Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTP 2020 Poster Ideas

i always thought the graphics were cowrie shells. I have no idea what a double espresso is, if anything - is that a real thing?

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    i always thought the graphics were cowrie shells. I have no idea what a double espresso is, if anything - is that a real thing?
    This? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppio
    Not my boat name choice :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Not my boat name choice :-)
    I think the winner of the "not my boat name choice" competition is the Santa Cruz 27 that Alan raced to Hanalei: Ankle Biter

That name is right up there with the J/30 that's across from me at RYC: Preparation J

But back to the poster: Any other suggestions or examples for Carol?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I think the winner of the "not my boat name choice" competition is the Santa Cruz 27 that Alan raced to Hanalei: Ankle Biter

That name is right up there with the J/30 that's across from me at RYC: Preparation J

But back to the poster: Any other suggestions or examples for Carol?
    Yeah, sometimes you buy a boat with "History", you know? I couldn't change that name.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    Double espresso is what you order with profiteroles or creme brulee.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Skimming through Sled's thread is a great way to pass the time. I stumbled across this post from six years ago:

https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...=7719#post7719

More important, I found the painting of Skip's Wildflower. Skip and Wildflower won the race in 2008, thirty years after racing in the first SHTP in 1978. IMO it is right and proper that this special work, painted by Synthia's mom, was never made into a race poster. Wildflower was lost in a gale on her way home from the 2008 race.

Attachment 4823
    Carol is certainly welcome to borrow from Ruth Petroka's painting of WILDFLOWER that hangs here in the living room. Special boat that knew her way to Hanalei.

My suggestion is to portray a number of skippers at the tree while new finishers (not defined arrive over the horizon). It seems to me the strength and breadth of the SHTP history makes it special. Record times are subject to variable weather and improving equipment capabilities.

My suggestions for skippers in this scenario.

Norton Smith - first male finisher in 1978 and set record that held for 10 years.

Amy Boyer - first female finisher in 1980 in a Wilderness 21.

Ken Roper - entered and finished every time for 12 races.

Dan Newland - entered three time (1982, 1986, 1992) in three separate boats and was winner overall each time.

Linda Newland (Weber-Rettie) - sailed in 1980 and 1986. Second woman finisher. First and only married couple to sail the race (1986), and also sailed solo to Japan.

Skip Allan - sailed in 1978 and 2008 in same boat. Overall winner in 2008. Actively supports the SHTP with ongoing efforts in sailing directions, weather, and other manner I am not fully aware of.

Note - my suggestions based on tabulation of race results from 1978 to 2012. There may be other changes or suggestions when the full race history is reviewed.

Ants
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 10-30-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Typo

Anyone know the dimensions of the previous posters? It would be nice if the sizes matched, in case one were to frame and hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Cklammer View Post
    Anyone know the dimensions of the previous posters? It would be nice if the sizes matched, in case one were to frame and hang.
    Hi Carol,

Hope the below isn't too much information:

Name:  Alchera Poster.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  426.4 KB

My 2008 poster, above, of ALCHERA measures 16 1/4" wide x 21 3/16" high, including the supporters ad graphics on the bottom. The actual blue part of Margaret Fago's painting transferred to the poster is 12 1/8" wide x 16 1/4" high, including the course, start date, contact info etc.

You can see the original painting here, which Margaret describes as a watercolor 14x11.
    http://www.margaretfago.com/artworkp...eq.24353.shtml

If that is not enough info, Margaret's website offers the poster for $5 and says its 24x18.
    http://www.margaretfago.com/artworkp...eq.24344.shtml
    Last edited by sleddog; 10-30-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Thank you, Sleddog. That is the perfect amount of information.