Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race Participants

There you go Gary. In the Shaka Challenge, your WS 32 rates 224 and the Olson 30 rates 96. The 100 point rating spread becomes 128. You could take the grand piano and billiard table.

They also let you race double-handed, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-15-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    There you go Gary. In the Shaka Challenge, your WS 32 rates 224 and the Olson 30 rates 96. The 100 point rating spread becomes 128. You could take the grand piano and billiard table.

They also let you race double-handed, if you're into that sort of thing.
    Interesting.

The Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association located in Marina Del Rey, California, is organizing the 2020 Shaka Challenge Race from Marina Del Rey to Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii. The race will be held in conjunction with, and finish with the 2020 SSS Singlehanded Transpac. The two races will be scored differently and will be managed individually by their respective clubs.[/QUOTE]

I for one think it is brilliant. Having two singlehanded fleets anchored in Hanalei Bay and mingling with our southern neighbors sounds good to me. Combined awards ceremony?

Me? not so much...
    Social aspects, ok maybe.
    Including this in an "official" race document and specifically the wording used has legal ramifications for the SSS and frankly pisses me off after all of the work done regarding trademark permissions.
    Also, why does PSSA get to ride the coat tails of 40 years of hard work by the SSS to promote their "rally"?

Call me ungenerous, or even elitist, but I think it dilutes the traditions and hard work to gain some level recognition for the way we run this event to imply the events are run in conjunction with one another.
    Even if that's technically contradicted by the following sentence.
    Calling Bullshit.
    DH

Did the SSS OK this?

Name:  2020 Participants.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  722.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Me? not so much...
    Social aspects, ok maybe.
    Including this in an "official" race document and specifically the wording used has legal ramifications for the SSS and frankly pisses me off after all of the work done regarding trademark permissions.
    Also, why does PSSA get to ride the coat tails of 40 years of hard work by the SSS to promote their "rally"?

Call me ungenerous, or even elitist, but I think it dilutes the traditions and hard work to gain some level recognition for the way we run this event to imply the events are run in conjunction with one another.
    Even if that's technically contradicted by the following sentence.
    Calling Bullshit.
    DH
    So, I'm winding back a bit of the stridency of the previous post.
    I will let others explain the thinking and wisdom of the plan to finish the two separate races in the same place at nominally the same time frame, but that is apparently the plan.
    What appears to me to have happened is that there was decision taken to share a destination and an "informal agreement" to share some logistics and a banquet between the 2 events.
    It's not my place to comment or second guess that; I have my opinions, but I will keep my own council.

From there, it appears that the PSSA took it upon themselves to write their NOR with the language regarding the Organizing Authority.
    To be transparent, the way this was phrased is problematic beyond the fact that it's self-contradictory and mealy mouthed.
    First, the SSS has a negotiated agreement with the Trans Pacific Yacht Club regarding the use of the trademarked word TRANSPAC. I'm not going to re-litigate that, or comment on the morality of who owns a word; It's a done deal and this use violates the SSS's part of it.
    Second, as an official race doc, this phrasing doesn't conform to the RRS way to state the organizing authority which is formatted the way it is because of...
    Three, as published the phrasing puts the SSS in the liability chain should something go sideways with PSSA's event. Yeah, that's likely a debatable point given the third sentence, but the reality is that lawyers make their money debating these things, and SSS would certainly be in the line of fire should the worst happen.

SO, with all that said, my understanding is that there will shortly be a re-issued NOR from PSSA, that properly states their event as it's own entity and leaves the SSS off.
    I'll now shut up and not second guess the rest of it.

Back to boat prep...
    OUT

DH
    Last edited by DaveH; 10-18-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    SO, with all that said, my understanding is that there will shortly be a re-issued NOR from PSSA, that properly states their event as it's own entity and leaves the SSS off.
    I'll now shut up and not second guess the rest of it.
    DH
    Thank you David for your explanation and concern. For those who did not know, as SSS Commodore, DH worked tirelessly and thanklessly fending off Los Angeles to Honolulu Race officialdom and their lawyers who had copywrote "Transpac," and wanted SSS to cease using their terminology and return all previous mention and momentos to them, including trophies and belt buckles to be melted down.

Long live Singlehanded TransPac!

And There's Still Only One Way To Earn This!

Name:  images-buckle.gif
Views: 1871
Size:  24.1 KB

Some history:

The PSSA approached me and asked if we cared if they finished in Hanalei. My response was simply I did nt see how we could object and agreed to approach the full board. This led to a discussion of sharing an awards ceremony and assistance with the finish line chores. Other than those two items the races are not combined. Regarding the use of the word "Transpac", they were not aware there was an issue, at least the current management team was not aware. The Shaka challenge was a reaction to the logistics of getting a boat from LA to SF and the return logistics of shipping a boat out of Hanalei.

The SSS board members have agreed to this approach. Most see it as a positive means of promoting more west coast solo racing.

My personal opinion is that we should have even more fun mingling with PSSA at the tree gathering with the three to five finishers from the LA basin. We seem to enjoy having cruisers in the Bay join us as well as a few live-aboards that hang around the Bay.

For those that have time on their hands please see my post about volunteering for the SHTP in Hawaii. Come join the team.

Regards,

Brian