Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It was brought to my attention at the Vallejo 1-2

It took me two and a half hours to get to the meeting last night, and I was ten minutes late. Seriously, I left my office at Stanford at 5:00. I got to the OYC at 7:40. I left the meeting at 8:40 to drive over to Ballena Bay to buy two spinnaker poles from a Craigslist ad. Now the Wildcat has a backup and I can shorten the other one for the Piper. I'm wearing the orange Around the Rocks shirt to work, today. Kudos to Gordie Nash for reading some of the names off of the SSS Doublehanded Season Trophy. It was nice to remember Paul and Dawn Miller. I see that they donated the Half Moon Bay Trophy. They were wonderful people, and I remember them fondly. I got to know them through SSS meetings in the mid-to-late 90's and early 2000's. I got to know them face-to-face, as people, not as "that red foul weather jacket on the Rozinante". or a boat name and registration number on an online database.

Driving home took me the usual 45 minutes. That's three and a quarter hours that I spent in the car last night, for a one hour meeting. Attendance at the meeting was 38 people. I counted. Yet there were probably twice that at the Vallejo 1-2. There seems to be no interest whatsoever in actually addressing the issue of attendance and the SSS community, so I think I'm done making noise about it. yay for the community building functions of jibeset and streaming video.

i was going to raise the issue of there being nothing at all about the 2020 SHTP on the SSS Website, but, you know.... whatever. I'm hoping to go again in 2022 or 2024, so I hope the race still exists, then.

peace, out.
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-07-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Coincidentally, I visited with Ed Ruszel last week, and he had this photo of Paul and Dawn Wood. Here it is, just for you, Alan.

Name:  Paul and Dawn Wood.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  381.3 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 11-08-2019 at 10:48 AM.

I left Santa Rosa at 4:30 yesterday afternoon and arrived in Alameda almost 2-1/2 hours later last night. It's about 70 statute miles. And the Richmond Bridge was flowing okay with its 3rd East bound lane! That's why I suggested an 8:00 hour for the meeting instead of 7:30. (I drove back in less than an hour and half, even with 1 Westbound lane on the Richmond Bridge closed down)
    Yes, Paul & Dawn & Ed & Ants & Shama & Peter and several dozen other SSS folks from the 1980s, 90s, and into the 21st Century were/are really nice folks and helped maintain the club through some tough times. Building times. I hope 30 years from now the present day folks helping keep the club on course will be similarly remembered - that the SSS with continue to thrive.

I have a Vallejo 1-2 Story, which I may have told already (I'm one of the old forgetful ones). In 1983 the Vallejo 1-2 was my 1st SSS race. Started and Finished at the GGYC - a much longer day each way. In my Coronado 25 with no self-steering I placed 3rd both directions (and there were more than 3 boats!). I was exhausted & hooked & a number of decades later am looking forward next year's edition. Thanks to Don and the others who helped put on this year's race. Pat Broderick, "Cibola" "Amanda" "Elaine" & "Nancy"

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Sure - post announcements directly on the SSS website home page, along with sending an email from the SSS club to each club member. Those that don't use email (and it's likely at least one person doesn't use email), then they might want a post card

No reason to stop using the SSS forum to disseminate information, but it's unwise to expect information posted to the forum has the same exposure as something posted to the SSS home page.

- rob
    This is like the old and always-lengthy argument about requiring SSB radios in the SHTP. The SSB allowed all skippers to participate in the communication. This forum also allows for this. An announcement on the website or via Jibeset is merely a one-sided communication. To be frank, I think the website-vs-forum argument is more about some people's need for control.

In reading articles by vBulletin (this forum's software), it's clear that the biggest hurdle in building and maintaining a forum like this is getting content. We have that here, although it would be wonderful to see more of it, from a larger group of skippers and interested parties.

Sailing forum statistics show that despite the limited number of regular posters here, the SSS forum is one of the most active in sailing. With one or two exceptions, sailing forums average only 1-5 posts per month. I also receive e-mail updates to some sailing lists, and they can go for months without a single post. This forum is far more active than that, but it can die quickly if the handful of us who do post were to stop.
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I ran stats one time, for the SSS Forum, and also on Sailing Anarchy, and something like 5% of users generate 80% of posts. I think this is a universal rule, there are always a lot more lurkers than active posters.

Same with volunteers - in most organizations (and the SSS) <10% of the members do >90% of the work.

Fortunately, it's likely that some (many?) of the forum lurkers are actively involved in SSS activities, so the "community" and communication are happening here.

Ed Ruzsel's name reminds me of how he led the VHF cheerleading on LongPacs, Farallones, and other races. There was lots of friendly chatter and joking. Most skippers knew each other from attending SSS meetings, so I forgave Ed on a ocean race under "challenging" conditions when he VHF-ed to the entire fleet that I was displaying my "Marina del Rey" racing stripe. It was not the time to leave the cockpit to pull in the fender, so it dangled all the way to the Lightship until I went forward to wing out the jib (non-spin ocean division then) on the way back in. I don't know if Ed remembers, but I brought the offending fender to the awards meeting (no award for me!) and he signed it with a marker. Each time I used it afterward I was reminded to check to make sure I was racing on SF Bay and not Southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylieguy View Post
    Most skippers knew each other from attending SSS meetings, so I forgave Ed on a ocean race under "challenging" conditions when he VHF-ed to the entire fleet that I was displaying my "Marina del Rey" racing stripe.
    Photo by Kristen:
    Name:  LongPac Start.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  142.4 KB