Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for SHTP 2021

You have that u-bolt through the stem where you can attach a bobstay. I'd do that to take most of the upward load, and attach the sprit as far out as you can, leaving as little on deck as you can get away with. Look at most Minis - they rely entirely on a bobstay and sidestays to support the sprit; in fact it hinges up at the headstay when not in use.

Then rig the tack line so you can ease it from the cockpit and go see how far off the wind you can sail. Get as much bang for the buck as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    You have that u-bolt through the stem where you can attach a bobstay. I'd do that to take most of the upward load, and attach the sprit as far out as you can, leaving as little on deck as you can get away with. Look at most Minis - they rely entirely on a bobstay and sidestays to support the sprit; in fact it hinges up at the headstay when not in use.

Then rig the tack line so you can ease it from the cockpit and go see how far off the wind you can sail. Get as much bang for the buck as you can.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about making a bobstay. I'd feel better about the loads on the deck with one set up, too!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

In case you all missed it: SHTP Update
    Notice of Race for Singlehanded Transpacific Race 2021 is now available on jibeset,
    https://www.jibeset.net/JACKY000.php?RG=T007588480

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Notice of Race for Singlehanded Transpacific Race 2021 is now available on jibeset,
    Do I detect a change of format? Race to Hanalei - Race Back with just a bit of time to recover in between. This means you get two races for the price of one. The Singlehanded Sailing Society continues to offer the best deal on the water.

Do I detect a change of format? Race to Hanalei - Race Back with just a bit of time to recover in between. This means you get two races for the price of one. The Singlehanded Sailing Society continues to offer the best deal on the water.
    Once Upon a Time, Jackie.....

There was a Singlehanded Race to Hawaii, and at the Awards Dinner, the clever Race Committee, who had figured out how many spouses, friends, s.o.'s and hangers-on would be doublehanding back to California....distributed...

Singlehanded Sailing Society
    Hanalei 1-2

t-shirts. I didn't do the race that year, but I was at the awards dinner and I remember a few people who got those t-shirts. I bet there are others on the forum who remember, too. If I remember rightly, the shirts were maroon. Gosh, maybe they were sweatshirts!

Terry McKelvey and Heli got a pair of them. Who else?

Already downloaded it! AND....the date is written in my Old Skool paper calendar!

Now that's what I call an aspirational wardrobe.

After working the real job all day I dashed out and did some quick epoxy work on the trim tab and the asymmetrical spinny pole.

Here are microballoons in epoxy for fairing the trailing edge of the trim tab, and the piece of red oak I put into the inboard end of the spinnaker pole. The pole got to me with a slot cut out of it, so that will be filled with sliced-up bits of carbon in epoxy. The whole thing will get a sanding to remove the paint and then a wrap or two of carbon fiber tape. That will change the diameter of the tube, so I'll have to duplicate the wraps up where the support point will be. I could have cut that part out, but I want to retain all the length of the tube that I can!

Name:  assy-pole-trim-tab.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  262.0 KB

The oak will get tabbed in there, and I might sandwich it between some aluminum. It will get drilled for a fast pin.

I decided to do it this way 'cause this is pretty similar to how one of the Forte carbon poles have their ends done.

Name:  image_bowsprit03.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  CTA_bow04.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  109.5 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-01-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Round one of microballoons-fairing/sanding is done and the trim tab is better. It's far from perfect. Should I do another round of fairing? I'll never get it perfect. --- Probably. ONE more round.

Which NACA shape did you choose? A NACA 12% profile is fairly forgiving as regards stalling as it has a relatively blunt nose. It's not difficult to create a shape from by plotting a template onto some paper, spray-glue that to some masonite, cut out female profile with band saw or sabre saw, and keep shaping until the trim tab matches your template across the length of the tab.

http://airfoiltools.com/airfoil/deta...rfoil=n0012-il

This assumes you have a fair bit of time available...

- rob
    Last edited by tiger beetle; 12-04-2020 at 06:26 PM.