Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Seminars

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    I've got Mirthmaker the A35 to come and race as the Azzura's mast is in my driveway. I'll bring another few examples as well to share.
    I hope you bring all of that, if for no other reason than for the earthshattering contrast between the strong, light stuff you build and the buffalo-built stuff I churn out.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by vilhauer View Post
    Hi Jackie et al. - What is the estimated finish time for the 3.25mile race starting at noon? (What would be a good time to show up at the RYC to learn from participants if we aren't bringing our own boats to the race?) Thank you in advance!
    Hi, Vilhauer
    What is your first name? It'll be good to put names (or forum names, anyway) to faces on Saturday. Regarding finish times: I am sorry, but I just don't know the answer to that. We've only done this once before, in the lead up to the 2018 SHTP.

Only three boats participated back then, none of them finished and then it started sprinkling. After videotaping the (ahem) racers' efforts my driver and I wandered off, raised the spinnaker and followed that around the bay for awhile. First there was a strong ebb then the wind changed 360 degrees We doused the spinnaker once it started to rain. When we returned to the dock we wandered around for awhile looking for everybody else, and found 'em all squashed into Don Martin's Wileycat eating guacamole, doritos and Burger King two/$5 burgers (thank you, Bob).

I'd keep my eye on E Dock boats (FUGU, Surprise!) and/or the end of D Dock, as Sea Wisdom will probably be tied up to the end there. Bring good food or beer and we'll find YOU. Remember, doritos are not food. Welcome to the SSS.

Tom V, you are welcome to join us on Surprise! and help us tame the Kraken.

Forgive the obvious but layer up, bring a PFD (although I have extras) and as suggested above, you'll want your own food.

We'll push off at 1130 (slip E-75) and will hope to be back in time for the 3BF.

A couple quick pics from yesterday, while waiting for the Cecil B. DeMille version to be released:

Fugu was getting along nicely with her e-rudder:

Name:  Fugu E-Rud.JPG
Views: 1095
Size:  635.5 KB

After determining that we wouldn't get out of Potrero Reach (mostly upwind) dragging the Kraken, Alan H and I enjoyed the sail:

Name:  Alan H Surprise!.JPG
Views: 1021
Size:  708.1 KB

Nice shot of Chris and Fugu! That's perfect, as here are a bunch of photos of Chris and his setup, at the dock.

Here's Fugu's transom, showing the brackets for the rudder support framework, and how they line up with the outboard motor bracket frame. The motor bracket had gotten a little wonky in the frame, and it took three of us to get it out...a little lesson learned! Note that one e-rud bracket is in the shadow of the oubtoard motor mount.

Name:  FuguTransom-sm.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  166.3 KB

Assembling blade / framework on the dock.

Name:  IMG_1920-sm.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  192.0 KB

The lower gudgeon seems to be J-29 size, more or less...the upper one is one "size" smaller. Here you can see how two s.s. bolts server as pins, and how it's assembled.

Name:  IMG_1922-sm.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  216.5 KB

Chris, standing next to the rudder, showing you how big it is. Chris told me that he picked up the rudder for $100 at Blue Pelican. He looked it over and decided that it probably wasn't strong enough, so he got enough carbon fiber for two layers over the whole rudder and beefed it up. That was about another $100. He says the whole assembly is about 20 pounds.

Name:  IMG_1923-sm.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  236.6 KB

Rudders don't have to be straight! Chris's is angled up so it reaches over the back of the transom and into the cockpit.

Name:  IMG_1925-sm.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  205.3 KB

Now go look at the picture that Bob just uploaded, above to see the rudder mounted, and in action...

It was great to finally meet many of you in person yesterday at the E-Rudder race. Many thanks to Jackie for organizing this. Really enjoyed spending the time with the SSS sailors and learning from you. Also, thanks for helping me debug the salt water leak issue. Here is what I found out this morning:

1) Water comes in when motoring in gear. I ran the motor in neutral gear, everything was fine. So we know it’s not the engine leaking salt water.
    2) Water was coming in from aft of the aft fuel tank. There is a conduit below the aft fuel tank. Water was coming in from that direction.
    3) There was so much water coming in the bilge lump was barely keeping up with it.
    4) I slept on the boat on Saturday night, the bilge pump didn’t kick in. So we know the boat is not leaking salt water from one of the seacocks.
    5) Water also comes in when I was sailing at 6 to 8 knots and I have the gear locked in reverse to engage the Max Prop.

Many of you suspected it was the shaft seal yesterday. I think there is a high chance that is the case. There was so much water coming in this morning when I was motoring back to StFYC, I turned around at outside of the channel breakwater and headed to KKMI. I will let you know what they find.

-Will
    Last edited by seawisdom; 01-12-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Releasing the Kraken went fine, it was using it that wasn't so good.

Here's Surprise! with Bob's extra spinnaker pole....which he never uses.....set up to provide leverage points near the center of the boat.

Name:  IMG_1933-sm.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  200.2 KB

Drogue control lines...the "bridle" went forward to blocks in the pole ends, and then back to the cockpit winches.

Name:  IMG_1936-sm.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  218.5 KB

Bob, on Surprise! 's aft deck, setting up the bridle and drogue towing line. There's about 20 feet of chain in front of the fabric bucket drogue which you can see at Bob's feet.

Name:  IMG_1937-sm.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  185.6 KB

The two bridle lines...port and starboard, tied to a single towing line, about 50 feet long??? ...which shackled to maybe 20 feet of chain to keep the drogue in the water. Deployment was fine, but we were not able to bring Surprise! up high enough to sail to windward to get out of the Potrero Reach. When Bob turned on the engine to keep us off the breakwater, I warned him about lines in the prop so we just used it for long enough to point the boat the other way...only to find that the port line had gotten jammed in the rudder. Initially, I couldn't move the rudder at all, though that eased up in a minute. After pulling the drogue and towing line and chain on board, that somehow...happily....free'd itself and we went for a nice sail out to Southampton Shoal and up to the Sugar Dock.
    Last edited by AlanH; 01-12-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Sea Wisdom sure is pretty....even with water getting into the bilge. I hope you get it fixed, Will! It was nice to meet you!

Name:  IMG_1938-sm.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  107.4 KB

Thanks Alan! Also thanks for tasting my bilge water and helping me debug the system.