Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Seminars

Default The Return Trip: Video One of Two

here ya go, Tom!

https://vimeo.com/395358956

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Thank you Jackie! I've shared your link in the Ericson Yachts forum. A number of people there are interested in the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by vilhauer View Post
    Thank you Jackie! I've shared your link in the Ericson Yachts forum. A number of people there are interested in the topic.
    Glad to hear it is useful. Ericsons are such pretty boats. Curvy.

I mentioned to somebody recently that one of the reasons I sold Ragtime! was that after 16 years, I was hankerin' to do up another boat.

What was I thinking?

Name:  2006 List.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  1.03 MB

Default Seminar: Rigging and Sailplan for the 2020 SHTP

Wednesday night March 11, 2020 the Singlehanded Sailing Society will offer a seminar on Rigging and Sailplan for the 2020 SHTP. You are welcome to join us downstairs at the Oakland Yacht Club @ 7:30 pm.

Name:  Ryan Nelson.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  43.1 KB

Ryan Nelson of Rogue Rigging (the “rogue rigger” himself) will advise us again, as he did so brilliantly before, in 2018. He is, after all, a sailor himself who knows what singlehanders need. What is that? Well, that’s what you will learn Wednesday night.

Also

Who hasn’t heard of Dave Hodges?

If you’re neither a sailor nor a boat builder, maybe you’ve never heard of him.

If you don’t work in the marine industry or live near boats, maybe you’ve never heard of him.

If you’ve never listened in on a conversation between sailors, maybe you’ve never heard of him.

Otherwise, if you have spent any time around sailors who need sails for their boats, you’ve heard of Dave Hodges. And guess what? He has agreed to come talk with us Wednesday night. And why? Because he’s sailing with us again and … our former Commodore David Herrigel asked him. Yes. That is what sailing networks do. They work with each other.

So, come on over. Listen up and ask all your questions. Because this is quite the opportunity. See you there.

Default The Return Trip: Video Two of Two

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Is the seminar still happening tonight with all the coronavirus closures?

Thanks,

Tom

Default Yes there will be a seminar tonight

Quote Originally Posted by vilhauer View Post
    Is the seminar still happening tonight with all the coronavirus closures? Thanks,Tom
    Absolutely.

Drove to Dura Mater yesterday, self distancing myself in my car. Then I arrived to see Bob’s car in the parking lot. I dropped my sailbag off at DM and continued on down E Dock to Surprise! Found Bob with box cutter in hand, ready to unpack his brand new, gleaming white alternator. Not just an alternator, but one way better than DM’s. Three times mo betta. Which Bob emphasized. Oh well. This is what one has come to expect: Surprise! is so pampered!

I was invited aboard but there was no enthusiasm. I thought maybe he was keenly aware of the whole social distancing effect, but it turns out I was sitting on the steps, which need to be removed in order to access the engine. So I left.

Upon thinking about this whole social distancing issue, I suppose that the Medical Preparation and Provisioning seminar should be reconsidered. Especially since Jan Hirsch has already asked whether he could do the Medical presentation remotely. Which is a nice way of saying that he doesn’t want to come in person, and not just because he lives far away. So I replied in a fake gracious way and that’s what we’re going to do.

Jan is an anesthesiologist, which means he is the last person to talk with a patient before sending him/her under the knife. So I suppose I see his point. For the patients anyway. Plus it offered me the opportunity to look up how to spell anesthesiologist, and now you, too, know how it is spelled. With all seven syllables.

What will we do about provisioning? We’ll have to cram it in some other time. In the meantime, make an appointment with your primary care provider in order to get any prescriptions you may need, and read here:

From Allen Cooper s/v Krissy
    https://www.sfbaysss.org/resource/do...dical_2014.pdf

and Doctor Mike from 2012
    https://www.sfbaysss.org/resource/do...-note-2012.pdf

While you’re at it, click here and read anything else you might find useful:
    https://www.sfbaysss.org/main/resources/#seminar

In the meantime, I’ll post Dr Hirsch’s presentation here on the forum and you can thank him sometime when you see him on his Islander, “rassling” with that huge 180 jib of his.

Until further notice, take care of yourselves and practice safety precautions by singlehanding.

I made NO comparative remarks about DM's alternator. Yes, you were in the way, but we had a nice long chat before I pointed that out. I think you're just sore because I had no chocolate to offer.

Kaiser has been holding a Bactrim prescription and some Scopalomine patches for me. I should have picked them up before all hell broke loose. Now I don't want to go near the place.