Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTP 2020 Poster Ideas

Default SHTP 2020 Poster Ideas

Hi All, My first post here eeee. I've volunteered to design the SHTP poster, though I don't really want to design by committee, I would love ideas if anyone has some. So far Ants has suggested highlighting a specific SHTP historical event, for example a notable finish. If anyone has photos for reference or inspiration, that would help too.

Also, it would be wonderful if one or two people would volunteer to bounce sketches/drafts off of (Jackie?).

Many thanks in advance!
    ~c

Thank you, Carol! Of course! Send them over or post 'em here. No one will be mean to you.

Here's the poster for 2008's race, which featured 2006 winner Alchera, painted my Margaret Fago:

https://www.sfbaysss.org/resource/tr...r_complete.jpg

Since 2008 was the 30th anniversary of the SHTP, Synthia Petroka (SHTP Chair that year) re-started the SHTP poster tradition, after several SHTP's went by with no poster. Syn and Phil MacFarlane drove around on Phil's motorcycle, posting them up and down the coast, to announce the 2008 race and drum up entries. The sponsors shown at the bottom of the poster funded the making of them.

As I recall, past posters had also featured the previous race's winner. Here's a link to a couple of others:

https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...hlight=posters

If you choose to continue that tradition, Philippe's Double Espresso would be a good subject. It had many small images painted on its side (of what I don't recall), which would make it unique and easily identified.

Last comment: We can no longer use the word "Transpac" in the poster, since it has been reserved in some fashion by another race.
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-27-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Check pages 72-73 of the August, 2018 Latitude 38 for a spread of Double Espresso sailing in Hanalei Bay. I think the small images painted on her side are coffee beans!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Check pages 72-73 of the August, 2018 Latitude 38 for a spread of Double Espresso sailing in Hanalei Bay. I think the small images painted on her side are coffee beans!
    Correct, although they have been mistaken for lips by at least one person out there :-)

Wow! I was just reading about your SHTP journey or should I say preparation, Philippe. Even if you didn't win, I'd say your ambition and sheer will are worthy of a poster. I'm so inspired.

Bob, I love the idea of keeping up the tradition. Thanks so much for the little history of the SHTP poster, it was very helpful in giving me direction.

Skimming through Sled's thread is a great way to pass the time. I stumbled across this post from six years ago:

https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...=7719#post7719

More important, I found the painting of Skip's Wildflower. Skip and Wildflower won the race in 2008, thirty years after racing in the first SHTP in 1978. IMO it is right and proper that this special work, painted by Synthia's mom, was never made into a race poster. Wildflower was lost in a gale on her way home from the 2008 race.

Name:  Wildflower Painting.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  92.8 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-28-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Correct, although they have been mistaken for lips by at least one person out there :-)
    They do look like lips - or clam shells!

Name:  Double Espresso.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  178.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    They do look like lips - or clam shells!

Name:  Double Espresso.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  178.8 KB
    Yeah, but it's not like the boat is named " Kiss me knot" or "Safe shell". Note: I'm not offended, just puzzled as it didn't occur to me and I do have an inclination to see things where there aren't ...
    Last edited by jamottep; 10-28-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cklammer View Post
    Wow! I was just reading about your SHTP journey or should I say preparation, Philippe. Even if you didn't win, I'd say your ambition and sheer will are worthy of a poster. I'm so inspired.
    Thank you :-)