Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It was brought to my attention at the Vallejo 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    I read the forum everyday in my list of reading the the newspapers online. I find it fascinating, entertaining, and full of news about our northern california sailing world. I do post occasionally. SDK
    I also read the forum, almost every day. My take-away is that the SSS is really special, there is nothing else like it on the west coast. It's sad that traffic makes it harder for many to attend meetings and being a volunteer organization definitely has it's problems. But Dolfin and I are in San Diego and there is nothing like the SSS down here. There's the PSSA in LA but there is no comparison. So my message is this - embrace what you have up there, it's really special, warts and all. Sure there are challenges but the SSS has always overcome them and I'm pretty sure you will continue to do so because what you have is precious and you don't want to loose it.

By the way, I wandered into Driscoll's boatyard in Shelter Island today and ran right into John Woodworth. He just crewed on a Hinkley from SF. What a treat.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Crealock 37

Whoever did it, thanks for the e-mail update via Jibeset and the update to the SSS Home Page. Apparently a poke now and then is effective, even if it's done here on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Whoever did it, thanks for the e-mail update via Jibeset and the update to the SSS Home Page. Apparently a poke now and then is effective, even if it's done here on the forum!
    Re that email update via Jibeset: the Cruise Down on Saturday, Nov 16 is to Sierra Point YC in Brisbane, NOT Sequoia YC in Redwood Shores. The devil 👿 Is in the details.

I really don't want this discussion to die out, so I'm poking it one more time.

What can we do to maintain...really, grow.... the SSS community again? More people show up to races than to anything else. An event where you stay overnight and sort of HAVE to socialize with the other people is a really good thing, wich is one reason I really like the Vallejo 1-2 and the Half Moon Bay race.. It's so easy to sign up online, show up at 9:30 on Saturday, race around the Bay until 3:00, sail home, put the boat away and never even know who was on the other boats.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I really don't want this discussion to die out, so I'm poking it one more time.
    Alright Alan, I'll byte.

Is the geographic center of the membership in Alameda?
    What if there was occasional variation in the Lat/Long of meeting places?
    Folks that normally would be overwhelmed at traffic mountain, would get an easy commute, and the East Bay folk could sit in traffic instead?
    Try to get North & South Bays in once each, the first year, and see if anyone salutes?
    Last edited by Intermission; 11-01-2019 at 01:58 PM.

In the days of electronic communication and social media I think it's simply a matter for the communication leader to decide what channel to use and continue to use it. A newsletter is the most commonly used tool. Happy to help getting organized with one.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I think we need a different way to build the community. I remember, when I joined, pre-internet, I looked forward to meetings where I could hang out with my friends and the men and women I admired, who were role models as I developed as a sailor. I think we need to bring that back.

How to do it?

Honestly, the Cruise-In's are a big help, but still only 6-8 boats show up. We could have 30.
    I'm not a member but follow this forum often. As a 99% singlehanded sailor, would be nice to meet others.
    For me, might be fun to try some SSS races, but the bureaucracy to participate is too overwhelming, so no.
    Regularly scheduled cruise-in events would be fun.
    Now, I'm down in Santa Cruz so it's a multi-day trip for me for any SFBAY event so it's difficult, but occasionally doable.
    FWIW. Probably not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Re that email update via Jibeset: the Cruise Down on Saturday, Nov 16 is to Sierra Point YC in Brisbane, NOT Sequoia YC in Redwood Shores. The devil 👿 Is in the details.
    I still don't find any reference to the SSS cruise-out on the SSS home page, nor the Calendar (linked to from the home page main menu).

As Don mentioned the Forum isn't for 'official' communications, and the cruise-out is not a race so it makes sense that reference to it would not appear on jibset. Oddly, the only place someone would discover the existence of a planned cruise-out is on the forum, and that only works for folks that look at the forum where they *might* run across mention of the event.

Tiger Beetle won't be able to make the cruise-out as I'll be headed down the coast.

- rob/beetle

I know I'm an "old" member and that things and methods of communication change, so here are some thoughts, tempted through that filter & some thoughts about today..
    1) The idea of giving t-shirts was an "advertising" gimmick. Wear the shirt; advertise the SSS. How about including the SSS website/Forum address as part of the design?
    2) Boat names for the 3-Bridge were my idea. The thought was if a boat name was on the shirt, the skipper might wear it more often, especially to sailing events of various kinds. Advertising.
    3) For awhile we tried a specific mailing to skippers who had sailed the race the previous year to remind them it was coming up the current year. And sometimes we telephoned them a few days before the Skippers Meeting to remind them again. In today's could either/both Jibeset and the SSS member list provide the same reminder function?
    4) Oakland YC meeting location. Historically the OYC has been the SSS meeting location, at first because of member connections, the fact they welcomed the SSS, and the fact that most of the boats participating in SSS events "lived" in the E. Bay. The actual "headquarters" was Shama's office (with its computer & her phone number) in Mill Valley (and the Mill Valley P. O). I think moving sailing meetings around to different locations can be tricky due to "tradition" and making sure everyone planning to attend is informed - and remembers. How about moving the start time from 7:30 to 8:00 to allow more travel time? The meetings are not very long, so that wouldn't push the going home time too late.
    5) About "new" SSS events (S. Bay Cruise, RAIDs. etc.). I think a general notice, either email or Jibeset in today's communication world.

Can we make the cruise-ins "official" events? As in ...on the yearly calendar. They wouldn't count for season racing points but if one or two were on the calendar next year, that would help.

Re:moving meetings. I see the logic of both views. "Everybody knows they are at the OYC"...so moving some from the OYC is confusing. On the other hand, it would be nice to to go a few!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"