehanded-only", ASAP.

I would show up for a "rabbit-start", all-singlehanded..."take-your-own-time".. uhhh... "gathering" if the official event is cancelled. I'd even tabulate the results and put them here.
    Last edited by AlanH; 03-25-2020 at 08:39 AM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Check on? By whom, the police?
    Club employees. I think both were a combination of; are your here for an Essential Activity per CC Heath Services and RYC directive 3/17. And, is that stuff you are loading in your car really yours?

I just think the club has been put in a tough position to serve the members and also abide by the CC Heath Services order by monitoring activity on the club grounds.