Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race Participants

I'm proud and protective of our singlehanded race to Hanalei but here's my take, as shared with another SSS'er earlier today (with minor edits):

"As you know, I agree about the singlehanded emphasis. Note that the 2018 Shaka Challenge was also open to doublehanders but all six entries were singlehanders. I suspect PSSA feels the same way we do (their newsletter is called the "Solo" after all), but they are doing everything they can to get enough entries to put the thing on.

Here are my two concerns (numbered for your convenience

1) Brian supports helping them and we don't want to piss off Brian - we need him to run the race.

2) We know some of the PSSA folks - they DID come up and start at the Corinthian YC and race singlehanded to Hanalei with us. I'd hate to see any animosity develop between the two groups. That's why I'm sensitive to what's being posted about this on our forum - which they read. (Edited) The better thing is to get together and chat about our concerns."

At this point, I say "the more, the merrier." I think sponsored pros are a bigger threat to the SHTP than a couple of double-handed entries from SoCal (if there even are any).

Hopefully this isn't that much of a thread drift. Is finishing in Hanalei from SoCal the best course? Does being further north make a difference? Sleddog?

Let them do their own race, we should not combine our clubs races. The PSSA Shaka Challenge being held the same years as the SHTP is an issue for me and I've told Jerome that many times since he floated the idea so he could race his Mini from LA...... which he didn't even do in the Shaka Challenge. I feel the PSSA is riding on the coattails of the SHTP and takes away potential competitors. They could have held it on Odd years so SSS members could compete in their race as well but they decided to put it at the same time as the SHTP.... not cool in my book at all. Yes, they are free to hold their own race..... which I though was to Oahu for "easier shipping".... Now they want to come crash our party and finishing location as well??? Weak PSSA, weak.

The race will be held in conjunction with, and finish with the 2020 SSS Singlehanded Transpac.
    WTF???? This is something the current board approved? I think this is something that the membership base of the SSS should decide. Not pleased to hear they published this in their NOR. Let them race to Oahu like they pitched since the beginning of the Shaka and stop stepping all over the SSS toes. There IS a singlehanded race from the West Coast to Hawaii in even years and a chance to doublehanded every year already. I have pitched this many times over the years but I think the SSS needs a board of directors, not just current short term officers. The board would have to approve any changes to the SSS rules, etc. that the current officers want to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Hopefully this isn't that much of a thread drift. Is finishing in Hanalei from SoCal the best course? Does being further north make a difference? Sleddog?
    Hi Jonathan,
    There is no "best" course to Hanalei. Leaving from SoCal or SF Bay encounter roughly the same winds, sailing angles, Ridge and southern lobe of the EPAC High. SF to Hanalei is 2,120 miles and SoCal to Hanalei is 2,300 miles, a difference of 180 miles.
    Given the longer distance and a slightly higher probability of getting stuck in a "Catalina Eddy" as opposed to a "Southerly Surge," I'd guess the SoCal to Hanalei course would take the average singlehander about a day and a half longer to sail than starting at SF.

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    WTF???? This is something the current board approved? I think this is something that the membership base of the SSS should decide. Not pleased to hear they published this in their NOR. Let them race to Oahu like they pitched since the beginning of the Shaka and stop stepping all over the SSS toes. There IS a singlehanded race from the West Coast to Hawaii in even years and a chance to doublehanded every year already. I have pitched this many times over the years but I think the SSS needs a board of directors, not just current short term officers. The board would have to approve any changes to the SSS rules, etc. that the current officers want to implement.
    Their NOR has been taken down and according to prior posts in this thread, the replacement NOR won't mention the SSS or our race.

Not sure I'm going but if I do, I look forward to seeing these skippers.

After reading this discussion, my feelings about blending the finish & awards is undesirable Dilution. I would rather keep the SHTP distinct by its Tradition.

-Joe B. Archimedes

Default Three

Name:  2020 Participants.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  361.6 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.

This thread is one symptom of the reason I'm moving away from the SSS and planning on doing other things. I'll keep in touch with those I consider friends but the closed-minded mentality that leads to thinking, "this is our race, go away" boggles my mind. It's just sad. But, hey, this is not my fight. I'd rather walk away and be happy for the great memories.

Of course they can do and go where they want but I guess I'll be labelled with a "close-minded mentality" since I find it in very bad form to create an event with the same format, time and now finish location of another groups long running event. They could have simply held their race in odd years. Cheers