Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Handed TransPacific Race 2020 - Planning - Volunteers Sought

Default Single Handed TransPacific Race 2020 - Planning - Volunteers Sought

Hello All,

Tentative dates for the race are a start date on or near July 3. I am making arrangements for the "Yellow" beach house once again and need to secure a reservation now.

The house will be open for business starting July 10th, late in the day through the 25th. We can tweak the start date / time a bit as needed. Likely the start would be on Friday, July 3 to avoid a weekend conflict at the Corinthian YC.

Volunteers for event are welcome to comment here or contact me directly. Our past team has been great but I fear some may want a break from the work load.

Areas where help is needed:

Pre race event planning. Hawaii and Calif.
    Inspection coordinator.
    Inspectors.
    Communications coordinator (tracker setup and assignment).
    USCG interface. Publish float plan and gain permit from USCG.
    Day of race PRO and start team.
    Weather services coordinator.
    Finish line management - two people.
    Crash boat coordinator / driver
    Finish line set up.
    Hawaii ship to shore communications organization.
    Press liaison and web page coordination.

Regards,

Brian

I'm happy to play inspector for So Cal entries, should there be any.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Happy to help with inspection. What is a "Weather services coordinator"?

Brian - My first thought is Friday is not a good day to start the race, or any ocean passage. There are some serious superstitions involved. Be that as it may, Patty and I plan to be in Hanalei the week that the boats arrive and are available to help the SSS in any way we can to welcome the racers. So put us on your list anywhere that is most beneficial.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37

Great Lee. I will keep you posted.

Brian

A weather services coordinator is someone who would work with a commercial weather service that may , or may not, volunteer to provide a prediction for the event prior to the start and provide a daily update to that prediction. This would typically be placed on the forum and the FB page for public consumption. WRI has provided these services in the past at no cost to the club. Someone needs to manage the data flow to the web pages.

BB

Friday is a day of superstitions ? News to me. Friday isn't sacred, but Saturday is a problem. The YC harbor fills up with Classic Yachts starting on Friday, typically, but since the club members have made room for the CLassic wood boats the week prior that gives us room to stage the race boats 24 hours in advance of the start. We have to leave by noon on Friday, hence the probable timing of the start. The other consideration is the tides. We often will adjust the time to make that close to ideal.

BB

Bill,

Nice to hear you will be there. I will count you in on arrival assistance. I bet you can handle a 15' skiff with inflated tubes on the side ? You, or Patty, might be asked to do some boat greeting during the crunch period.

Regards,

BB

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Friday is a day of superstitions ? News to me. Friday isn't sacred, but Saturday is a problem. The YC harbor fills up with Classic Yachts starting on Friday, typically, but since the club members have made room for the CLassic wood boats the week prior that gives us room to stage the race boats 24 hours in advance of the start. We have to leave by noon on Friday, hence the probable timing of the start. The other consideration is the tides. We often will adjust the time to make that close to ideal.

BB
    Starting Voyages on a Friday really is is a "thing", as the kids say.
    I Understand the politics with Corinthian, and I'm glad to see the wooden boat festival is evidently growing.
    Heretofore (for at least the past 4 editions), the Wooden Boats would arrive Saturday afternoon, and we would need to be out of the harbor at a seemingly earlier hour each time.
    So now, evidently, Corinthian is carving out another day for them.

As much as I understand the balancing act, losing the Saturday start sucks.
    apart from disrupting SHTP traditions, and superstitions aside, Friday is also very poor for local spouses, friends & SSS supporters.

just my .02.
    DH

Nice to hear you will be there. I will count you in on arrival assistance. I bet you can handle a 15' skiff with inflated tubes on the side ? You, or Patty, might be asked to do some boat greeting during the crunch period.
    Guess we better pack an alarm clock for those 3am arrivals. Happy to help any way we can.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37