Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Hedgehog

Yes, this is very useful information, especially since it appeared to work very well. I have a new to me boat and have been shopping for a VHF. I put a masthead antenna and coax in when I had the mast out. I have become accustomed to running a boat with a full complement of electronics including Class B AIS. It’s fun, but do I really need anything more than a basic VHF at this point for how I plan to use this boat?

I decided to spend the added $ to buy a Standard Horizon GX2400 (newest model with internal GPS and AIS receive only). I was partly influenced by DH’s comment, “I also have the mic display from the radio in the cockpit, which is more convenient in practice.” The new GX2400 has the option of a wireless remote mic. I’m not sure I’ll go there, but it’s an attractive option. No connectors to break 😊.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    I assume the GX2150's AIS receiver provides a backup receiver in the event your SI-TEX+Zeus setup fails, but are there other advantages? Just debating if I should go with a non-AIS VHF and put those bucks toward other gear. Also wondering if there's any noise from the SI-TEX to the GX2150, but presumably not since it sounds like the setup works well.
    I'd recommend starting and sticking with an AIS equipped VHF (pick your make/model).
    The rest of my system is about wanting to be seen (the transceiver), and the convenience of having the targets on the graphic display of the chart-plotter.
    As Tom notes, in practice I use the radio display on the RAM mic and its function buttons (to drill down target info) more frequently than the chart plotter version.
    The "other advantages" boil down to having all your radio functions in hand, as opposed to translating from the display.

DH

Default Upon Reflection

So, I’ve been thinking this past week, but haven’t had much time for much more than reading here.
    Mostly that’s down to the increasing pace & intensity of an odd thing called a job.

Regardless, I’m not unconscious that I cast a rock with what (for me) was an intentionally provocative post re SH & DH in-the-bay racing over on the Corinthian thread.

Some of my thoughts
    Perspective
    A little bit of introspection (well quite a bit) has led me to the conclusion that I need to dial it back a bit.
    Yes, I’m competitive, and am mostly unapologetic about that.
    I grew up racing dinghies and I tend to sail fast regardless of the context. Or at least try to.
    BUT – good seamanship should temper that with a little prudence (or a lot)
    SO, going forth I’m intending to sail with a bit more perspective and, well, “flow”. And my head much farther out of the boat.

SH/DH
    I’m not walking much of what I said about being done with soloing in the bay on the same courses with large fleets of DH boats.
    In the currently oversubscribed environment, I agree with Bob that “it well and truly sucks” for an even moderately competitive Single Hander.
    Yes, fleet management is part of racing, but I would say that in the present context sailing in large fleets with mixed maneuverability can be out-right dangerous.
    I have the yard-bill from last year to prove it.

I am not unconscious that the RC tried to separate the SH & DH fleets with the starting sequence(s).
    The plainly stated fact is that this failed in multiple and predictable ways.
    This is not just about the epic pile-up at South Hampton Shoals. I’ve seen that movie before about ~15 years ago in a CYC midwinters (I think, its a bit fuzzy). At least this time didn’t involve a red 80’ aluminum maxi literally plowing it's way through the fleet from behind.
    What also occurred Saturday was the faster end of the SH fleet overhauling the slower end of the doublehanded fleet precisely as predicted at Blackhaller.
    I also had a Double Handed SC27 decide to camp on my breeze and draft my windward quarter wake for a good bit at the top of the run from LH to Blossom.
    As clear an example of a dangerous lack of understanding of the boat handling challenges of single handing vs doublehanding as I can think of. Ever.

Taking all of that together, I’m not backing off my previous position.
    Unless and until Single Handed and Double Handed are sent on separate courses with separate sequences I am opting out.
    Probably, but not necessarily, excepting the 3BF. my current thinking is that prudence would dictate a day on the race deck.

Some more? Yes, some more –
    I don’t think this is an identity or existential crisis for the SSS.
    That seems to me to be clearly hyperbolic.
    Solutions exist, they just need to be implemented.
    I’m with Chris Case here. If there is any way I can help to discuss, plan, or implement them, say the word.
    I will be there.

OK, that’s enough.
    It’s looking like a lovely weekend for sailing.
    Be safe out there

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 03-06-2021 at 09:59 AM.

The pandemic inadvertently caused the SSS to do a live marketing study. In less than 24 hours, 125 skippers signed up for a singlehanded-only Three Bridge Fiasco. 25 more skippers gobbled up any vacated spots.

The YRA ran two double-handed races last year, drawing 80 and 94 entries. Their 2021 doublehanded-only series is up to 82 entries. If SSS makes Round-the-Rocks singlehanded-only, it should fill up YRA's double-handed events. A full return to crewed racing will not, in my opinion, affect this trend. YRA's crewed events have been on the decline for years - and we need our YRA.

This makes the solution plain. Some of us have been pushing for it for years.

The alternative? Keep putting SH and DH racers in the same events. You can jockey around the starting sequences and courses but it won't change the number of boats and the inevitable pressure points. It's time to take some pressure off the organization, the race committee and the singlehanded skippers.

Long live the Singlehanded Sailing Society!
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-12-2021 at 11:16 AM.

I'll concede the point, it's a good one.

If that's what gets the job done, I'm more than fine with that.

Whatever makes Singlehanded Racing fun & safe again.

DH