Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Quote Originally Posted by solosailor View Post
    If a new main is not in the works I would go the "backup" main plan and carry both.
    I think so, too.

i spent a very hot day wood butchering the forward end of the sea hood. This took me HOURS, but then it's got three complex curves in it. One was done with a hand saw, mallet and chisel, with a surform plane at the end to smooth things out. Crude, slow, but effective.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

The sea hood / hatch scabbard is finished. I just need to screw it down on the hatch rails. Hopefully I can zoom up to Coyote Point and do this tonight after work.

Name:  SeaHood-painted.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  160.6 KB

I really should quit using sawdust to make fillets. They're plenty strong enough but wow, are they rough-looking.

All done. It's one of those jobs that looks better from 20 feet away than close-up but it's strong and I'm going to appreciate it!

Name:  dodgerand hood.JPG
Views: 1308
Size:  251.3 KB

Check that one off the list!

Nice work Alan.

Thanks, Greg!...now I have to decide if I want to move the cabintop winches, or not!

Lessons learned this weekend...

1.) This mainsail sets nicer with a reef in it than it does full-hoist!

2.) autohelm 2000 worked a treat....

3.) Open CPN on Android, running on my unused Tracfone cell phone is NOT to be trusted.

4.) most of the "tracking" messages my SPOT sends out, never go out. However, if I push the "I'm OK" button, they ALL go out. I'm somewhat less than overwhelmed by this product.

5.) I have to move the position of the autopilot plug. It's where it is, because there was already a hole put there by a previous owner. Instead of drilling into actual hull, I drilled a hole in the plastic cover that was over the hole. OK, so I know that the autopilot can control the boat, now. It's time to relocate the plug so I won't kick it out, which I did three times during the weekend.

6.) replace the stern light...which I just did, four months ago but something has gone kaflooie. It's getting juice, so the connection to the LED board has gotten messed up.
    Last edited by AlanH; 05-31-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Lessons learned this weekend...

It's time to relocate the plug so I won't kick it out, which I did three times during the weekend.
    I hate it when I do that.
    Does the new design of plug not have a threaded locking ring?
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

Alan and I were headed out to the Farallones one year when he realized I had turned around. My Raymarine drive had broken clear in half at the seal and fallen on the cockpit floor. The plug was fine however.

This is why I want a windvane. I have a deep-seated mistrust of electronic gizmos, on the water. I use 'em, but I don't trust 'em.

I think there's some middle ground in there.

Windvanes are pretty useless if you're racing to Hawaii with a spinnaker, especially on lighter boats like yours. They ARE very effective for making you round down as the boat accelerates, like when surfing down a wave.

The self-contained Raymarine cockpit drives (ST1000, ST2000) are good for hoisting sails while powering and light upwind work. That's about it.

I never had a bit of trouble with the Pelagic drive on Ragtime! - none whatsoever. On Rags the Pelagic drive worked better with the Raymarine computer and controller than with the Pelagic computer/controller. I would race to Hawaii without hesitation with Raymarine's EV-100 and the original Pelagic cockpit drive on a boat like yours or the J/92.