Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seminars

Default Seminars

Saw Ryan Nelson today at Berkeley Marine Center. He agreed to come do his very fine rigging presentation again.

Default Do You Plan to Race to Kauai in 2020?

Putting the seminars together today: the dates for next year's SSS races are almost firmed up and will be posted soon. Very soon. Maybe even sooner than that. Mebee not.

Questions for those who intend to do the 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Race to Hanalei Bay:

1. Where would you prefer to attend the seminars? Would you complain if they continue to be at Oakland Yacht Club? If so, do you have a constructive alternative (i.e., are you willing to host an evening at your club? Because we are a nimble, if chaotic club and willing to consider options).

2. Attached is a seminar poster from 2018. Please peruse it and consider which are the crucial topics for you. You are invited to make suggestions but, again, please be constructive (willing to do something yourself).

3. Wednesday evenings are traditional. People remember that Wednesday evenings are when seminars have typically been offered. Wednesdays are not the only option.

Okay, now is the time for you to Commit. In public. You can always change your mind. Circumstances change. DO YOU PLAN TO RACE TO KAUAI IN 2020? Please post here.

2018 Seminar Poster.pdf
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-09-2019 at 10:24 AM.

1. Where would you prefer to attend the seminars?
    Anywhere in Alameda..... on Wednesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Anywhere in Alameda..... on Wednesdays.
    So old school.

Yes, Hedgehog and i plan to be racing in 2020...
    My life is built around Alameda in that I live in west Oaktown and work on the island, so well, yeah, I'm biased. and Old School.
    Wednesday's are good by me...
    DH

Wednesday's work. So the Buffalo is going..
    Where do I send the entry check - and how much?

Working thru my prep punch list... being a repeat offender feel pretty lucky... relatively short list. Just bought a cheap lightweight inflatable kayak for ferrying me, fuel and return crew back and forth in Hanalei. Debating upgrading my emergency power generator... seeing nice small more powerful and lighter weight generators in home depot.

Default 2. Jim Quanci on Green Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    So the Buffalo is going.
    Name:  bison-1171794__480.jpg
Views: 3848
Size:  73.9 KB

If anyone wants a walk thru weather routing (with and without routing software like Expedition) and the sort, happy to give a talk.

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    If anyone wants a walk thru weather routing (with and without routing software like Expedition) and the sort, happy to give a talk.
    I wouldn't mind ... Happy to share what I used ...

Default November 13: Introduction to the race

Here is a heads up for the 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race seminar series, additional topics and dates to follow once the 2020 YRA Master Calendar comes out.

David Herrigel (s/v Hedgehog) and Bob Johnston (s/v Surprise!) have agreed to share responsibilities for the first seminar, the introduction to the RACE. David won the 2016 race and Bob has done it twice, served as Race Chair after that.

They will bring and discuss Race Required equipment and anything else they thought useful during their races. If you have questions ahead of time, post here so they might be able to address your particular concerns on that night. Post anything here, anyway. This will be YOUR race.

The Introduction To The Race seminar will be held in the Regatta Room of the Oakland Yacht Club in Alameda on Wednesday November 13, 2019 from 7:30-9:30 pm

And, just so you know, the next seminar after the Intro will be at the same place, on December 11, topic to be determined, probably Power requirements and discussion.