Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Better broaching for singlehanders

Quote Originally Posted by tiger beetle View Post
    - rob/beetle
    What an incredible story Rob. I've copied it in entirety in case I ever get to write a second edition.

Wow. Ray Thayer's story is epic. Thanks for sharing, Rob.

In 2008 SHTP, Don Gray on WARRIOR'S WISH, a Jutson 30, got a really tight, full length, wrap. Over 2-3 days of running under main alone, Don tried everything to get the spinnaker down the headstay with no joy.

Ultimately, Don, an ex-Marine, decided on a final solution. He taped a flare to his boat hook and lit the bottom of the wrapped spinnaker on fire. The nylon burned nicely upwards, kinda like a fuse. As the fire ascended the headstay, much of the sail remains turned into hot nylon particles that fell on deck, causing Don to take refuge in the cabin rather than roasting marshmellows on the foredeck.

Happy to say this unwrap technique worked, and Don was able to resume racing.
    Last edited by sleddog; 06-23-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Hi All. I was interviewed for a podcast about singlehanded sailing and some of the things I've learned (even stuff not in the book.) You can find it here:
    https://directory.libsyn.com/episode...WMIqXQKQRUeotU

And for those of you with their eyes to the stars, I just finished a relatively new theory (get it) on gravity and time dilation. It's surprising how I was able to use sailing topics in coming up with my theory. You can download my paper here:
    https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D771870...WMIqXQKQRUeotU
    Last edited by Foolish; 07-13-2020 at 12:03 PM.