Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Singlehanded Transpacific Yacht Race Participants

St Regis Hotel in Hanalei may shut down in March of 2020 for several months to renovate.

The rumor is the Hotel in Princeville may shut down through the period of the arrival of the SHTP race. This may put pressure on housing availability.

Brian

OK What ?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    St Regis Hotel in Hanalei may shut down in March of 2020 for several months to renovate. The rumor is the Hotel in Princeville may shut down through the period of the arrival of the SHTP race. This may put pressure on housing availability. Brian
    Thanks, Brian. I appreciate the heads up. Certainly any self respecting singlehanded sailor would only stay in the in Bali Hai Suite, anyway. It's $2941/night before renovations. Maybe the amenities are getting an upgrade? More threads per inch of material in the sheets, fluffier towels, colder champagne? Don't suppose they allow foul weather gear in the dining room?

After they get it all spruced up, I say we re-create the "Latitude 38 founder passed out drunk in the dinghy on their beach" scene.

Just for old time's sake...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    After they get it all spruced up, I say we re-create the "Latitude 38 founder passed out drunk in the dinghy on their beach" scene. Just for old time's sake...
    You write "we", Bob. If that means you are all in for the race, I will trespass with you in Hanalei Bay. You can be the drunk guy, I'll take the photograph.
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-22-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Did the SSS OK this?
    This is an important question. Thanks for the clarification, Brian.
    Last edited by AlanH; 10-22-2019 at 01:22 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    And There's Still Only One Way To Earn This!

Attachment 4803
    At the risk of whatever, my instincts are the same as the Hedgehog. Doing the SHTP from San Diego makes it even harder to get to the starting line but after so many years of dreaming there was only one way to get that buckle so Dolfin bashed up the coast to SF twice. Is it worth it? Do you really have to ask? I have mixed feelings about the PSSA joining in. I sympathize with with SoCal sailors wanting to share the experience but at the same time don't want to dilute the tradition of the SHTP. I'm just so proud to finally have those two beautiful belt buckles.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37

No one owns Hanalei Bay. Anyone can race there. The only thing being shared is an awards banquet. Is that really a concern ?

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    No one owns Hanalei Bay. Anyone can race there. The only thing being shared is an awards banquet. Is that really a concern ?
    Hi Brian -

I've heard that the sharing would include shore boat duty (should there be a shore boat), presumably transport to/from the awards banquet, in addition to the awards banquet itself. So I believe there's more on the table here than having extra chairs at the awards banquet.

From my perspective sharing the awards banquet is a concern. My concern is mixing the singlehanded fleet (SSS) with a doublehanded fleet (PSSA is inviting doublehanders to join their race); if the number of PSSA boats is small relative to SSS boats then sharing the awards banquet probably makes sense. What the SSS should not want is any chance of the singlehander's achievement being swamped by a larger number of doublehanders. Based on the SSS race entries in San Francisco Bay racing in which there are many more doublehanders than singlehanders, I would expect that over time more doublehanders will enter the PSSA race than singlehanders - and then the dilution occurs.

The SSS has fiercely retained the SSS TransPacific Yacht Race as a singlehanded event despite the periodically-raised idea of 'Why not invite doublehanders to race SSS Transpac? - we'd have more boats that way.' The response historically has been that if you want to race doublehanded then go do Pacific Cup, the SSS Transpac is for singlehanders. The PSSA Shaka Challenge does not seem to have this mindset - rather than have a singlehanded-only race to Hawaii they are competing with doublehanded division of the big LA Transpac race. I do not believe this is a good move by the PSSA, and the SSS should not want to get caught up in that competition in any way/shape/form.

- rob/beetle

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    What the SSS should not want is any chance of the singlehander's achievement being swamped by a larger number of doublehanders. Based on the SSS race entries in San Francisco Bay racing in which there are many more doublehanders than singlehanders, I would expect that over time more doublehanders will enter the PSSA race than singlehanders - and then the dilution occurs.

The SSS has fiercely retained the SSS TransPacific Yacht Race as a singlehanded event despite the periodically-raised idea of 'Why not invite doublehanders to race SSS Transpac? - we'd have more boats that way.' The response historically has been that if you want to race doublehanded then go do Pacific Cup, the SSS Transpac is for singlehanders. The PSSA Shaka Challenge does not seem to have this mindset - rather than have a singlehanded-only race to Hawaii they are competing with doublehanded division of the big LA Transpac race. I do not believe this is a good move by the PSSA, and the SSS should not want to get caught up in that competition in any way/shape/form.- rob/beetle
    +1