Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Hedgehog

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alameda CA
    Posts
    375

    Default Hedgehog

    Hedgehog is my new Olson 29... well not really new at this point, even to me.
    I've had the boat since early 2018, but didn't get serious about working it up until last October or so.

    As is my want, the recommissioning has been pretty extensive; new running rigging, mostly new standing rigging, new rudder and bearings, new sails, new electronics (well, some are repurposed from Domino)...
    Also as usual, this has all taken far more time than anticipated...

    BUT its finally there...
    don't get me wrong, I always have a list.
    but mostly, the project phase is done and it's time to go sailing!

    I'm probably the worst blogger ever, and am generally averse to the current culture of "oversharing" on social media, but I'll use this thread to post occasional updates about our adventures...

    Oh yeah, about the name... my last name Herrigel, literally translated from German; Herr=Mr.; Igel= Hedgehog.
    So there you go.

    DH

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alameda CA
    Posts
    375

    Default Solo Shakedown run / Hedgehog homecoming

    So, I’ve been looking for some time to get out and test things on the ocean, try out the (finally) completed rudder and bearings, and generally get some training and practice in, particularly with the kite up, in some decent pressure, and playing with the AP.

    Scheduling and weather came together this weekend for a Solo run to Santa Cruz, Hedgehog's Birthplace.

    Nothing much was happening wind wise on Saturday, so I chose to motor sail around to HMB (yes, we were just there…). A late start caused me to miss the ebb, and I didn’t get in to HMB until about 9pm. For reference, I have to say this is one tricky entrance to negotiate at night, mostly because all the lights ashore make it hard to track the channel markers (now where did that (*&%* red light go… oh there it is… no wait, that’s a brake light!, etc)…kept a weather eye on the chartplotter through the companionway, and only scared myself a little bit.
    Managed to talk the staff at the HMB brewing company into making one last fish and chips, and then got some sleep…

    Sunday the gribs looked much better, and after motoring out a bit, I found the predicted NNW 8-10 knots, that built to a pretty solid 10-12. I started with the S4, my heavy kite, as I knew things would ramp up later in the day… which is exactly what happened.
    Got a solid few hours of playing around with various settings and angles. Relearned that in the lighter breeze it’s better to sail hot angles and gybe that to go slow but with the wind farther behind you. This is much truer with Hedgehog than Domino, simply because the O29 accelerates much more readily. At lower speeds, I also found the AP likes this better as well, and doesn’t wander about as much; turning down the gain (so as it’s not as sensitive to the gyro) also helps.

    As I got further south, I emerged from the fog, & the wind freshened to a solid 12-15.
    I played around with the AP settings some more, and found what the boat and sea state seemed to like. Interesting observation… I found that over 13 knots or so, the boat breaks out and accelerates to the point where I was sailing ~160 TWA and trimming for ~100-110 AWA.
    This is the point where things got really fun! Beautiful Sunny Day on the ocean with the coast 5 miles to my left, Boat speed hovering at a solid 9.5 knots, the Kite up and the AP driving with minimal tiller movement… a nice clean wake straight out behind me. Like I said, I got what I came for!

    As things progressed, the breeze built some more, to about 18-20, the seas built up a bit, and we began to surf.
    I decided I was out there to practice, so I tossed in about 4 gybes. No real issues, using the main first approach… weeeeeeeeee…

    After a few zig zags, I decided on one last gybe out, to make sure I avoided the kelp at SC…sometime after that, the wind machine found an extra gear and ramped up to 24-26. By this point we were really moving with a baseline boat speed between 10 &11 knots. The AP was still behaving, and was doing a good job of sensing the stern lift as a wave approached, anticipating the wave and compensating to initiate the surf. Surfing, we topped out at 14.7 SOG.

    We were also fast closing on the point where I would need to gybe back to fetch my waypoint into Santa Cruz. This is where enthusiasm, hubris, and the knowledge that this was practice got the better of my judgement…. I thought long and hard, and even though I knew the safest option (and the one I would choose every time when far from land) would be to douse and reset (or in this case jib reach into Santa Cruz), like the dumbass I am I talked myself into one more Gybe.

    It did not work out.

    I got everything set, eased the sheet to the forestay, turned down to 180 AWA just fine, pre-eased the vang… but the act of gybing the main was to much for the AP. Main loaded up as it came across, technically the boat rounded up, but since the pole was on the same side as the main it planted in the water, the same as if I had rounded down… I blew off the topping lift, but as the boat was still moving forward the force on the pole bent the pole fitting where it attached to the mast.
    Made a pretty ugly sound when it did so.

    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 6.15.24 PM.png
Views: 626
Size:  939.8 KB

    So, quickly shift to recovery mode… first step was to strip the pole and get it secured. By the time I did that, the kite had wrapped the fore stay in about 3 different places, so the only thing I could to was pull it down. Having seen this movie before, I remembered enough to grab a couple of sail ties before blowing the halyard, moving forward and hauling the nylon down into a big pile that I then tied down. I made a couple of desultory efforts at unwrapping it, but, well, the harbor was only ten miles away, and I was still scooting along at about 8 knots with just the main up…

    So that’s pretty much the story… all in all, a good training run!
    I got to play around with sailing the boat in breeze, on the ocean, with the kite up and the AP driving, which was the primary objective. And everything worked!
    I also got to relearn a lesson in risk management and mitigation… eg I found a limit past which I should not push things when far from support… I’m well aware that I was very lucky to only break a $200 pole fitting.

    Boat is now in Santa Cruz, I plan to sail up Thursday, when conveniently we’ve a forecast Southerly surge… 2018 SHTP participants will recognize the grib below….
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 5.49.36 PM.png
Views: 622
Size:  939.4 KB

    DH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveH; 09-23-2019 at 06:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alameda CA
    Posts
    375

    Default

    A lot of folks have been asking for updates on Hedgehog after our unfortunate Corinthian race.
    Warning, the following pictures are not for the faint of heart!

    So, after getting Hedgehog back to the slip at RYC last Saturday, I returned Sunday and took the most of the gear off the boat. Synthia had already scheduled a fitting for my new mainsail cover; she came early and helped shift gear and get the boat to the hoist at Brickyard Cove, where I conveniently have Hedgehog’s trailer. She had to split before I could pull the boat, so once the hoist was free I pulled the boat for the big reveal. As feared, what couldn't be seen with the boat in the water was some pretty extensive damage. Or, as Rufus later said, you really did a f***ing number on it.
    Attachment 5185


    As you can see, the forward portion of the boat is pretty beat up, with a lot of glass showing, particularly at the stem.


    The good news is that while the bottom of the keel is pretty worked over, there is no evident cracking at the keel root, and the bolts are solid. Also, there is no evidence that any of the tabbing or keel bed inside are compromised, so we got lucky there.
    Also lucky that the rudder stayed in deep water, so apart from the damage to the cockpit bridge (which holds the top bearing) caused by the tow off the rocks, the rudder is not involved.

    The bottom line is that while it will take a lot of digging, sanding, resin and paint, so far everyone who’s looked at the job has pronounced it repairable.

    Currently waiting on the insurance adjuster to arrive (now scheduled for Wednesday AM) and evaluate; so I can begin the work.
    The likely hood is they will declare it a Constructive Total Loss, based on the estimates I’ve received so far, but once we are over that hurdle, we can get down to pulling the rig and getting the boat into the shed.
    TBD how long this will all take, but it seems like the realistic scenario is between the middle and end of April.

    From there, I'm formulating plans to get back on track for SHTP 2020.
    Apart from the not insignificant amount of lost practice time, & the unexpected pocket book hit, any hope of a pleasant weather window for my qualifier is probably gone by that point.
    More to come on that as things develop.

    DH

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    From there, I'm formulating plans to get back on track for SHTP 2020.
    Apart from the not insignificant amount of lost practice time, & the unexpected pocket book hit, any hope of a pleasant weather window for my qualifier is probably gone by that point.
    More to come on that as things develop.

    DH
    David, I would think the SHTP committee might give you a waiver on any kind of "qualifier". If memory serves me right, you won the last SHTP you entered and your qualifications are beyond question. All the best on making it to the starting line for 2020 and hope to see you in Hanalei.

    Bill Meanley,
    Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    That sounds promising given the circumstances. Except the money part, of course.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alameda CA
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Thanks for the kind words and the vote of confidence Bill, but that's simply not the way I roll.

    In the first place, it's hardly fair to my fellow competitors; secondly, the rule is there for very good reasons.
    Yes, I'm confident in my abilities and have no doubts about making it to Kauai in Hedgehog.
    That said, if the past days have proved nothing else, it's that bad shit can happen to good people, and I can't bear the thought of the position the club and committee would be put in if they were to bend the rules for me and something (else) went sideways.

    Thanks for the thoughts, but I'll find a way to get it done the right way.

    Looking forward to seeing you in Hanalei!

    DH

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Capitola,CA
    Posts
    2,177

    Default

    +1

    Well spoken, good Sir.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    In the first place, it's hardly fair to my fellow competitors; secondly, the rule is there for very good reasons.
    DH
    Dave, You are right of course. Why would we expect anything less? All the best in your preparations for the SHTP and passage to Hanalei.

    Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,062

    Default

    Interesting perspective from this article, particularly the comment about the J105:

    https://www.moore24.org/blog/2020/3/...hJgz-nSoJwAuM0

    There's no mention of how the singlehanders must be especially challenged in those conditions. Instead there's this: "It was a ‘local distance race’ counter for the new class scoring format, so it drew out those vying for every high score then can get their hands on..."

    Karl Robrock (the writer) might, by process of elimination, be able to help Dave determine which Moore it was.
    .
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-12-2020 at 12:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,589

    Default

    That, right there, seems to be powerful incentive to me to just disallow SSS races from being used for season-counters in OD classes. If a Class wants to have a couple of shorthanded races, they can put 'em on, themselves.

    Or, possibly the SSS could decide to still accept the entry fees, but any OD class that has an SSS race as a season counter in the Class, races on a different course from the rest of the fleet.
    S-2 7.9: "Wildcat of Loch Awe"
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •