Thread: It was brought to my attention at the Vallejo 1-2

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It took me two and a half hours to get to the meeting last night, and I was ten minutes late. Seriously, I left my office at Stanford at 5:00. I got to the OYC at 7:40. I left the meeting at 8:40 to drive over to Ballena Bay to buy two spinnaker poles from a Craigslist ad. Now the Wildcat has a backup and I can shorten the other one for the Piper. I'm wearing the orange Around the Rocks shirt to work, today. Kudos to Gordie Nash for reading some of the names off of the SSS Doublehanded Season Trophy. It was nice to remember Paul and Dawn Miller. I see that they donated the Half Moon Bay Trophy. They were wonderful people, and I remember them fondly. I got to know them through SSS meetings in the mid-to-late 90's and early 2000's. I got to know them face-to-face, as people, not as "that red foul weather jacket on the Rozinante". or a boat name and registration number on an online database.

Driving home took me the usual 45 minutes. That's three and a quarter hours that I spent in the car last night, for a one hour meeting. Attendance at the meeting was 38 people. I counted. Yet there were probably twice that at the Vallejo 1-2. There seems to be no interest whatsoever in actually addressing the issue of attendance and the SSS community, so I think I'm done making noise about it. yay for the community building functions of jibeset and streaming video.

i was going to raise the issue of there being nothing at all about the 2020 SHTP on the SSS Website, but, you know.... whatever. I'm hoping to go again in 2022 or 2024, so I hope the race still exists, then.

peace, out.
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-07-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"