Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Seminars

Will the seminars be recorded and posted somewhere for those who can't get to Alameda on a weekday? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jyriv View Post
    Will the seminars be recorded and posted somewhere for those who can't get to Alameda on a weekday? Thanks!
    Whew! If you think it's hard to get there now, wait'll they start building that A's stadium @ Howard Terminal.

Yes, JYRIV, the seminars will be recorded and posted within a day or two afterward. If you want to call to ask questions, we'll post someone's phone number and hope that person keeps his/her phone on during the meeting. Please pm me ahead of time with your name/phone number so we won't ignore you as an "Unknown caller".

Default December 11 Seminar: Power issues and Small Boat Considerations

This seminar will also be at the Oakland Yacht Club @ 7:30pm

Chris Case s/v FUGU will discuss power requirements for the race and types of communications: how to power your lights, autopilots, radios, various gadgets, your big screen tv and refrigerator/freezer.

George Lythcott s/v TAZ! and Joe Balderamma s/v Archimedes, will discuss issues unique to leetle boats: Keeping yourself warm, dry and fed.

These fellas are all Race Veterans and strong, fine singlehanders. How do I persuade them to prepare coherent talks, drive to Alameda during rush hour and stand up in front of a crowded room full of people? I wait until they've had a few beers at the bar after the Vallejo One, then pounce!
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.

I am interested in the SHTP 2020 and planning on coming up to the first seminar. With the seminars on Wednesday my first question is pretty basic. I will have to fly up and won't be able to fly out until Thursday. Recommendation on a hotel for the night?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    This seminar will also be at the Oakland Yacht Club @ 7:30pm

Chris Case s/v FUGU will discuss power requirements for the race and types of communications: how to power your lights, autopilots, radios, various gadgets, your big screen tv and refrigerator/freezer.

George Lythcott s/v TAZ! and Joe Balderamma s/v Archimedes, will discuss issues unique to leetle boats: Keeping yourself warm, dry and fed.

These fellas are all Race Veterans and strong, fine singlehanders. How do I persuade them to prepare coherent talks, drive to Alameda during rush hour and stand up in front of a crowded room full of people? I wait until they've had a few beers at the bar after the Vallejo One, then pounce!
    Hi Jackie -

strikes me that the seminars are a little bit of the cart-before-the-horse. The SSS home page (https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/) has a link in the horizontal top menu to the cryptically-named 'SHTP 2020' page that has zero information. There is no reference to seminars, no reference to the race, no nothing. The SSS calendar does not mention such as a race.

It might be worthwhile to get organized and present a unified set of data to the world: the NOR, an explanation of what the race is, and a list of seminars.

Listing a random seminar in an 'un-official' SSS forum, while worthwhile, falls short of getting the word out about the race or the seminars. There is definitely room for improvement.

Perhaps this is a discussion for the SSS board and 2020 SSS TransPac race chair(s) and organizers, such that there can be published calendar, etc. going in to the race?

- rob/beetle

Yes Rob, you are addressing that to the wrong person.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Yes Rob, you are addressing that to the wrong person.
    Hi Bob -

Whom would the correct person be?

- rob

Quote Originally Posted by NearMiss View Post
    I am interested in the SHTP 2020 and planning on coming up to the first seminar. With the seminars on Wednesday my first question is pretty basic. I will have to fly up and won't be able to fly out until Thursday. Recommendation on a hotel for the night?
    The Marina Village Inn is right next door to the Oakland YC so is the most convenient - if rather modest.

Bill
    Dolfin, Crealock 37

Default Seminar Series through January 2020

Additional seminar topics will be added to this poster once the YRA Master Calendar is published.

2020 Seminar Poster through Jan.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Hi Jackie -

strikes me that the seminars are a little bit of the cart-before-the-horse.

The SSS home page (https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/) has a link in the horizontal top menu to the cryptically-named 'SHTP 2020' page that has zero information.

There is no reference to seminars, no reference to the race, no nothing. The SSS calendar does not mention such as a race.

It might be worthwhile to get organized and present a unified set of data to the world: the NOR, an explanation of what the race is, and a list of seminars.

Listing a random seminar in an 'un-official' SSS forum, while worthwhile, falls short of getting the word out about the race or the seminars. There is definitely room for improvement.

Perhaps this is a discussion for the SSS board and 2020 SSS TransPac race chair(s) and organizers, such that there can be published calendar, etc. going in to the race?

- rob/beetle
    I couldn't believe this, so I went and looked.

There is NOTHING there...nothing on the SSS Website about the 2020 SHTP. It's 7 months away.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"