Thread: Qualification

Default Qualification

Right now I am not sure what the future holds for next summer's racing. But I am pretty sure I need to get my boat from one port to another that's about 400nm away. I don't see any race documents for 2020 other than the NOR on this forum (am I missing something?) but in the past I recall that a qualifier is 400nm, all under sail, at some point no less than 100nm from shore, completed within 24 months of the race. If that's the case, I might as well put the qualifier in the bag next week. Anything I'm not thinking about that might cause me to blow the opportunity? I would expect that the usual logbooks and chartplotter tracks would be required, of course.

From the 2018 SHTP Race Requirements, with dates/years adjusted:

8. QUALIFYING CRUISE

8.01 Within 24 months of the Race’s starting date, the entrant shall have completed a qualifying cruise in the entered yacht. The qualifying cruise shall not be less than 400 miles and shall be made entirely under sail, non-stop and singlehanded. The qualifying cruise may be between two ports or may start and finish at the same port, provided that one turning point is at least 100 miles offshore. As evidence of the qualifying cruise, the entrant must submit a log on the form provided by the Race Committee.

8.02 At least one half of the qualifying cruise for a multi-hulled yacht shall be downwind.

8.03 The completion, in the entered yacht, of the 2016 or 2018 Singlehanded TransPac or if sailed single handed, the 2017 or 2019 SSS LongPac, will also meet the Qualifying Cruise requirement and no log shall be required.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    From the 2018 SHTP Race Requirements, with dates/years adjusted:

8. QUALIFYING CRUISE

8.01 Within 24 months of the Race’s starting date, the entrant shall have completed a qualifying cruise in the entered yacht. The qualifying cruise shall not be less than 400 miles and shall be made entirely under sail, non-stop and singlehanded. The qualifying cruise may be between two ports or may start and finish at the same port, provided that one turning point is at least 100 miles offshore. As evidence of the qualifying cruise, the entrant must submit a log on the form provided by the Race Committee.
    From previous discussion, "miles" means and should be edited to "nautical miles."