Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

In 2012 gale alley was in full operation as I approached from north of the Oregon border. I hung out for a day then opted to put a storm jib up and triple reef in the main, thinking like Sleddog that I would foot off. Just as conditions started getting brisk a passing ship out of LA reported to me that conditions were force 7/8 heading south. I had a pretty uncomfortable 24 hours with indicated apparent winds in the mid 30's at times. I pointed towards Santa Barbara and hid beneath the birth in a fetal position. At about 200 miles offshore it all lightened up, the boat once again was pointing at SF, and the ride into the Farallon was pleasant. As I recall the Buffalo was ahead of me three or four days and glided into the Bay area unmolested.

Funny story: I soloed Ragtime! back in 2006 and was a few hours behind Tiger Beetle (N/M 45) and Alchera (J/120) as we approached the coast. Gnarly it was. Rob and Mark were talking to each other on the SSB and they didn't know I was listening. One said "I sure wouldn't want to be on a little boat like Bob's in crap like this."

Some tabbing cracked where the forward bulkhead joined the hull, and the tillerpilot crapped out at some point, but otherwise all was well. What Skip got in 2008 was way worse.
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-25-2021 at 02:11 PM.

George "the Jockey" and I were doublehanding Hecla, the Hammerhead 54' trimaran that year for the SHTP return. We got a couple of days of the harsh conditions that were to set in. I remember thinking long and hard about how to handle the predicted gale alley weather ahead. We kept the pace up as we were approaching the nasty forecast since we didn't want to be out there long enough for the real bad sea state to set in. Hecla is fast, wind speed on any point of sail but closed hauled or DDW. I remember the night of 30-35k steady trying to keep her speed down to 10k so the leeward float wouldn't plow underwater to deep as we reaching toward the coast. So I was on night watch with George sleeping in the aft cabin and Hecla did a full hip check...... that's were you burry the nose of the float deep enough as the wave lifts the stern and you pivot on the tip, hip checking the stern into the water after it's airborne flight. It basically threw George against the starboard cabin wall. 12 day, 1 hour hour elapsed.

Since the word isn't getting out...I've withdrawn from the SHTP. I requested a withdrawal on Jibeset. That request is supposed to send a message to the race chair, but I'm still listed as a competitor.

I withdrew because my blood pressure shot to dangerous levels and stayed there for a couple of weeks, and what with SHTP 2021 being so wildly different from what I had anticipated being able to do, it didn't make sense to continue. Knowingly risking an aneurysm or something, "out there" is the height of irresponsibility. Fortunately, with the stress off, my blood pressure is slowly returning to normal.

Anyway, I fielded a couple of comments this weekend from people who didn't know I'd withdrawn.

I've withdrawn from SHTP 2021. Fair winds to those who still elect to go.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"