Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I really need to learn how to splice dyneema.
    Not so!

Soft shackles are more of a knot than a splice. I tied one at a Brion Toss workshop half a dozen years ago.
    The videos in that link show several ways to tie them, and what's really cool is that the soft shackles exceed the tensile strength of the material they were tied with!
    Brion told me his favorite use for them was attaching sheets to clews.

Disclaimer: [Only a one or two soft shackles exceed the tensile strength of their material depending on how they are tied]

If time is an issue, and money isn't, already tied versions used to be available at Blue Pelican in a few different sizes.
    Last edited by Intermission; 02-13-2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer, and BP plug
    The Sea is my Church; the Boat is my Pew.

I fixed the electrical problem on the boat. YAAY, me! it was two butt-joint fittings in the main power and ground wires going from the main switch to the electrical panel. Those wires are in the bilge. The joints weren't sealed and they corroded. So I cut them out, stripped the wire back to "good stuff" and put in new joiners....and sealed them both with silicon tape. I need to make a couple of "hooks" to get them out of the bilge, though, by suspending them up a few inches.

I still need to install the new panel for SHTP but now I have lights and an autopilot for the Corinthian race.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Wow. I'm sort of shocked at how expensive those low-friction ferrules are.

EDIT...oops, the Antal ones are half the price of the Tylaskas. What the heck is the difference?
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-14-2021 at 12:48 PM.

The Ronstan ones are even better priced.

Brummell splices in single braid dynema are very easy!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 02-15-2021 at 08:53 AM.

I made a spinnaker turtle today. All the materials except for the aluminum bar that will get bent to keep the mouth open was stuff I just had lying around.

I still need to buy that bar from OSH, curve it, and rivet it together, but aside from that, it's done.

EDIT: turtle is done. Now I have a bag to launch from. I might have made it a scooch bigger than it really needs to be.
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-16-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Finally, a major success, today. For starters, the NOAA wind report was so wrong it's almost comical. This morning it was blowing 27-30 with gusts to 37+. Whoops! Coyote Point Marina has installed a DAVIS weather station, and it's way out on the breakwater, out from behind the effect of the hill. So it's a pretty accurate report on conditions in RealTime. By the time I got there at noon-ish it had died down to 6 knots. By the time I actually got OUT there, it was back up to more like 15-18.

Well, OK, fine, says I to myself. I don't really want to practice setting the asymmetrcical the first time in that, but you know what? I haven't been SAILING in weeks. I went out in <5 knots for 2 hours to test the windvane, but I haven't been sailing in a decent breeze since my qualifier! So I decided to just stay out for 4-5 hours and SAIL. I needed it. All work and no sail is a dumb way to have a boat. So I tucked in a reef and headed up the bay.

Well, as we proceeded towards San Francisco, it got lighter, like it usually does. I thought...."I'll sail up the the usual wind hole behind San Bruno Mountain and see how it is." Well, when I got there, the water was flat at it was blowing about 5 knots. Cool! So I mentally reviewed everything I was planning, rolled up the jib, gybed the boat, tied my bowlines in clew and tack and set the asymmetrical spinnaker. OK, it went up with a twist in it. I've never packed an asymmetrical chute before. I'll do it differently next time. This time, I just went up to the mast and gave it a few tugs and all the twists unrolled. NICE.

I wound up sailing "pretty deep downwind" and reaching up pretty high just to see what I could do for about 45-50 minutes with no problems. The boat moved well, the spinnaker looks good to me, what do I know? I mean, I can't really see it behind the main, but in the wind I had, the autopilot could have driven, easily. I sailed back down into the heavier air down by Coyote Point and doused the chute with no issues in about 15 knots of breeze and the usual South Bay 2 -foot wind chop.

WIN

Everything worked, the pole works great (Thanks again Greg!) , I ran all the lines right (first time ever) and just...WIN, all 'round! YAY.

OK, we're looking tidier for the Corinthian race. I've taken off the windvane. I haven't swapped out the rudders, maybe I'll get around to that before Friday, but the boat steers just fine with the offshore rudder, with the trimtab on it, as long as the trimtab is lashed on the centerline. Should I take the solar panels off for the race? Hmmm. Maybe. Windage, you know?

I got all the wiring into the little clip-thingies that I made to keep all of it out of the bilge, so we're good, there. I'll make a few more to tidy up the autopilot wires. Measurements have been taken for the new electrical panel plywood. The boat got a bath, so now I won't get filthy by sailing it all next weekend. Finally, a mess of the wiring in the battery compartment is now labelled.

I sure hope the PHRF committee gets to my application. It's been in the YRA office for over 3 weeks, now.

========

I am considering what to do if SHTP 2021 doesn't happen. An October one-way trip to Mexico might be an option. I'm thinking about taking a month to sail to La Paz and maybe leaving the boat down there for a year or two. ~Thinking~..about it. Maybe. Or maybe I should take a week and do a Jackie Trip and sail the boat down to Catalina. Then pop over to Long Beach, pick up a couple of nephews and take them down to Ensenada. Then sail the boat back to San Diego and put her up for sale. I dunno. We'll see.
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-21-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Congrats on the maiden flight. I'd recommend leaving the jib up when setting/dousing the spinnaker.

If the race doesn't happen... after crying in my beer (maybe a few beers), guess a week or two in the Delta will be the order of the day (and more beer). But I hope not...

Quote Originally Posted by JimQuanci View Post
    If the race doesn't happen... after crying in my beer (maybe a few beers), guess a week or two in the Delta will be the order of the day (and more beer). But I hope not...
    There are definitely worse places to drown your sorrows

Name:  IMG_8286.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  143.9 KB