Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hedgehog

Sweet, congrats and happy days of sailing!

Dave, I am intrigued by you hatch splash cover. What’s the story on that if you don’t mind...Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Dave, I am intrigued by you hatch splash cover. What’s the story on that if you don’t mind...Rick
    Yeah, I want to hear, too. That's way sexy-lookin!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Congratulations, Mr. Hedgehog! Will celebrate your relaunch with a Dark and Stormy. And wish you many happy sailing adventures.

Least we forget, David on his Wilderness-30 DOMINO was overall winner of the 2016 SHTP after being forced out of the 2014 event with a broken rudder 150 miles off the Coast

In 2016, the O-30 KATO finished mid-morning July 14 and owed DOMINO 21 hours, 47 minutes. VENTOS followed KATO two hours later. Then came the O-29 NINA mid-afternoon spinnakering down the North Coast of Kauai on port jibe in fresh trades, pole on the headstay, and hauling the mail, never once spinning out.

The RC and friends were speculating at Tree Time, and into the evening. Could David get DOMINO home to Hanalei before time ran out at sunrise?

I was curious myself, and wandered out onto the Princeville Cliffs, 1/2 mile upwind of the finish at Puu Poa Pt., at oh-dark thirty, looking for DOMINO's masthead tricolor through binos. Nothing... I scanned the horizon for the next 30 minutes. Then spotted a red tail light of what looked like a car on the famous 7th hole of the Princeville Golf Course. It didn't immediately dawn on me I was looking at DOMINO's port masthead light as David was ghosting along the cliffs under spinnaker, making the best of the last of the dying breeze before sunrise.

DOMINO passed just below my cliff lookout, close enough I could have congratulated David on his impending win without shouting. But with only a short distance to go, I could see from the glow of his compass light that David was deep in concentration to get to the finish just ahead...so kept welcoming thoughts to myself, happy for my good friend after all the work and challenges he had overcome.
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-25-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks All!
    freshly back after the unfamiliar sensation of puttering on the boat! weeeeee!

Rick & Alan - the hard dodger is an interesting story... it started with a desire to have a dodger that I could see through, not to big, and hopefully would look OK and not too out of place on the boat.
    I'd successfully done this in canvass (not see-through) for Domino, which convinced me the dodger was a pretty important piece of offshore kit. Particularly for this size boat.
    This time, I wanted something slightly more substantial, and ideally something that could slide forward, if not collapse, for hatch douses.

Since I had the boat in Alameda, and was "around the shops" I spied a dodger for a Melges 32 that was close to the right dimensions in Panda's shop.
    We used that to pull a plug to make the basic shape, added a flange to fit in the existing tracks and adjusted various other dimensions until it looked right.
    Laid it up in carbon cloth with a foam filler, then vacuumed everything together.
    Name:  Olson 29 - 1 of 1.jpeg
Views: 1212
Size:  2.15 MB
    The see-through aspect is a piece of smoked Lexan cut to shape and heat bent, then bonded into the rabbeted slot cut into the cover.
    Name:  Olson 29 - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg
Views: 1252
Size:  2.33 MB
    Name:  Olson 29 - 4 of 6.jpeg
Views: 1189
Size:  2.13 MB

So that’s the dodger part… like most projects, there were some unintended knock on projects.
    Principally, once the original sliding cover was removed, what’s going to cover the 3sqft hole in the boat?
    What turned out to be a fairly elegant solution was to make a new cover from the inside of the old, split it in 2, and then use this with some nice camming latches to dog down from the inside… access from the exterior when all buttoned up is through the new inspection port in the companionway boards.
    This second part added a lot of time to the project, but I've now got a very solid and water tight hatch with a sliding dodger...
    Name:  Olson 29 - 5  of 6.jpeg
Views: 1160
Size:  2.42 MB
    Name:  Olson 29 - 6 of 6.jpeg
Views: 1261
Size:  2.21 MB

The hatch cover is certainly spectacular.

But, is there a tactical advantage to having two pelagic control heads. Maybe, you can always keep your weight on the best trim point?

How would two control heads get wired?

Ants

Redundant brains.

sliding hatch cover. ~Sliding~...sweet. Now, I'm starting to think if I could re-design
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    Redundant brains.
    actually, complete redundancy... 2 brains, 2 power modules, 2 rams. 2 mounts - Port and Starboard.
    one on-off-on 20 amp toggle switch on the AP power supply.

The fundamental intent is redundancy; In practice it allows one brain to be setup in Wind mode, the other in Compass mode, or different gain setting for different tacks/wave angle- but that is mostly a bonus.

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    actually, complete redundancy... 2 brains, 2 power modules, 2 rams. 2 mounts - Port and Starboard.
    one on-off-on 20 amp toggle switch on the AP power supply.

The fundamental intent is redundancy; In practice it allows one brain to be setup in Wind mode, the other in Compass mode, or different gain setting for different tacks/wave angle- but that is mostly a bonus.

DH
    Impressive!

I am glad I asked.

Ants