Thread: Seminars

Default Seminars

Saw Ryan Nelson today at Berkeley Marine Center. He agreed to come do his very fine rigging presentation again.

Here's my proposal:

Seminar: SHTP Over-view; with emphasis on issues facing first-timers and So-Cal sailors getting boats to SF Bay.
    Date/time: Saturday, November 23, 2019, 1400 to 1700 UTC-7
    Admission: Free

Target audience is not only those thinking about SHTP, but also Pac Cup or any other passage to Hawaii.

I will do the leg-work to get this done. I have the banquet room at Silver Gate reserved for this date and time. Well provide light refreshments and a cash bar. The room will have AV set up, and with some help I'm sure we can web-cast the presentation. What I ask of SSS: (1) Allow us to call this a SSS seminar; (2) have someone up there create the PDF flyer we can use for publicity; (3) commit that at least one SSS officer or member of the SHTP RC will attend in person. I will try to get one or more So Cal vets of the race to talk about getting boats from So Cal to SF; I can talk about rookie mistakes and lessons learned; then with at least one other presenter from SSS to talk about big-picture issues and perspectives, we'll have the agenda. And SGYC is nestled among 4 resort hotels on San Diegos Shelter Island, 5 minutes from the airport, so I think it might be an appealing venue for an SSS event.

Name:  clubhouseatnight.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  43.5 KB

If I can get the support of SSS I am requesting, especially item # 3, and any indication that some of you folks might attend, I'll make this happen.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32