Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Seminars

Love it!!

I've got Mirthmaker the A35 to come and race as the Azzura's mast is in my driveway. I'll bring another few examples as well to share.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I've got Mirthmaker the A35 to come and race as the Azzura's mast is in my driveway. I'll bring another few examples as well to share.
    Name:  ER.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  257.9 KB

Hey Greg,

Cool ER. Would a simple wood cross bar linking the tillers and fitted with a pin for an AP be possible? If so, you could continue racing SHTP with this rig, and not lose a mile. That is certainly a requirement I'd suggest and looks like you've solved.

This emergency rudder was built for crewed and doublehanded racing so an autopilot was not in the design brief. The Azzura and others I've built usually have a provision for autopilot use. Of course this could be adapted but this boat has a below deck quadrant autopilot so it would take a lot with an additional ram to make it happen above deck. It is certainly not just a "get you there" solution but the real factor in keeping the speed up is whether the main rudder cold be jettisoned completely or is it still in place, cocked off centerline, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    This emergency rudder was built for crewed and doublehanded racing so an autopilot was not in the design brief. The Azzura and others I've built usually have a provision for autopilot use. Of course this could be adapted but this boat has a below deck quadrant autopilot so it would take a lot with an additional ram to make it happen above deck. It is certainly not just a "get you there" solution but the real factor in keeping the speed up is whether the main rudder cold be jettisoned completely or is it still in place, cocked off centerline, etc.
    If sailing solo and the main rudder is bent or compromised, etc., all the more reason to have a pounding plug and mallet to jettison the main rudder (after stopping boat and removing quadrant). Then you could use the ER and a cheapo AP and be off to the races with the ER.

If loss of the main rudder rips a hole in the underbody, ala OEX, then its time to wish you'd fitted a water tight bulkhead in front of the rudder.

With the current speed of small boats going 15-20 if you sneeze, and the size of the floating obstructions in the EPAC, this bulkhead is not an idea to be sniffed at. I saw a 6 foot diameter, 80 foot log two lengths to leeward on my last crossing. Doggies.
    Last edited by sleddog; 01-02-2020 at 11:21 AM.

Yes, a rudder bulkhead is nice to have. Luckily for my piece of mind the Azzura has a 7ft forward watertight compartment.

Default On-The-Water Emergency Rudder Seminar: January 11, 2019

If you plan to come to the On-The-Water Emergency Rudder Seminar at the Richmond Yacht Club this Saturday, January 11, that's terrific! If you are coming by landyacht, come a bit early to catch a ride on someone's boat. If you are sailing over, don't forget to call Tim the harbormaster. He is expecting 8-10 boats, and needs to plan where to put everyone. The details are in the NOR, which can be found here:

NOR Emergency Rudder Race - Copy.pdf

Post any questions here. See you Saturday.

Hi Jackie et al. -

What is the estimated finish time for the 3.25mile race starting at noon? (What would be a good time to show up at the RYC to learn from participants if we aren't bringing our own boats to the race?)

Thank you in advance!

Does anyone have a start time for the emergency rudder race at RYC?

From the "NOR" above (post #57):

STARTING TIMES AND SIGNALS
    The first Warning signal will be at 11:55 am.
    Thereafter, all classes will start at the following
    intervals, no flags will be used.

to be less obtuse, High Noon for all classes.

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 01-08-2020 at 12:59 PM.